Remove Advertisements

[Holy PVP] Casual Question: Shockadin Dead?

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Holy PVP] Casual Question: Shockadin Dead?

Postby Kiorken » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:03 am

Hey again,

Just a question on Holy PVP, mainly what used to be called Shockadin. I know its usually considered a joke spec, and doing so in the past would have meant you were strictly limited to PVP, but I have seen less and less of them. I have seen the Prot PVP DPS spec a lot more recently, and that is actually pretty neat as a PVP, and worked wonders for me.

Just wondering, has anyone actually seen a Shockadin recently...and were they any good?

Playing very casually....for now.
Kiorken

Re: [Holy PVP] Casual Question: Shockadin Dead?

Postby sherck » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:32 am

I spec Shockadin as my 2nd spec on my Holy Paladin in order to do quests and moneymaking activities. I do it because I don't like the Ret play style and don't want to carry a 2nd set of gear around as Prot soley to quest in. I cannot tank to save my (or anyone elses) life.

My gear is all Naxx-25/Ulduar-10 stuff. Every piece is spellpower plate with Crit & Haste on it.

My survivability is incredible in PvE; my DPS is typically right around 3k on single target and my mana regen through Replenishment is very nice. Also having a 2nd stun in Repentance is nice.

When I was on a PvP server, I would get jumped every now and then while mining and I was probably about 60% on winning those fights depending on class/equipment/skill level. But I suck at PvP.

Burst is pretty nice in that you can load Judgement, Holy Shock, Exorcism and Shield of Rightousness into about a 5 second window (with Haste shortened GCD). Say around 8-9k damage not counting any critical strikes. Prob more likely around 12k because I am running right at 36-37% Critical Strike change on Holy spells.

But then you are completely on auto attack, Ret Aura, Consecration damage for about 3-4 seconds before Holy Shock comes back up again and then you have to wait for Shield of Rightousness and Judgement to come back up. DPS really takes a dip inbetween your bursts.

Healing is solid because you are still carrying 2500 Spell Power.

That is my 2 cents. I would say it is probably dead in any competitive way in PvE and PvP if you are trying to run with the big dogs. But for my purposes, Shockadin is just fine.

Cheers,
sherck

Postby Kiorken » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:47 am

Sherck, have you tried your hand at PVP? And if you would, would you be more Offensive, or Defensive?

Kiorken

Postby sherck » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:35 am

Kiorken wrote:Sherck, have you tried your hand at PVP? And if you would, would you be more Offensive, or Defensive?

Not a ton....more BG than Arena.

It is variable....you are defensive initially with being in an almost healer role...SS on yourself or a target, Holy Shock as your reactive heal, quick FoL if not under assault, Cleanse as required, Hand spells as required, etc.

BUT, when an opponent is under assault and you see that your burst can get him down, you do a full out assault to get the kill and take him out.
sherck

Postby Akairoslol » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:54 pm

The only problem being is that while the mana on judge and crit is nice, the real strength of the spec (which I assume is 37/0/34) was the infusion of light. At the time when the spec was really strong, it took something like .5 seconds of the cast time of holy light, and with the other talent that takes time off the cast of holy light active, gave the caster and 1.5 second cast holy light in addition to divine purpose to stop us from being stunned at all. Nowadays, since infusion of light and divine purpose were moved further down each tree, it is a lot weaker. You still gain the crit and stuff, but if you want infusion of light you sacrifice divine purpose and if you want divine purpose, you can't get isntant flashes and must be content to gain Art of war procs on judge crits, etc, etc. Also since IoL was nerfed it no longer shortens the cast time of holy light, so infusions only grant instant FoL’s, which while enough to keep someone up in a average situation, isn’t enough all the time, and in a pvp situation where many people on your target, you WILL be forced into chain casting holy light, where divine illumination shines, you wont have time to judge in lets say 5's if your (class here) is being focus'd by a cleave team, or a destro/ele fireing squad.

Replenishment is nice and so is judge on mana, but you'll burn though that mana quickly and it’s nothing compared to what a deep holy has, a deep holy will have more longevity and spellpower, and if specced into prot, will have a much stronger sacred shield, and stun duration. As for the previous poster mentioning about bursting down teammates. That wont happen, gear is to good nowadays and a holy shock, weak shield slam, and weaker judge wont accomplish anything when you could have more survivability against that warrior that is bladestorming you for 2/3rds of your life. Not to mention that you wont have any hit either so those attacks could miss, so thats more things to worry about.

Go survivability spec if you want to pvp heal.
My 2 cents
Akairos, Scilla
There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary, and those that do not.
Akairoslol

Postby Kiorken » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:10 am

Ok, I went PVP Deep Holy (Again) and I am doing well. While my original intent was not to try to do lolHolydps, I just wanted to know if the utitility was still there. Looks like Akairoslol was more talking about arena, and Sherk more of BG's. I could see the difference. Thanks!

Kiorken

Postby Akairoslol » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:44 pm

Utility is still there for sure, but the longevity, and effectiveness overall of the spec is not. :(

Glad to be of help. :D
There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary, and those that do not.
Akairoslol

Postby sherck » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:43 am

I concur with Akairoslol 100%.

Like I said, I don't arena so my limited PvP experience was from world PvP and BG.

And in BG, unless you are playing against a pre-made, you rarely have good coordination between more than 2 opposing guys. It is much more of a free for all where you do get the opportunity to find some 1v1 battle going on and "jump in" for your burst damage.

But, I concur that as a "real" spec that is competitive in either PvE DPS or PvP ability, Shockadin is dead.

But as my farming/questing/run lowbies through instances spec? It works just fine.

Cheers,
sherck

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes