[Enh Shaman] Fun as the Other Hybrid

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: [Enh Shaman] Fun as the Other Hybrid

Postby Shoju » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:16 pm

Well, my buddy that is leveling his as enhance went with the herod + deathdealers + 1 mass of mcgowan.

if you work it right, you can have

Mallet of Zul'Farrak from 40 until 51, and then from 51 to outland use the 1h'd mace from AV (quest you have to pick up 'at' AV in Alterac).

He is in the low 50's now. He's not sure what he's going to do in outland, as he can get the Axe of the Legion at 63 which will last until 68 when he can get the Fist weapon in Borean Tundra, which will last until he can get the mace from AoA, which will last until he can get to 80 and get the Tsteel/AT weapon/H:ToC weapons.

The big problem with leveling an Enhance shaman is getting a 'pair' of good weapons. You can always find 1 nice weapon along the way.

For me, I have a priest, and I have

SHoulders
Chest
Mace
2X trinkets

Really the only thing that I want now that I don't have is a wand. Wands suck so bad for so long in the game, and they are just stat sticks once you get to 50 or so for a priest. (I don't use mine as much as I should I guess)
Shoju

Postby Koatanga » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:51 pm

I levelled my shaman with my wife's prot pally. I went Enhancement with my resto gear. We pulled entire villages and blew them up.

My heals were meaningful, and I still did about 75% of the DPS I could do in enhance gear (this is levelling gear we're talking about, so both sets were pretty crappy).

I've been wanting to run an instance that way, as an Enhancement healer. I think it would be a fun challenge.

And for solo levelling, big instant heals + puppies + rage = practically unkillable.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:12 pm

Honors: If you're going to level Enhance, which you should unless you're masochistic like me, then you want the hunter armor with an Arcanite Reaper until level 40, then 2x Mass of McGowans. Agility enchants work pretty well. The Lava Dredger would work up until 30, but then be vastly inferior to the Reaper due to it's horribly fast speed.

Don't touch the Elements gear for anything but a healing set or if you're Mr. Insano like me, leveling as Ele or Resto.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Levantine » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:06 pm

Levelling Elemental isn't THAT bad with Loom gear, Grehn. I did it on Anzen and while Enhance was faster when I swapped through Outland (I had a friend give me two Fists of Reckoning so I thought why not), it was painful unless I was fighting a nature immune mob.
Levantine

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:00 am

You are correct. With enough Int and x2 Heirloom trinkets it's not really that bad. Used to be terrible. Glad they fixed that.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby vegardhv » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:46 am

Question about enhancement shamans. I've gotten to the point where I'm spell capped and expertise capped. Now it's a pain everytime I pick up new gear because I either go over exp cap or below it, and have to swap around gems all over the place.

Would you say it's not a big deal if you're just a bit below exp cap? Or is it of utmost importance to be exp capped. And I guess hit rating is good above the hit cap, but I should prefer other stats like AP/crit/agi?
vegardhv
Maintankadonor

Postby Levantine » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:01 am

rawr.codeplex.com

Use it. Love it.
Levantine

Postby Hokahey » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:10 pm

vegardhv wrote:Question about enhancement shamans. I've gotten to the point where I'm spell capped and expertise capped. Now it's a pain everytime I pick up new gear because I either go over exp cap or below it, and have to swap around gems all over the place.

Would you say it's not a big deal if you're just a bit below exp cap? Or is it of utmost importance to be exp capped. And I guess hit rating is good above the hit cap, but I should prefer other stats like AP/crit/agi?

Short answer- I think you're fine if you let Hit/Exp. slip a little.

The long answer is that Hit and Expertise are always the 2 most important DPS stats as an Enhancement Shaman. However, if something is a substantial upgrade, particularly in terms of AP, it isn't a horrible idea to slip a point or 2 off the cap, and in reality it is likely to happen at some point. Generally, I consider it reasonable to be within 4 or 5 Hit rating of the cap (above or below), and 1 Expertise skill (above or below). Until an Enhancement Shaman is with in these value ranges, however, the upgrade in other stats must be *very* substantial to lose Hit/Exp., at least in my opinion.

Generally, I'd rather fall on the above side on Hit, and the below side on Expertise (every time I've tested it, the *actual* Dodge rate on a boss seems to be closer to 6.3%. Possibly explainable by RNG and good luck, though).
Hokahey

Postby vegardhv » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:36 am

Levantine wrote:rawr.codeplex.com

Use it. Love it.

Thanks hokahey and Levantine for excellent inputs. I used rawr few weeks ago when gemming some new gear. For the first time I was both hit capped and expertise capped, and needed new gems.
(although currently not capped because I picked up some new gear and have to regem/enchant possibly to reach caps _again_)

Rawr adviced me to using Stark Ametrine (+20 ap +10 haste) in yellow sockets. Could _not_ find a site on the internet like maintankadin for shamans, only the ones that are 2 years out of date advicing strength gems.

Anyway. I checked out other enhancement shamans on the server, the best geared dudes, and I couldn't really find a pattern to what they were gemming towards. All kinds of gems with crit, haste, attack power were used.

I guess there are diminishing returns for haste, crit and attack power? (sorry for this noobish question). And maybe one should try to get some sort of balance between the three stats?
vegardhv
Maintankadonor

Postby Epimer » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:11 am

There aren't diminishing returns on AP, crit or haste in the sense that avoidance stats have diminishing returns for tanks. 20 AP + 10 haste sounds like a very sensible option for yellow slots, really, but one way to find out for sure is to download Shock & Awe (an addon) and EnhSim (a standalone program, like Rawr, but much more fiddly and Enhance Shaman specific). With that combination, you can export your stats into EnhSim using Shock & Awe (remember to click off weapon imbues before you do!), and click Calculate EP values. You can then use the EP value of each stat to determine which is most worth gemming.

My gf plays an Enhance shaman as her main, so I try and keep up on the theorycraft to an extent, so I'm vaguely aware that there's a 21/50/0 haste build which becomes viable at higher gear levels and emphasises stacking haste wherever you can got it. Not that I'm suggesting that this is the best option for you (I really don't know enough to have an informed opinion here), but just mention it to show that it's not strange for Rawr to be recommending hybrid haste gems for you.

I'm not surprised that an armoury survey showed inconsistent gemming from several shaman on your server - it's not entirely obvious how one should optimally gem without using tools like Rawr or EnhSim to figure it out, and how many people really go to those lengths? (Not enough!)
Epimer

Postby Levantine » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:28 pm

Another way to put it is that stats for Enhance Shamans, especially haste, have varying effectiveness at varying points due to how their class works. This is why you'll see what looks like random ass gemming in a lot of high end Shaman.

Your best bet is to use Rawr and EnhSim in tandem to figure out what's going to get your the best bang for your buck, it's annoying and fiddly, but personally I like it more than my DK's STACK STRENGTH KTHX point of gemming.
Levantine

Postby vegardhv » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:07 am

Levantine wrote:Another way to put it is that stats for Enhance Shamans, especially haste, have varying effectiveness at varying points due to how their class works. This is why you'll see what looks like random ass gemming in a lot of high end Shaman.

Your best bet is to use Rawr and EnhSim in tandem to figure out what's going to get your the best bang for your buck, it's annoying and fiddly, but personally I like it more than my DK's STACK STRENGTH KTHX point of gemming.

enhsim is pretty accurate, when I tried last I got around 5700 dps in my gear, while getting 52-5300-ish on a target dummy (using shock&awe), but that's probably explained in slower reaction time than a machine and so forth.

I tried adding 200 haste on top of what gear I had, and comparing it to adding 400 attack power. And the results were pretty similar, varying in 5-10 dps or some such. So, yeah , I dunno.. Right now I'm at just gemming attack power in red/blue slots, and ap + haste in yellows.
vegardhv
Maintankadonor

Previous

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes