Raid Frames which permit custom groups

All things /script related

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, _Chloe

Raid Frames which permit custom groups

Postby Scotty » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:56 am

Until recently I've been my raids MT with a string of off-spec OT's. Finally we've got another main-spec tank in the raid, and we've started alternating. As a result I've decided I need to put some work in on my UI for those times I'm OT, or in 25's one of the OTs.

What I want to achieve is a very minimalist raid frame which will permit me to assign players manually into groups something like Tanks, Heals, Ranged and Melee. I then want a players bar/icon/whatever to change in some way if/when that player gets aggro from any mob.

I've been researching this a lot, and tonight I've installed and setup Grid and GridDynamicLayout. That MAY do the trick, although I won't know until the weekend when our next raid is scheduled. The manual interface for assigning players to groups is rudimentary at best with GridDynamicLayout so if it doesn't do the job dynamically I'm thinking I'll have to look for another approach.

So - I'm asking if anyone here has any suggestions on a addon or combination of addons which will achieve my goals.

Two things to bear in mind: I don't need a lot of bells-and-whistles in the raid frame ... I'm happily dealing with buffs and debuffs with Zomgbuffs and Decursive.

The other is that it needs to be fairly resource friendly - I'm already having to crank my settings down in TOC25 and a hungry addon may be too much for my PC, and I'm afraid a hardware upgrade is a little way down the track.

And finally - if this has been addressed already, my apologies, but I did several searches and didn't find anything.

Scotty
Scotty

Re: Raid Frames which permit custom groups

Postby Airanna » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:52 am

STUF Raid might work out for you. Lightweight, easily customizable, though I'm not sure about assigning groups by 'role'. I assume GridDynamicLayout requires you to define group members by name to do that, which is really the only way I can conceive of it working properly and STUF should support that with far less overhead. I use it for all my frames now and even in AV it's capping at 1mb total usage.
Airanna

Postby _Chloe » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:21 pm

_Chloe

Postby Scotty » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:04 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys

Airanna wrote:STUF Raid might work out for you. Lightweight, easily customizable, though I'm not sure about assigning groups by 'role'. I assume GridDynamicLayout requires you to define group members by name to do that, which is really the only way I can conceive of it working properly and STUF should support that with far less overhead.

I've had a quick look at STUF, but I don't believe it can do what I'm after. I'll look into more closely on the weekend.

GridDynamicLayout does permit you to assign members by name. It also attempts to do it automatically ... I'm not sure how successfully yet. The problem with manual assignment is that you have to type a players name into one of 4 text entry fields separated with commas ... which will get old pretty quickly given my raid leaders habit of switching people between their main and off-specs during raids.

_Chloe wrote:Perfect Raid.

Two posts made today in the Perfect Raid forum on wowinterface, one of which is by the addon's author indicate that it can only group by class. Given how druid heavy our 25 man raid is, sorting by class isn't going to let me achieve my goal.

Scotty
Scotty

Postby Levantine » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:07 pm

VuhDo can do what you want, iirc.
Levantine

Postby Scotty » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:44 am

Levantine wrote:VuhDo can do what you want, iirc.

Thanks for that Levantine - I'd not got around to VuhDo ... but I've tried it out now and it may well do the job.

I'll report back when I've taken it into a raid.
Scotty

Postby Koatanga » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:02 am

Vuhdo is my raid frames now. I have taunts and HoP on clicks for tanking, and healing spells for healing. Swaps automatically when I change to secondary spec. Control-click left is raid menu, control-click right is Vuhdo's special menu. It's very easy to set custom debuff alerts.

Works a treat.

The only place it falls over is if I get DC'd. I get nothing when I log back in until the fight is done. Not a big deal, since I mostly tank, but if I healed more it could be really annoying.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Levantine » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:34 pm

Koatanga wrote:The only place it falls over is if I get DC'd. I get nothing when I log back in until the fight is done. Not a big deal, since I mostly tank, but if I healed more it could be really annoying.

This isn't a problem unique to VuhDo, all raid frames do it.
Levantine

Postby Scotty » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:09 am

I took VuDoh to Uld 10 today, and found it quite successful in what I wanted to achieve.

Thanks to all who replied!

Scotty
Scotty

Postby unlimit » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:15 pm

OpenRDX would easily do this for you if you configured it correctly, the only problem is that you don't really want anything fancy, and you have the addons to do certain things for you (ie, decursive).

It could replace most of your interface in fact, the only drawback is that there's a large learning curve, and is annoying to setup if you don't want to spend a good amount of time attempting to do so. In my experience, it's been a lot faster and less of a memory hog than anything else I've used (though, I only RECENTLY *this week* began using it), but that's considering I've disabled the other ones that I've ended up replacing WITH OpenRDX in the first place.
OpenRDX Basic Guides: Forum Topic + Vimeo Channel
unlimit
Maintankadonor

Return to Add-ons, UI, and Macros