A question about Parry Hasting on Players

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

A question about Parry Hasting on Players

Postby Alberich » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:50 am

Hi folks,

I've tried to search for this but to no avail. A tankadin on my realm boards has been saying that players don't benefit from parry-haste on their attacks (i.e. player parries boss attack, next swing gains haste). Can I get a confirmation/denial from the minds wiser than my own here? My understanding was that this was the bonus of parry, in that it has a dash of threat with the avoidance and thus is why it was budgeted at a harsher exchange rate initially, and to this day still suffers from harsher diminishing returns.

Much obliged,

-Al
Alberich

Re: A question about Parry Hasting on Players

Postby Awyndel » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:47 am

Far as I know that has always been true.

The DR thing is correct too.

You should still gear for stamina though, if there happens to be parry on it fine. And you should still gem for agility, coz of the armor. So I guess this is about blade warding :P
Awyndel

Postby theckhd » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:53 am

Players definitely gain haste when they parry an attack, and there are numerous combat logs floating around to prove it. The testing I did to determine whether HotR deflects cause parry-haste was performed on another player, and I definitely saw hasted attacks from both melee parries and HotR deflects.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby lythac » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:35 am

Alberich wrote:My understanding was that this was the bonus of parry, in that it has a dash of threat with the avoidance and thus is why it was budgeted at a harsher exchange rate initially, and to this day still suffers from harsher diminishing returns.

Also when ratings were introduced dodging gave no rage but parrying did. Pretty sure it did.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Alberich » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:02 am

Thanks for the confirmation guys! The thread in question was specifically pointing towards Tankadins, and said person on my server posted:

Edit to add: A LOT of players recently are under the (very very false) assumption that players can gain parry haste. This is just -wrong- and is NO reason to stack parry. Even if we WERE to gain parry haste, unless we're expertise capped as well (not bloody likely), more swings = more chances for mob to parry, which is very very bad.

So I just wanted to control the flow of misinformation and find out if I had been misinformed myself.
Alberich

Postby theckhd » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:42 pm

Said person is unquestionably wrong. Like I said, there are combat logs that directly refute his claims.

Now go forth, and enlighten him with the 2x4 of knowledge
Last edited by theckhd on Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Awyndel » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:07 am

You still should not actively stack parry.
Awyndel

Postby Alberich » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:34 am

Right, I totally dig that you shouldn't be stacking parry, but it's not as awful as this guy is making it out to be... which is, he's saying it functions 100% identically to dodge, just at a worse conversion rate.
Alberich

Postby lythac » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:23 am

Well, I wouldn't attach any additional value to parry as the TPS you gain from your own parry hasted attacks is tiny. Agility on the other hand I would attach threat value to what is a defensive stat.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Argali » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:27 am

Awyndel wrote:You still should not actively stack parry.

But I do! To maintain the 1.88:1 ratio!
Argali

Postby Makaijin » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:18 pm

I would like to mention that parry haste only affects auto attacks and nothing else. If I am correct, it does affect both mobs and players in general, with the exception of some bosses where parry haste has been specifically turned off by blizzard as a balancing tool.
Makaijin

Return to Basic Training & Talents