[Ret-PvE] LF some DPS high end gearing advice

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Ret-PvE] LF some DPS high end gearing advice

Postby Magnusharkov » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:26 am

Hey guys, I have another thread about gearing, I'm looking for some suggestions as to the best way to improve my gear.

I'm currently raiding semi actively in a 25man guild but I miss a lot of ToC25 clears every week due to RL commitments. I do however attend a Toc10 hc clear most weeks where we have recently achieved mad skill 2 weeks in a row and are aiming for insanity. Anyhow what I mean from this is that I have fairly low DKP for Toc25 items but stand a good chance of eventually getting most items I want in ToC10 heroic.

Here's my current armoury
http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... gnusharkov

I recently won 3x leather items in Toc10, which all seem pretty good so I swapped out my iLevel 232 T9 gloves and shoulders. I also swapped out http://www.wowhead.com/?item=47082 for the leather DPS chest. This left me with a big hit handicap so I swapped to an old Pyrite Infuser (which I don't really like) instead of my wrathstone. As a result I gained a crap load of crit but lost some AP and hit in the process, overall a slight net gain though.

Anyhow, I am currently eyeing up buying the new badge hit trinket http://www.wowhead.com/?item=47734 to swap out my pyrite infuser. However if I grab this then I will probably end up replacing it again if I ever get a Death's Choice which will leave me needing a ton of hit on gear again. I'm debating whether it makes any sense to spend badges on it or whether I should save them up for if I ever get another 2x trophies so I can move back to 4pc T9 and go full triumph.

Do you think it would make sense to buy the hit trinket? Or should I try to restructure my gear to get hit elsewhere. Any suggestions?
Magnusharkov

Re: LF some ret DPS high end gearing advice

Postby fafhrd » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:21 am

if it's an upgrade in the mean time, keep in mind that you can just buy it, use it, and return it before the 2 hour refund timer is up :D
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Sagedin » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:49 am

Try to get:

Planestalker Signet http://eu.wowarmory.com/item-info.xml?i=47934

or get the belt from hardmode iron council:

Belt of Colossal Rage http://eu.wowarmory.com/item-info.xml?i=45241

or the hit belt from badges:

Belt of the Singing Blade http://eu.wowarmory.com/item-info.xml?i=45824

I'd personally go for the conquest hit belt. It only costs conquest badges which are pretty much useless at the moment anyways. You'll have to take back the glyph of vengeance though to keep expertise soft capped.
Sagedin

Postby Shoju » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:20 am

I would instead try and pick up a Shawl of the Shattered Giant. You will still be 'light' on hit, but I don't think that you will miss out on the 8 hit rating, and it's a very comparable cape DPS wise to what you are currently wearing.

I recommend this cape because you seem to be able to clear Uld10, and this cape is BoE, meaning you might even have one sitting around in a GB or something.
Shoju

Postby Palmela » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:14 pm

Rather than make a new thread I also had a question on ret gearing, I'm currently using a worldcarver but recently obtained the sword from 10 ony. Sorry I cant link from wowhead at the moment but heres a list of stats gained/lost on the switch.

From Worldcarver to Keen Obsidian Edged Blade
-8 Strength
+28 top end dmg
+5 expertise rating
+.10 weapon speed
-70 haste
+61 Crit rating

Is the loss of Str worth the gain in top end dmg and weapon speed? Something odd I noticed was that when I switch to the Keen blade I lose crit, is this from the loss of 8 strength really or is crit effected by weapon skill? My 2h swords isnt maxed while my axe skill is. Thanks for the help.
Palmela

Postby fafhrd » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:38 pm

Chance to crit, hit, be parried and I think to be glanced are all affected by weapon skill.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Shoju » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:25 am

Palmela wrote:Rather than make a new thread I also had a question on ret gearing, I'm currently using a worldcarver but recently obtained the sword from 10 ony. Sorry I cant link from wowhead at the moment but heres a list of stats gained/lost on the switch.

From Worldcarver to Keen Obsidian Edged Blade
-8 Strength
+28 top end dmg
+5 expertise rating
+.10 weapon speed
-70 haste
+61 Crit rating

Is the loss of Str worth the gain in top end dmg and weapon speed? Something odd I noticed was that when I switch to the Keen blade I lose crit, is this from the loss of 8 strength really or is crit effected by weapon skill? My 2h swords isnt maxed while my axe skill is. Thanks for the help.

Well, I can't pull you up on the armory right now, but.......

What is your expertise *unglyphed*?

IMO, +28 top end weapon damage, +61 Crit, +5 Expertise > 8 str, 70 haste

Haven't you found the super easy way to level weapon skill?

Go to Dalaran and visit Valaden Silverblade. Purchase This sword.

Go inside Violet hold and play whack a mole with the endless stream of dragonkin, dogs, and mages before the event.
Shoju

Postby Palmela » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:55 am

Hadn't thought of that, I already own the sword was gonna go to the self healing trees East of Dal, but VH is a much better idea. I'm at 22 Expertise with no SoV up.
Palmela

Postby Dakiros » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:06 pm

The answer to pretty much any ret gearing question is to get Rawr and see how the gear will effect your DPS. I've always found the ret model to be pretty accurate.
Dakiros

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes