how do YOU tank koralon?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

how do YOU tank koralon?

Postby daemonym » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:28 pm

So i've done this fight a couple dozen times in the 10/25 versions and each time i have been told "i'm doin' it wrong" (tm). odd thing is, i have tanked this encounter differently nearly every time i've been in and there is ALWAYS a handful that bitches about it. the way that i like to do it personally is to constantly kite him clockwise while back peddling (not slow RP walk style) so that it forces the melee morons out of fire. yet i've been told to:

-just move him when there's fire on the tanks only (screw the melee!)
-kite him constantly (screw the casters!)
-hold him in the same spot and 'spin' him around when there's fire on the tanks (screw everybody!)
-kite him when there's fire on the tanks OR the melee (screw your camera angles!)
-keep walking him back and forth (screw people that can't tell the difference between reddish-orange and orangish-red)

so i was just curious how YOU tank him. not looking for a strat or the 'proper' way to do things (as i have my way that works for me), just your own personally preferred method. maybe it'll help me get bitched at less in pugs O.o
Last edited by daemonym on Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Re: how do YOU tank koralon?

Postby KysenMurrin » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:19 pm

I move him in a circle around the outside of the room, only moving when a fire is under me or my co-tank. Usually make it halfway around by the time he dies.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:01 pm

My preferred way to tank him is to tank with his back to the entrance, then just strafe out of the fire when it's under me. There is ALWAYS a spot the melee can attack from behind at, they're just usually too stupid to notice. I almost always end up tanking him around in a circle, only moving if there's fire under me, because like I said, his entire backside is never completely covered in flames.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Xfighter » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:47 pm

I mainly move him if there's a fire on me/co tank, or if numerous fires are behind him. Or when I get asked to move him in vent (most of the time I'm running VoA 25 with the guild after a night in ToGC 25 to wind things down)
Xfighter

Postby Fridmarr » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:38 pm

I only move him when I'm on a fire. Melee will have room to DPS him with fires around him. You'd have to get a bit unlucky to completely lock them out, and they can always just say on vent/chat, to move him if it happens.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby vegardhv » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:21 am

Fridmarr wrote:I only move him when I'm on a fire. Melee will have room to DPS him with fires around him. You'd have to get a bit unlucky to completely lock them out, and they can always just say on vent/chat, to move him if it happens.

I tanked him once on 25 man, the DK off tank told me to just stand in the corner, and move out of the fire when that came, and it worked. I've also healed on this encounter, and was melee-ing the whole time, since I wanted to get as much mana as possible - it worked fine melee-ing behind him and moving out of fire. (that was on 10 man though).
vegardhv
Maintankadonor

Postby hoho » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:23 am

Depends on my mood. I usually spin him around but if I have to go to the middle to avoid fire I just backpedal. Noone has whined so far.
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby Avengeance » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:29 am

Thers absolutely no reason to move him at all, I dont know which guy invented moving him around the room which just makes it difficult for everyone. I tank him standing still at the back wall, if I get a fire under me, I rotate slightly to get out of fire without actually moving the boss.

Melee dps will always have a free spot to dps from. I find that if ppl start moving the boss you are causing fires to go all over the room and people have to start moving away because you are kiting the boss into them.
Avengeance of Boulderfist-EU
Guild Master of High Tempest
Avengeance

Postby Vandril » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:40 am

daemonym wrote:-hold him in the same spot and strafe around when there's fire on the tanks (screw everybody!)

This, there is more then enough space for the melees to strafe.
Vandril
Maintankadonor

Postby hoho » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:02 am

Just for the fun of it I should try tanking it in the middle of the room some day :D
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby Auroris » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:14 am

pretty much above post.

I just stand there and tell them to read the blue flame above their heads. It takes 2 steps to get out of fire, whether it's forward, back, left or right.
"Someday the Glory will Fade and only Memories will remain."
Auroris

Postby Teranoid » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:38 am

I don't kite them till theres fire underneath me and even then I only take a few steps back. In 10 man half the time he doesn't even make it halfway around the room.
Teranoid

Postby Fayia » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:40 am

Teranoid wrote:I don't kite them till theres fire underneath me and even then I only take a few steps back. In 10 man half the time he doesn't even make it halfway around the room.

Like this.

Considering that DBM yells at you to step out of the damn fire, I have to assume melee gets this warning too.

If they don't have DBM or don't read it - it is their fail any which way.
Fayia

Postby vegardhv » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:22 am

Fayia wrote:
Teranoid wrote:I don't kite them till theres fire underneath me and even then I only take a few steps back. In 10 man half the time he doesn't even make it halfway around the room.

Like this.

Considering that DBM yells at you to step out of the damn fire, I have to assume melee gets this warning too.

If they don't have DBM or don't read it - it is their fail any which way.

Yeah they do. And they don't have to read it, DBM yells it out, same sound as firewall in OS (IIRC).
vegardhv
Maintankadonor

Postby Fayia » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:26 am

Scary how many people still fail. Maybe they are teenagers and since those switch to "ignore" when mom yells at them, this might be the same effect that DBM yelling at them has :lol:
Fayia

Next

Return to T9: Argent Coliseum / Koralon