UPDATE: Your CAPtains: Crit, Block Hit and Expertise

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: UPDATE: Your CAPtains: Crit, Block Hit and Expertise

Postby jere » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:46 pm

I don't know if any of this info is helpful to you, but I did some testing on taunts back a while ago and posted the results at tankspot:
http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f14/5098 ... ssion.html

some of it would probably be out of the scope of what you want probably.
jere

Postby theckhd » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:53 pm

Corrections:
-In the second-to-last paragraph, you have 59 instead of 56 for the parry cap (you have it correct earlier in the article)
-From the numbers in the latest stat analysis, expertise is 69% the threat of STR below the dodge cap (19.83/28.81), 34% above the dodge cap but below the parry cap (half of it's value below dodge cap), and 0% above the parry cap.
-The avoidance value of expertise varies a lot, with multiple factors (swing speed, boss swing speed, avoidance, etc). I'm not sure whether I'd feel comfortable giving values quite as specific as you have. It might be fairer to say that it's about 40-70% as effective as dodge rating, and 2-3x more effective at reducing spikes, provided the boss has parry-haste enabled.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Racolus » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:06 pm

jere wrote:I don't know if any of this info is helpful to you, but I did some testing on taunts back a while ago and posted the results at tankspot:
http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f14/5098 ... ssion.html

some of it would probably be out of the scope of what you want probably.

Oh sheep. I read your post in Theck's thread and come over here then take a look in the Tankspot. I am starting to understand why my taunts work not that well against bosses.

With the gap increased to 17% we don't have enuff hit even with glyph. Perhaps this is an overlook/bug as Blizz suppposed to set the taunt glyph at 8% to eliminate our chance of missing (do they?).
Racolus

Postby xstratax » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:11 am

I would say that they did it on purpose. What better design method to make us want to get to the melee cap than to make the glyph only cover half (roughly) the needed gap.
xstratax
Maintankadonor

Postby Thalastor82 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:21 am

so, who does put the glyphe of RD? I had a tour around in the armory looking a the glyphing of people, and I saw few people with glyphed RD

Most people have (including me) salvation/vengeance/divine plea

But this 17% miss with hit disappearing from stuff is annoying me, and I don't really feel like gemming hit (prefere def)... In any case I would need a massive amount of gems.

What would you replace to put RD : salvation or vengeance? or what else?
Last edited by Thalastor82 on Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thalastor82

Postby theckhd » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:20 am

I carry a stack of HoSalv glyphs and a stack of RD glyphs around, and swap back and forth fight-to-fight as I need to. Most fights in ToC don't require HoSalv, so I'm usually running RD as my third glyph nowadays. The only coliseum fight I switch to HoSalv for would be heroic twins, or possibly heroic beasts (though that's basically a toss-up, neither is strictly necessary so I usually stick with RD for that just so I don't have to switch as often).
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby megalobrainiac » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:12 pm

Racolus wrote:With the gap increased to 17% we don't have enuff hit even with glyph. Perhaps this is an overlook/bug as Blizz suppposed to set the taunt glyph at 8% to eliminate our chance of missing (do they?).

If you have 263 hit rating to have 8% melee hit then you have 10% spell hit (26.232 hit rating for 1% spell hit). With the glyph you would then be at 18% spell hit, well over the cap.

Running with a draenei in your group your 230 hit rating translates to 8.76% spell hit, which puts you at 16.76% hit for taunts (still over, since your spell hit cap with a draenei is 16%)
megalobrainiac

Postby Racolus » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:36 pm

megalobrainiac wrote:
Racolus wrote:With the gap increased to 17% we don't have enuff hit even with glyph. Perhaps this is an overlook/bug as Blizz suppposed to set the taunt glyph at 8% to eliminate our chance of missing (do they?).

If you have 263 hit rating to have 8% melee hit then you have 10% spell hit (26.232 hit rating for 1% spell hit). With the glyph you would then be at 18% spell hit, well over the cap.

Running with a draenei in your group your 230 hit rating translates to 8.76% spell hit, which puts you at 16.76% hit for taunts (still over, since your spell hit cap with a draenei is 16%)

Yep, the problem is how to get you to that 263. Not many HoC tank stuff has hit on it.
Racolus

Postby Thalastor82 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:59 am

megalobrainiac wrote:Running with a draenei in your group your 230 hit rating translates to 8.76% spell hit, which puts you at 16.76% hit for taunts (still over, since your spell hit cap with a draenei is 16%)

And I'm a BE, so no draeneis for me :P
Thalastor82

Postby theckhd » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:23 pm

Given the extensive changes in 4.0/Cataclysm, I'm going to un-sticky this. If you decide to update it let me know, but I believe Knaughty and I plan on including most of this information in the 4.0 Advanced FAQ/Guide.
theckhd

Previous

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations