Remove Advertisements

Asking for help, once again

All things /script related

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, _Chloe

Re: Asking for help, once again

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:53 am

Usually each of the addons has its own "show button on minimap" option to turn off. I assume there'll be some addon somewhere that automatically diables them, but I just go through the extra effort of turning them off individually after a new update.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby isiz » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:50 am

guillex wrote:
Is there not a mod that will randomly choose a mount for you, that would effectively replace having a mount on an action bar? I remember reading that somewhere.

If you don't have too many mounts you can macro this with a simple:
Code: Select all
/castrandom [no mounted] Mount1, Mount2, Mount3
/dismount [mounted]

shift+click the mounts in the mount tab or type in their names. You are limited by the 255 char limit.

You will need to make two macros, one for ground and one for flying mounts, unless you want to always use a flyer if in a flyable zone. In which case you would use:
Code: Select all
/castrandom [no mounted, flyable] flyer1, flyer2
/cast random [no mounted, no flyable] ground1, ground2
/dismount [mounted]
ImageImage
Tuesday maintenance is merely a setback!
isiz

Postby Punkss2 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:26 pm

I use Livestock for my mounts. I have my ` button set to smart mount meaning that if I'm in a zone i can fly in, I mount a flying mount, etc. You can also choose which mounts it will randomly mount you on. I have land mount to randomly choose between Baron Rivendar's Charger and my Winterspring Saber mount. You can also set a random macro key for pets as well.

Also have you tried disabling addons one by one to see what was causing your video lag? I recently found that my SCT, SCTD addons were the cause of my video lag.
Thinking of starting WOW again....
Punkss2

Postby guillex » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:29 am

Punkss2 wrote:I use Livestock for my mounts. I have my ` button set to smart mount meaning that if I'm in a zone i can fly in, I mount a flying mount, etc. You can also choose which mounts it will randomly mount you on. I have land mount to randomly choose between Baron Rivendar's Charger and my Winterspring Saber mount. You can also set a random macro key for pets as well.

I'll give that a try. I saw on the Curse Updater that there are quite a few random mount addons, so I guess it's a matter of preference.

Punkss2 wrote:Also have you tried disabling addons one by one to see what was causing your video lag? I recently found that my SCT, SCTD addons were the cause of my video lag.

I was going to, but the problem with the lag is that it almost happened randomly. I couldn't pinpoint if it was ONLY when I logged into Dalaran, or after a loading screen, or what ... Getting rid of SexyMap seems to have cured some of it.

I'm pretty sure that LightHeaded is going to cause some lag, as it loads information on quests directly from WowHead. When I have the chance I'll be going through everything that's not critically needed in my UI.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Levantine » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:50 am

Most quest add-ons will cause noticeable amounts of lag if you're not running a top end machine. Getting rid of "Sexy"map was also a huge leap in the right direction. Give us a list of the add-ons you're using now and I'll see what I can do.
Levantine

Postby guillex » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:55 am

Levantine wrote:Most quest add-ons will cause noticeable amounts of lag if you're not running a top end machine. Getting rid of "Sexy"map was also a huge leap in the right direction. Give us a list of the add-ons you're using now and I'll see what I can do.

See first page, second post. =/
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Levantine » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:02 pm

1) You assume I read more than the last couple of posts.
2) You make it seem like the list hasn't changed, when I know for a fact that it has.

Bagnon and Combuctor. Aren't those both bag addons? Ummm, the quest and loot addons are going to impact performance. Lightheaded is awesometimes for levelling alts and shit, but turn it off on your main. Turning off Atlas will also help, Cartographer too, actually. Even if it's just when you're raiding.
Levantine

Postby guillex » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:00 pm

Levantine wrote:1) You assume I read more than the last couple of posts.

True. I keep forgetting that. ;)

Levantine wrote:2) You make it seem like the list hasn't changed, when I know for a fact that it has.

Also true, although it's only changed in the slightest. Here's the new one:

Levantine wrote:Bagnon and Combuctor. Aren't those both bag addons? Ummm, the quest and loot addons are going to impact performance. Lightheaded is awesometimes for levelling alts and shit, but turn it off on your main. Turning off Atlas will also help, Cartographer too, actually. Even if it's just when you're raiding.

Bagnon and Combuctor are both bag addons, yes, but I think only Combuctor is enabled on G. I know for a fact that only one of them is running.

Lightheaded is also not on for G. I'll disable Atlas. I quite enjoy Cartographer for the gathering info it gives me from other guildies who have it.

XLoot hasn't shown up on my highest memory using addons, but I'll give it a shot without. I was just getting tired of the regular loot/roll screen, tbh!
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Levantine » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:22 pm

From what I remember Xloot is fairly light, it's mostly just a cosmetic mod. Uhmmmmm, if you're getting a whole bunch of spam through your Cartographer, it'll bog you down a little, but as you said, it's helpful spam.
Levantine

Postby guillex » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:33 pm

Levantine wrote:From what I remember Xloot is fairly light, it's mostly just a cosmetic mod. Uhmmmmm, if you're getting a whole bunch of spam through your Cartographer, it'll bog you down a little, but as you said, it's helpful spam.

It's not even that much spam, to be honest... I'm mostly logged on during raid night, so most of the people who are logged in are in the raid itself, so it's not that bad.

I'll look at the other things, though. For sure.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Darkler » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:06 am

to just hand in some small addons to the list:

as said above, Livestock is great for randomizing mounts, can even be set to auto mount when crusader aura is activated. also mounts flying when able and ground when flying is not available.

as you are playing retribution mostly you probably already have good FCFS "rotation", but if you want to do that maybe a little easier i recommend Retribution FCFS helper, also known as clcret. it also tracks SoV stacks on multiple targets, art of war procs and cd on divine plea and wings, and can be modified simple to also show what buffs you want to show. ive put up vengeance (to see it doesnt drop off), and cd monitor of exorcism. anyhow, a really neat addon for rets. also it does work with prot spec, but can be deactivated to only show up when you actually respec to ret.

to get away from having loads of icons on the minimap, i use broker 2 fubar, but then you gotta have fubar, which i assume you do. that and the option to not display minimap icons in addon options save my map space.

to just add in a small and simple solution if you (as me) dont want to change from recount & omen - there is an option to hide recount in combat, and hide omen out of combat, which when activated gives that the two addons can be positioned on top of each other, making them switch when you enter and leave combat. just to make it look good and save screen space :)

oh, and btw, i almost forgot to mention two more lifesaver addons. first Power Auras Classic if you like to track procs/buffs/debuffs and such in a very graphic way. personally ive set up small counters for remaining time on seals, holy shield, divine plea, etc. and a big warning signal when time bombs are close (for when soloing threat from above) and a numerous other occasions (ie toasty fire in hodir hard mode, etc etc).

secondly i must recommend That Just Happened, which can be found on this site. a Lovely combat log addon, which lets you inform yourself and your surroundings of anything that can be tracked in the combat log! please have a look at it.

lastly - try to hide bars not used, ie bagbar, minibar, petbar etc, to only be visible when mouseover. i use this a lot, just to get a cleaner look on the otherwise quite crowded screen.
Darkler

Postby guillex » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:22 am

Darkler wrote:to just hand in some small addons to the list:

as said above, Livestock is great for randomizing mounts, can even be set to auto mount when crusader aura is activated. also mounts flying when able and ground when flying is not available.

I will definitely look into this mod then!

Darkler wrote:as you are playing retribution mostly you probably already have good FCFS "rotation", but if you want to do that maybe a little easier i recommend Retribution FCFS helper, also known as clcret. it also tracks SoV stacks on multiple targets, art of war procs and cd on divine plea and wings, and can be modified simple to also show what buffs you want to show. ive put up vengeance (to see it doesnt drop off), and cd monitor of exorcism. anyhow, a really neat addon for rets. also it does work with prot spec, but can be deactivated to only show up when you actually respec to ret.

There are a few ret addons out there... Including SHiT. I suppose I could take a look into it, but honestly, the ret rotation (even though it's FCFS) is so easy to remember, that another addon reminding me of a skill that's coming off cd is a bit redundant.

Though, the fact that it can track buffs/debuffs on targets is pretty nice... I'll give it a look. Is it light?

Darkler wrote:to get away from having loads of icons on the minimap, i use broker 2 fubar, but then you gotta have fubar, which i assume you do. that and the option to not display minimap icons in addon options save my map space.

I was having a great deal of trouble with Fubar, so I got rid of it. Also, you'll notice in my addons folder, that I have Ace2 and Ace3 libraries... I don't know which one I should keep, and which I should toss. I'd love to be using Fubar again, but it broke for some unknown reason, and I never go it to work again.

Darkler wrote:to just add in a small and simple solution if you (as me) dont want to change from recount & omen - there is an option to hide recount in combat, and hide omen out of combat, which when activated gives that the two addons can be positioned on top of each other, making them switch when you enter and leave combat. just to make it look good and save screen space :)

This I will definitely be doing. I completely forget that some addons allow you to choose when they're visible. That would let me move my minimap down between my chat window, and action bars... thus giving me space to move my EBB debuffs or something else into the top left-hand corner.

Darkler wrote:oh, and btw, i almost forgot to mention two more lifesaver addons. first Power Auras Classic if you like to track procs/buffs/debuffs and such in a very graphic way. personally ive set up small counters for remaining time on seals, holy shield, divine plea, etc. and a big warning signal when time bombs are close (for when soloing threat from above) and a numerous other occasions (ie toasty fire in hodir hard mode, etc etc).

Never really had a need for Power Auras, even though I've heard a LOT about it. Is it really that much of a lifesaver?

Darkler wrote:secondly i must recommend That Just Happened, which can be found on this site. a Lovely combat log addon, which lets you inform yourself and your surroundings of anything that can be tracked in the combat log! please have a look at it.

Modus' tread on TJH makes me weep every time I look at it. I think I'd spend forever getting it set up. But I've wanted to use it for a while, so I guess now's a better time than any.

Darkler wrote:lastly - try to hide bars not used, ie bagbar, minibar, petbar etc, to only be visible when mouseover. i use this a lot, just to get a cleaner look on the otherwise quite crowded screen.

This I'm still getting used to. ;)

I've actually moved all non-essential things into one bar on the right side of my screen, which is faded out until I mouse over. I'll see if my wife will let me on for a bit today, and make some changes... Then take a screenie and post what I've done up 'till now.

Thanks for all the suggestions ... Like I've said before, keep 'em coming, 'cause I'm REALLY not good at setting up a UI. Just like I'm still a half clicker =/ lol
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby isiz » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:48 pm

http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... ddons.aspx

^Great mod for you I think. It lets you set up add-on lists for certain occasions (raid, farming, 5mans, leveling) and then you can change your loaded add-ons with the click of a button rather than having to log out change your list then log back in. All you have to do is wait at a normal /reloadui loading screen for a bit.

I personally have it set up for AH, 10mans and 25mans and it saves quite a bit of time and hassle when I want to switch between activities.
ImageImage
Tuesday maintenance is merely a setback!
isiz

Postby trellian » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:11 am

For your question about minimap buttons, I use MBB (Minimap Button Bag).
It's a tiny addon which pulls all the minimap buttons in one single dropdown button.
trellian

Postby fafhrd » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:22 pm

Since you mention wanting to make the most of your real estate, and talk about minimap mods a lot I have to ask, do you really care whether your minimap is visible at all?

I accidentally hid mine with once, and found that I never actually missed it, since it's not useful for anything. Any time I actually care about things I'm tracking (i.e. if I'm herbing or mining) I'll bring up a full-screen overlay to show tracked nodes on a radar type thing centred on my character, which is a lot simpler to navigate than a minimap in the corner of my screen anyway since you just see nodes in relation to you, without any of the terrain. If you're not a gatherer or a class than can track useful things, you don't even need that.

Ironically, the best mod I've found for this map minimalism is also the one that's usually the most obnoxious in terms of eyecandy, SexyMap - if you set it to change map visibility on mouseover, you can make it completely invisible unless you're hovering over it, and you can bind a key to bringing up the tracking HUD I mentioned earlier.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Previous

Return to Add-ons, UI, and Macros