So, next Alt.....Shaman or Druid

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

So, next Alt.....Shaman or Druid

Postby sherck » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:29 am

My retired Holy Pally is my moneymaker (love Titansteel bar prices on my server).

My current Holy/Disc Priest is closing in on level 80 (Flasks anyone?).

I intend to make a healer of every class and will level a Druid or Shaman next during my off-time from gearing and raiding on my Priest.

Have BoA cloth chest/shoulders and SP mace with + 29 SP enchant on it (way OP at lower levels). Plan on getting at least the SP trinket before beginning my next Alt after I have geared out my Priest in badge gear.

Plan on leveling either the Shaman or Druid as their "caster" spec and then having them dual-spec into their "healing" spec at 40 for instances. Yeah, I know I could heal any leveling instance not specced for it but I want to learn the healing playstyle on the way up, not just starting at level 78.

So, opinions. Balance Druid or Elemental Shaman ?

Cheers,
sherck

Re: So, next Alt.....Shaman or Druid

Postby hoho » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:40 am

I leveled my druid about 2 months ago as balance with boa stuff and it was quite nice. You are awfully squishy before owl-form but at least you can heal yourself without big problems. 3-min innervate is godsent aswell.

My shaman is just around L10 atm, can't comment on that.
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby Epimer » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:50 am

I leveled my shaman as Elemental and it was ok once the mana efficiency talents kicked in, and a little painful before then. The problem with leveling as Ele is that the lower tiers of Ele talents are really dull and there's not much to look forward to until level 75 and Lava Burst. There's also that niggling feeling that you'd be an awful lot quicker just levelling as Enhance...
Epimer

Postby honorshammer » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:01 am

I actually just went through the same choice myself.

The Druids flexibility to be able to tank, heal or dps is really nice for the lower levels. There are very few tanks sub 58. Also, heal on each one to get a feel for which style you like better. You may be having a DPS role in mind for this toon, but rolling a heal capable and not at least figuring out if I like healing with that class was a mistake I only wanted to make once.

For me, personally, I enjoyed the Druid style of healing over the Shaman style.

Stealth is pretty cool. I was in Ungoro just the other night and the two Alliance were chasing me out of Marshall's Refuge. I dismounted, cat, stealthed and they had to go find someone else to play with.

Of course then as I was stalking them, I got spotted by an elite Devilsaur. How does something THAT big SNEAK UP on you!
honorshammer

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:55 am

It depends heavily on your own playstyle. I could never get a druid past level 16, but I blew through to level 39 as an Ele shaman in like 2 days.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Barathorn » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:53 am

I have both classes at 80 and I have to say that you have almost a feeling of invunerability with either class if you are sensible how you level and spec. I personally found the shaman less boring to level. I levelled my shaman as resto/elemental and the druid I leveled as Feral to 44 and then went boomkin.

Whichever you choose, I would reccomend going to the Exodar islands to level to 20 as the Nelf starting area is painful.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Punkss2 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:29 pm

Barathorn wrote:I have both classes at 80 and I have to say that you have almost a feeling of invunerability with either class if you are sensible how you level and spec. I personally found the shaman less boring to level. I levelled my shaman as resto/elemental and the druid I leveled as Feral to 44 and then went boomkin.

Whichever you choose, I would reccomend going to the Exodar islands to level to 20 as the Nelf starting area is painful.

This. I am currently leveling a shammy and druid atm. My shammy is at 31, and my druid is at 24. I've got the BOA shoulders, chest and weapon for both of them and it makes life soooo much easier. At lvl 30 I found the Shammy starts to get more fun with the spell that drops all your totems at once on one GCD, reincarnation and more importantly windfury weapon, oh and im lvling enhance, it seems much more fun than pew pewing IMO. As for the druid, once you get your kitty form at 20 it starts getting fun to play too. As for healing though, I don't do much of it other than healing myself so I cant speak as to which style is better.
Thinking of starting WOW again....
Punkss2

Postby uke » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:42 am

I started leveling both a shaman and a druid a while back at the same time.

The shaman sits rotting at about level 20.

The druid is now 80, rocking out as a boomkin, and is the most fun I've ever had at this game (including my pally, who's my AH player now).

If you're languishing at the pre-level 20 druid phase, just level to 20 as balance, then switch to kitty (or stay balance). Bear is terribly slow for leveling.

Consider:
-Only druids are able to fill every role in the game (melee dps, ranged dps, healer, tank)
-Swift Flight form is the most OP thing in the game. If you're a nightelf, shadowmeld+flightform is ridiculous and the source of QQ from other classes
-Typhooning people off of flying mounts and cliffs never gets old
-boomkins still have the best /dance in the game
-leveling as feral has ZERO downtime whatsoever. You're a non-stop killing machine
-do you like AOE farming? As boomkin: starfall to aggro half a zone+barkskin+hurricane gets you a pile of dead critters at your feet, even making prot pallys jealous
-skin and herb while in flight form. Aggro'd a nearby mob while herbing? No problem, just fly up, then back down when they reset.
-jump off cliffs to your death, and pop flight form to fly away to safety

Go druid. It's just too much stinkin' fun.
Pally's been relegated to AH duties.

RAWR'ing it up as a bear now, with a side of boomkin.
uke

Postby sherck » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:41 am

LoL, great post uke....love your PoV.

I think I have decided to level the Druid next. I think there is better overlap of my current BoA gear (Cloth) with the Druid so that I would have to purchases less Heirlooms in order to deck them out completely (need trinkets; have cloth shoulders, chest, 1H mace).

Probably plan on leveling Balance but will probably try Feral. Have never played with the whole combo point thing...could be interesting.

Thanks for the input, all.

Cheers,
sherck

Postby honorshammer » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:57 am

sherck wrote:LoL, great post uke....love your PoV.

I think I have decided to level the Druid next. I think there is better overlap of my current BoA gear (Cloth) with the Druid so that I would have to purchases less Heirlooms in order to deck them out completely (need trinkets; have cloth shoulders, chest, 1H mace).

Probably plan on leveling Balance but will probably try Feral. Have never played with the whole combo point thing...could be interesting.

Thanks for the input, all.

Cheers,

The combo point thing takes some getting used to. I'm still not totally comfortable with it.

By the way, the last patch added Predatory Strikes as a Feral talent. It was meant to allow Ferals to cyclone in Arena, but it may be the most awesome leveling talent *ever*.

Basically when you use a 5 point finisher, you get a buff that makes your next spell instant. Since your 5 point finisher will normally kill the mob, you shift, do an instant healing touch to full life and shift again. It's really amazing.

And because both shifts and the spell are instants, you can also do it if you get in a tough spot or are trying to solo an elite.
honorshammer

Postby amh » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:17 am

Swift flight form's overpowerness extends to more than gathering-skills. Any quest involving pick-up-this-and-this (mouse turns to a cog-wheel) is just a laugh as a druid. You don't even have to land, so most mobs won't bother with you at all. If you do aggro a caster, it doesn't matter, because most of them have cast-times longer than one second (standard quest-loot timer.. ish).

I hit 80 on my feral/resto-druid on sunday, and completed my zero-to-hero around last night (Superior! and 5k dps single target). Awesome class :)
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby beornus » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:29 am

honorshammer wrote:Of course then as I was stalking them, I got spotted by an elite Devilsaur. How does something THAT big SNEAK UP on you!

It sensed your dark side Honors, it somehow knew that you faction changed from Alliance to Horde lol!

BTW, great blog

I should have kept quiet and thought a fool then to have typed and removed all doubt.
beornus
Maintankadonor

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes