Avoidance Advice!

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Avoidance Advice!

Postby darkmanning » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:46 pm

This is my first time posting and have searched through alot of post to help with this but i'm not really to good with theory crafting so i thought i was post and ask for some advice. Im a pretty well geared tank uld25(hm)/HToGC gear mostly. Hear recently i have been wondering is the 102.4% avoidance still a valid number, if so, with having 102.4% make me block capped now is that correct? If my understanding is correct that basically mean every attack that comes at me will be blocked? If this is wrong please correct me i am just trying to get a firm grasp on some of this theory people talk about. Also in terms of 102.4% i have seen so many macros and variations of the macro but they tend to give me a bunch of different numbers. I currently use this one:

/script dr=function(x)return 1/(1/16+0.9560/x)end;DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Need 102.4 combat table coverage. Currently at: "..string.format("%.2f", GetDodgeChance()+GetBlockChance()+GetParryChance()+5+dr(GetCombatRating(CR_DEFENSE_SKILL)/122.962)))

Which when used gives me 101.57%, Does that mean i am going to be taking more damage or is the 102.4% just kind of a standard now with crushing blows no longer on the table? I don't know the who equation to use to determine it by looking at my stats but will link my armory and can take constructive advice.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Khadgar&n=Darkmanning

My biggest question is what the 102.4% exactly means now and how will i be effected if the above 101.57% is correct with the damage i take and what is avoided?

Thank You!
darkmanning

Re: Avoidance Advice!

Postby ulushnar » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:00 pm

It means you have a 0.83% chance of taking a normal, unblocked hit. That's roughly one in every 120 hits, or (assuming one mob with a 2.0 attack speed) one hit every 4 minutes from a raid boss-level NPC.

So yes, in that situation, you'll be taking basically your block value in extra damage every 120 hits.

But remember GotW alone will easily push you over 120.4% at that point. Or an agility scroll.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Koatanga » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:07 pm

102.4% is the block cap, after which no more block rating will help you. However, that is generally measured with Holy Shield up, as opposed to "passive block cap" whereby you would be at or above 102.4% without Holy Shield up.

At 101.57% you are fine, because raid buffs will easily push you over 102.4%. If that is with raid buffs, then you could use a bit more avoidance/block to top it up, but it's nothing to get very stressed about.

Block doesn't stop a blow, it just reduces that blow by the amount of your Block Value. Instead of getting hit for 25,000, you'll get hit for 23,000 (using 2000 block value for example). Being at or above 102.4% means that 2k will always be taken off the incoming damage. At 101.57%, there is a small (102.4% - 101.57% = 0.83%) chance you could take an unblocked blow.

What matters more is how you arrive at that 102.4%. If it's a lot of block rating, then it's not very good because while you will block everything, you will get hit a lot more than if you got there through avoidance (dodge/parry/miss).

So if you need to equip block rating gear in place of dodge/parry/defense gear in order to meet 102.4%, then it's not worth doing. If you block, you reduce a 25k hit to 23k. If you dodge, you reduce it to nothing.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby darkmanning » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:18 pm

Ok thank you, i just replaced my t8 pants with the ilevel 245 pants and my parry dropped below 20% and my dodge is at 25.6% just wanted to make sure everything looked ok or if anyone had a chance to look at my armory can give me some advice on should i change anything o switch out peices of gear. I mean we just did heroic togc tonight and but lowering my parry and dodge just a bit didnt seem to effect that much. Just when my stats started going lower i started getting worried that i may start getting mashed in Raids.
darkmanning

Postby Wrathy » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:43 am

From a specific gearing perspective, I would look to upgrade your neck and ring. Almost everything else you have is very well itemized. Your avoidance stats are fine, and you should buff up to "around" 102.4, but as other people have said, if you are swapping in BR to get there, it is not worth it, just take the one or two hits an encounter on the chin.

You also have a substantial amount of expertise, and while expertise is a good stat, you may want to consider moving some gear around to drop that down if you want to increase other stats. You could swap your bracers for the crafted ones, and swap your ring from the 10 man heroic Band of the Val'kyre or the Band of the Traitor King off anub when it drops.

For your gear level, and my personal opinion, you are lacking a bit of avoidance. Your HP is there, but you have traded a lot of item budget on expertise. If you can wait to get some different items, then you may be able to drop that down and buff up your avoidance.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby Meloree » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:23 pm

I'm going to go ahead and disagree with Wrathy (unsurprisingly).

I would a) regem your pants with a shifting dreadstone (agility/stam) over the delicate gem in there now, and b) enchant shoulders with pvp enchant (30 stam, 15 resil), simply based on the EH priority you've placed on the rest of your gear.

I wouldn't worry about your avoidance at all, really. The expertise will fall off (in trade for avoidance) pretty naturally with the gear progression path in ToGC (Tribute cloaks have no expertise, Heroic neck has armor and no expertise, 10-man armor ring has no expertise, T9.258 chest has no expertise, T9.258 hat has no expertise), but for ToGC you have plenty.

Also, taking an unblocked hit on occasion isn't the end of the world, and it's likely that with raidbuffs you get over 102.4, so it's a moot point anyway.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Return to Basic Training & Talents