Remove Advertisements

[25] Thorim

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[25] Thorim

Postby Xfighter » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:10 pm

My guilds been wiping on him for quite some time, with last night being our best set of attempts ever.

Arena is going fine, gauntlet is plowing along at a decent pace (they could speed it up a little, but arena is coping with the extra time needed fairly well). We have overcome the problems we had in phase 1, but now phase 2 is kicking our butts.

My question is, for a progression/typical thorim 25 kill, how many Lightning Charges should he have, before we kill him? The last few attempts we had he was hitting 15-18 stacks, and thus chain lightning was causing deaths. We were melee heavy, and they all decided to move away from the 60 degree lightning and stand on me & my warrior co tank, safe to say I got Chain-Lightninged for 70k due to the jumps + him having 18 stacks.

So, is him getting up to 18 stacks understandable for a progression kill, or is our DPS lacking near the end? Any tips on how to improve? Or should I just tell the raid-leader that our DPS really needs to pick it up?

P.S. Our gauntlet group seems to like keeping 2-3 mobs CC'd, so those mobs run down to the arena after a little while of having engaged Thorim, so DPS is side tracked for 30 seconds to a minute with that.

(Sorry for lack of a parse, but our parser had left the guild earlier this week)
Xfighter

Re: [25] Thorim

Postby Huon » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:25 pm

you know I never noticed how many he has when he dies, but even with hard mode and his extra hp and all, he never reaches 18 stacks.

I am thinking your dps is lacking, thats my guess anyways
Huon

Postby Salamandra » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:25 pm

While obviously you will take more time to kill him the first time than you will on subsequent times, you should never be getting to 18 charges, to get to that many your dps have to be completely awful or half of them are dead.

Given his not-so-amazing health on easy mode, the first time you kill him he should be at something like 12/13 charges. When on farm it should be more like 9.

Also, your melee dps should have a place to run off to where they're not near another group and won't get hit by lightning charge. Since it's easy mode and the ranged won't be particularly close, there should be plenty of space for a couple of safe spots like this.
Salamandra

Postby Xfighter » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:51 pm

Salamandra wrote:While obviously you will take more time to kill him the first time than you will on subsequent times, you should never be getting to 18 charges, to get to that many your dps have to be completely awful or half of them are dead.

Given his not-so-amazing health on easy mode, the first time you kill him he should be at something like 12/13 charges. When on farm it should be more like 9.

Also, your melee dps should have a place to run off to where they're not near another group and won't get hit by lightning charge. Since it's easy mode and the ranged won't be particularly close, there should be plenty of space for a couple of safe spots like this.

People (DPS) tend to start dieing off after maybe 2 minutes on Thorim, so that could be a big factor. I'll have a talk with my GL & RL tomorrow and let them know, that they need to stress the importance of avoiding the 60 degree lightning, and even so, need to pick it up on DPS. (Most of the DPS do good damage on other fights, but then again, other fights don't require them to be avoiding things and actually MOVING away, either.)

Thanks for the replies, because 18 stacks seemed like quite a bit to me, and just wanted to get an estimate on how much our DPS needs to pick it up.
Xfighter

Postby Seloei » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:58 am

Xfighter wrote:
People (DPS) tend to start dieing off after maybe 2 minutes on Thorim, so that could be a big factor. I'll have a talk with my GL & RL tomorrow and let them know, that they need to stress the importance of avoiding the 60 degree lightning, and even so, need to pick it up on DPS. (Most of the DPS do good damage on other fights, but then again, other fights don't require them to be avoiding things and actually MOVING away, either.)

Thanks for the replies, because 18 stacks seemed like quite a bit to me, and just wanted to get an estimate on how much our DPS needs to pick it up.

That, is the main reason why your dps might be failign that bad. They can't move away from the lightnings and die in 1 shot?

Or are they clumped up together in groups of 4+ and get one shoted by chain lightning? On our earlier tries we had chainlightning kill off 7 melee in one shot with 2 tanks included due to them not having a clue where to go.

Start off the fight by having a mage sheep one add, kill the rest. Then do placements if needed and make EVERYONE know that if they stack in groups of 3 or more they will die to chain lightning.
Seloei

Postby Dianora » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:53 pm

Weird 3.2 behavior in our Thorim attempt today. As usual, we split the raid into the tunnel team and the Arena team. I tank the arena side. However, for some odd reason, mobs that jump into arena near the tunnel completely ignores the center of the arena, where the Arena team is at, and run towards the tunnel, naturally, this wipes out the tunnel team. Is anyone else getting this?
ImageImageImage
Dianora

Postby Phez » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:22 pm

When we attempted Thorim last night we had the same issue with the adds running down the tunnel as well.

On another note about Thorim...last night our tanks were me (Stiffwrist) and a DK, the DK was initially the arena tank for our first couple tries and I was the gauntlet tank. The DK had issues with having his healer die (10 man) and we wiped twice. I was asked to tank the arena and had the same issues with my healer being 1-2 shotted.

I had consecrate up the whole time, I have RD mouse bound to (Shift+Left-click) and just tap the portrait. Even with using everything I could that wasn't on c/d some random mob would get a shot in on the healer and kill him.

The way we ran it was having everyone stack in the middle and I just lay down my AoEs and just pick them up as they come as best I can while dps does their AoEs. I've only ever tanked the gauntlet so this was my first time doing the arena fight and was just wondering if this was the "proper" strat or if there is an easier/better way to tank the arena.
Kierlyn - 85 Tankadin/Retadin
Lighthaven - 85 Feral Tank/Kitty
Gimbal - 85 Blood/Frost DK
Lots o' Alts
Phez

Postby fafhrd » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:08 pm

We had an add chase into the tunnel too last night. Don't think anyone was doing anything different.

We just CCd and killed it along the way though.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Seloei » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:32 pm

we've had adds jump into the gauntlet both times this and last week but i just picked em up and burned them while the hunter misdirected the first boss.
Both of the times they went for the druid who was healing me in there.
Seloei

Postby Sophotrates » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:10 pm

Since a few weeks, we got 25 man online to raid 25mans and tonight we've hitted thorim25 for the first time. We wiped alot on both gauntlet and arena. After a while, near the end of the raid, we finally got him down in the arena but then wiped at 25%. We had 4 tanks (2 pala's and 2 warriors) and all 4 died in rapid succession when he was at 50%, mostly cuz we weren't fast enough to taunt him off.

About the charges, we lost 5-7 ppl when he landed and the first 10 sec afterwards. When we wiped at 25% he was also at around 14 stacks and 40 sec untill enrage, so with all dps up we could've downed him in time no problem.

Am looking forward to the next attempt :)
Sophotrates

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon