[10 Heroic] Twin Val'kyr

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10 Heroic] Twin Val'kyr

Postby d503 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:04 am

This fight is significantly more complicated on heroic mode, as the damage is quite ramped up, and the colored balls do WAY more damage if the opposite hits you.

We had 3 healers, 2 tanks and 5 DPS and probably only got this to 50% over 5 or so attempts.

One problem we had was that we had uneven DPS on each side, due to how many healers we used. The healing was VERY intensive at times, and I'm not sure if that was a result of the people navigating the encounter improperly, or just the nature of the fight.

We were OK on the side with 3 DPS to get the shield down, but the side with 2 DPS definitely lacked.

We generally had the ranged switching targets when the shield went up to try to get more DPS too, but that could be difficult.

Any advice here?
d503

Re: [10 Heroic] Twin Val'kyr

Postby Meloree » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:09 am

We just brute forced it. We clumped up all the dps/heals with one colour on top of each other and just healed through the damage. For breaking the shield... we just got fast swaps, it didn't seem to be a problem. We tanked the twins about 5 yards inside their like-coloured portals, so they were only 15-20 yards apart, the ranged didn't have to move at all, and the melee were right on a portal to swap and move.

--
Meloree, <Edge>, Garona
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Belloc » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:18 am

As far as shields go, it might help to drag the bosses towards each other directly before a special goes off. I'm going to start doing that on our 25-man normals.
Belloc

Postby d503 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:23 am

Meloree wrote:We tanked the twins about 5 yards inside their like-coloured portals, so they were only 15-20 yards apart, the ranged didn't have to move at all, and the melee were right on a portal to swap and move.

What about Power of the Twins?
d503

Postby smeej » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:46 am

Does that ability even happen in 10 man? I've not noticed it.

You can brute force. For example, have everyone grab dark and attack Lightbane, on top of a light portal. That way if people have to change to light, it's right there. Then, once light is no longer necessary, dps/healers run over and take dark again. This is important because all the running and swapping is done after the special ability is over. In this example, it's not bad to have one of the ranged or healers stay light and intercept light orbs since there will be a glut of them.
smeej

Postby kanst » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:49 am

d503 wrote:
Meloree wrote:We tanked the twins about 5 yards inside their like-coloured portals, so they were only 15-20 yards apart, the ranged didn't have to move at all, and the melee were right on a portal to swap and move.

What about it? isnt that the buff that the other valkyrie gets when one is shielding
kanst

Postby d503 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:34 am

kanst wrote:
d503 wrote:

What about it? isnt that the buff that the other valkyrie gets when one is shielding

Power of the Twins - Increases Physical damage done by 20%, hit chance by 20%, and attack speed by 10% for 15 seconds. Used only if Fjola is less than 60 (?) yards from Eydis. Both Twins gain this buff.

Is what I keep seeing. It's definitely rape-on-skates to someone who doesn't have good gear.
d503

Postby kram » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:26 pm

d503 wrote:
Power of the Twins - Increases Physical damage done by 20%, hit chance by 20%, and attack speed by 10% for 15 seconds. Used only if Fjola is less than 60 (?) yards from Eydis. Both Twins gain this buff.

false
kram

Postby Soralin » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:04 pm

I single tanked this in 10mans without any difficulty (although the priest was riding me hard for threat on the one we weren't killing, since I deal reduced damage to him it was hard to generate any meaningful threat).

Wondering whether it would be viable to solo tank it on heroic mode. Thoughts to anybody who has done this fight on heroic? I sit around 52k hp buffed (and) am fairly well geared.
Soralin

Postby Sober » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:24 pm

A Power of the Twins does come up in 10-Heroic, along with a separate +20% melee haste buff
Sober

Postby kram » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:02 am

Its a buff the one that doesnt have the shield gains, once it gets that buff it also starts stacking a haste buff.
kram

Postby Passionario » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:32 am

I can confirm that PotT shows up on a Twin while the other one is casting Pact; however, I'm fairly sure that I've also seen it on Twins that were brought too close to each other (usually during a wipe or a botched pull).
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Bertman » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:48 am

right, we are at Twins 10 heroic now and I wondered how you all do it.

We tried to tank the two Val'kyr close to each other and had everyone dps the same Val'kyr.

We got them to 50% or so but we where running late so we had to call it. Going to try again tonight.

From what I've seen, there was no damage increase from tanking them together (although I'm not 100% certain - we where running late so we had a few attempts just to see if it was doable for us)

So, is it wise to tank them together? is it doable with one tank (heroic mode I'm talking about - sitting at 48k HP raid buffed atm)or just stick to two tanks? Is there anything special about positioning them? We just let everyone but my co tank get the dark buff and dps the light boss on top of a light portal so they could switch quickly.

Any flaws in this strategy?
Bertman

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:54 am

I think this fight is much simpler if you have an even distribution of colors for the simple fact that mixing colors means more people eating balls intentionally means less "oh hey here comes a swarm of balls that are not my color" and then you proceed to get run over by an entire herd and die horribly like James Earl Jones in The Lion King.

There's a fair amount of damage, but unless people are sitting there making no attempt to play dodgeball, it should be more than manageable with two healers.

I'd recommend looking at sources of damage to the raid, and that you throw wrenches at people who eat a lot of balls until they learn better.

Also, by splitting dps you don't have to change polarity when the shield comes up -- people just change DPS targets immediately. Depending on your raid DPS this may or may not work for you: you have to take into consideration how much DPS time you're losing to people running to portal, changing polarity, running back to boss. Given it's a 15 second cast, losing 5 seconds of DPS time probably means you will fail.

I routinely doubletank them in normal and have double tanked them for half of a heroic once; I do not think proximity is an issue (probably should have been tbqh).
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Belloc » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:39 am

Bertman wrote:right, we are at Twins 10 heroic now and I wondered how you all do it.

We tried to tank the two Val'kyr close to each other and had everyone dps the same Val'kyr.

We got them to 50% or so but we where running late so we had to call it. Going to try again tonight.

From what I've seen, there was no damage increase from tanking them together (although I'm not 100% certain - we where running late so we had a few attempts just to see if it was doable for us)

So, is it wise to tank them together? is it doable with one tank (heroic mode I'm talking about - sitting at 48k HP raid buffed atm)or just stick to two tanks? Is there anything special about positioning them? We just let everyone but my co tank get the dark buff and dps the light boss on top of a light portal so they could switch quickly.

Any flaws in this strategy?

I've been solo-tanking every fight in heroic 10-man except for Anub... it's the way to go, imo.

I have all of my DPS and myself go one color while the healers choose a different color. Healers run interference on the orbs, making sure that none of the bad orbs get to the DPS cluster. Best to tank NEAR an opposite color portal just in case you get a bad shield, because you won't be able to burn though a same-color shield. If you tank them on top of the portal, however, there won't be much time to avoid fresh orb spawns.

Tanking them together is a great thing because all of your AOEs (warriors, paladins, DKs, rogues, etc) will hit both of them, dramatically increasing your damage output.
Belloc

Next

Return to T9: Argent Coliseum / Koralon