Remove Advertisements

[holy-pve] Holy subspec topic (pulling from other thread)

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: [holy-pve] Holy subspec topic (pulling from other thread)

Postby Joanadark » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:31 pm

Looked at your armory again and it was ret gear! d'oh!
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Shoju » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:04 am

/sigh..... I doubt you will catch me in holy gear :( SO here, I made a chardev of my healing gear.

I respecc'd 51/20/0 over the weekend, thinking that I would get a chance to run some heroics, and easy naxx or something and figure it all out. Well, the guild was short 1 for the raid on saturday, and I knew that it was Ulduar so I figured that wouldn't be too bad.

We did:

Xt hardmode (1 shot)
Kolo
Auraiya (heal through defender, no killing it on purpose)
Hodir Hard mode (healed on the wipe, we needed more DPS, went ret and PWNED him in 2m 27s :) )
Freya +1 (first time we have tried + anything and we one shot it)
Mim

I think I did ok. I'm not a wizard of the healing logs on WoL the way I am the DPS logs, but I never went OOM, bosses died, tanks didn't, and I generally felt like it was a much smoother time.
Shoju

Postby Candiru » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:11 am

RE: imp lay on hands.

Assuming you have a priest/shammie healing the tank, they should have 10% anyway. This buff will only add 10% to that taking it to 20% which isn't really that great. Does the lay on hands buff prevent inspiration / ancestral from landing on the tank? As if it does than you also create a no-buff deadzone after it ends before the next crit heal.
Candiru

Postby Shoju » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:28 am

When I'm healing, I heal the tank. In 10 man stuff, you really don't need 2 people healing the same tank too often, and I can't guarantee that I'm always going to have an appropriate healer getting the 10% on the tank.
Shoju

Postby Medvih2 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:37 pm

Well your stats look quiet fine for your offspecc, i'ts even better than my holy stats, and its my mainspecc atm.
well the spellpower atleast. Are you gemming intellect?

I personally have the opinon of that over 2k healing bonus is overhealing. That's why i only gem for intellect.

Buffed i can reach a nice mana pool of 26-27k intellect unbuffed 21-22k, which gives more heals, the more intellect, the better.
I'm not really into all the healing fights, i just keep people alive. Haste is also very important, i have around 324 haste, aprox. 14,49%? look at my sign, its stated there :D.

I put the stat prio. in following order:

1. Intellect
2. SP
3. Haste.
4. Crit

Crit is still a major factor of healing in my opinon. Though gemming intellect gives you SP, Mana and crit.
I hope this information can help you with your stat thoughts.

Played on The Maelstrom since launch!
Medvih2

Postby Shoju » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:54 am

Medvih2 wrote:Well your stats look quiet fine for your offspecc, i'ts even better than my holy stats, and its my mainspecc atm.
well the spellpower atleast. Are you gemming intellect?

I personally have the opinon of that over 2k healing bonus is overhealing. That's why i only gem for intellect.

Buffed i can reach a nice mana pool of 26-27k intellect unbuffed 21-22k, which gives more heals, the more intellect, the better.
I'm not really into all the healing fights, i just keep people alive. Haste is also very important, i have around 324 haste, aprox. 14,49%? look at my sign, its stated there :D.

I put the stat prio. in following order:

1. Intellect
2. SP
3. Haste.
4. Crit

Crit is still a major factor of healing in my opinon. Though gemming intellect gives you SP, Mana and crit.
I hope this information can help you with your stat thoughts.

I have all int gems except a int/spell and an int/mp5 to cover the meta (or maybe one is for socket bonus) I need more haste.
Shoju

Postby TheBaldGuy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:05 am

Ok, slight thread necro but the corpse is still warm and this seems a better place than a new thread.

I am in a similar boat as the OP. Holy has been my offspec for about a month. As of tonight I've hit just under 2100 SP, have 21.5k mana (both unbuffed), and haste of 442. I'm healing in 10 mans, though we are currently running with 8 until we can get a few more people. Much of the guild is still naxx-10 level though we downed XT and FL tonight.

I am using the holy/ret spec, and am wondering how much better (or not) the holy/prot route would be for the above scenario. So, any advice from those who have been there (or theorycrafted enough to know)?

Oh, and I'm still in my holy gear: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Aggramar&n=Khordrin
TheBaldGuy

Postby Shoju » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:47 am

I promise you that at those levels of gear you will see a very noticeable improvement in your healing capability.

When I spec HOly, I'm 51/20 just Like I have talked about in this thread and it is an absolute blast to heal that way. I could not imagine going back to the crit build and being happy.
Shoju

Postby Corpsicle » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:47 pm

I think you should consider the 51/20/0 spec, at least for a night or so, if you dislike it you can always respec back. :) I love the spec and I think it looks like you have the gear to support it. You'll find it really shines in any situation where you feel close to overwhelmed by incoming raid damage, or high burst. Diving Sacrifice, Divine Guardian (and Aura Mastery) are just very strong to help manage incoming damage - and they do it in the right way by preventing damage from being taken instead of healing it up afterwards.

While you are progressing into Ulduar and working on content that is increasingly difficult, I expect you will find you appreciate the 51/20/0 build more and more. Progression is where it really shines. You will heal for more, and prevent more damage through Sacred Shield. Also, in ten mans you may not have a prot paladin or tree druid to provide the 6% increased healing to the raid. That can be an added incentive to sub spec prot, depending on your raid make up.

A few small, fast comments/suggestions on gear. Over all you have picked up the right pieces - two pieces that you should aim for as you can are the heroic badge libram: http://www.wowarmory.com/item-info.xml?i=40705 and the conquest badge legs: http://www.wowarmory.com/item-info.xml?i=45843. The libram lowers the cost of Holy Light by 5% and is better than any other libram out there, when you are looking to prioritize holy light 'spam' as much as possible. The other libram you might consider getting is the deadly gladiator's libram that increases spell power of Flash of Light (costs 15k honor now I believe, no rating/arena pts required), though only use it in settings where you are going to be almost exclusively casting Flash of Light or where the fight is so short that if you do have to cast Holy light suddenly, the fight will be over fast and you can drink afterwards - so mostly heroics and pvping. I'm sure you are aleady working on picking up the T8 chest, but the chivalric bp is really strong for the ilevel and will definitely tide you over until then. Finally, the int trinket out of normal mode ToC five man is amazing for the ilevel. If you can farm it out of there, it will be well worth it.
Corpsicle

Postby Joanadark » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:39 am

Another thing to note is that absorbtion effects are even more powerful in a 10-man setting than in a 25-man setting, so having the big boost to your Sacred Shield from Divine Guardian, especially if you also are running 4-peice t8, makes a very noticable reduction in tank spike.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby GothicPL » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:56 pm

TheBaldGuy wrote:Ok, slight thread necro but the corpse is still warm and this seems a better place than a new thread.

I am in a similar boat as the OP. Holy has been my offspec for about a month. As of tonight I've hit just under 2100 SP, have 21.5k mana (both unbuffed), and haste of 442. I'm healing in 10 mans, though we are currently running with 8 until we can get a few more people. Much of the guild is still naxx-10 level though we downed XT and FL tonight.

I am using the holy/ret spec, and am wondering how much better (or not) the holy/prot route would be for the above scenario. So, any advice from those who have been there (or theorycrafted enough to know)?

Oh, and I'm still in my holy gear: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Aggramar&n=Khordrin

I switched from ret to prot subtree after 3.2. The Illumination and intellect scaling nerf pretty much eliminated the ability to spam HL indefinitely at my gear level, at which point ret tree lost a lot of its luster. Instead, I ended up adopting a more hybrid playstyle that requires using other tools at my disposal. I beacon/SS the tank and use FoL on raid most of the time, using HL to cover high tank damage periods, and raid-wide CDs to cover high raid damage periods. For example, solo healing a Koralon group is pretty fun these days with 2 raid cooldowns (Aura Mastery and Divine Sacrifice), and ability to simultaneously heal both tanks during Meteor Fists (Beacon MT, HL spam OT).

As for spec, I've been running a slight variation of the prot subtree - 51/17/3. If you run with a tree or a prot pally, the idea is to move the 3 remaining points to the ret tree to improve mana efficiency for your various instant casts (Beacon, HS, SS, Judgements, insta-FoL, various hands.)

The new beacon encourages the part-time raid healer role for a holy paladin, and for that I encourage investing in mouseover macros to make target switching quicker.
GothicPL

Previous

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes