Remove Advertisements

[h.10]Anub'arak

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [h.10]Anub'arak

Postby Dalithe » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:29 am

Got this this week and it was pretty fun once we executed the kiting the correct way.

1 Burrow phase for Anub was the way to go, and highly recommended. We had 1 mage putting LB on 5 of the Ice Ball thingies (excuse my technical terms, I'm advanced ya see). Had a fury warrior with me on adds, I marked one and watched interrupts for Sinister Strike and the warrior watched the other. Tanked on Anub's ass and the adds died to aoe damage while we watched for their spell.

The adds are very squishy to melee aoe attacks (warriors, ret paladins as stated before me) and you really shouldn't need more than one dps to help watch for casts, if you don't feel comfortable watching both yourself. Never had more than 2 up at a time.
Dalithe

Postby Huma » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:52 am

we are stuck at this, we were at the footsteps of anub at 45 attempts left, and after 2 nights we called it at 20 attempts left.

first night we tried the 3 healing method, ppl were safe but we never saw the 3rd phase for like 10 attemtps, and took too much to practice kiting.

second night, i switched to 2 healing setup, group was,
resto shaman and druid to heal
warrior tank on boss me on adds ( i am in bv gear, blocking full hits )
shadow priest
ele shammy ( helpin interrupts )
mm hunter ( gets the patches )
arcane mage
boomchicken
arms warrior. ( which is on boss all the time to minimize the dps loss on him switchin to adds and boss )

everyone is nicely geared from totc25 man with some loot from 10 hc as well. so the gear shouldnt be a problem.

my game plan was, at the beginning of fight, all dps boss, resto shaman get 1 patch down near boss to get adds on it, as soos as adds spawn and on me hunter goes back to get 2 patches down ( we are doin this couse when we got patches at the entrance first sometimes it coused adds to slow down on their way to me and that coused slow add dps and some burrows and missed interrupts ) as soon as i get the adds on ice, we nuke them, after the first set of adds dead, ppl switch to boss and ignore the second set of adds. this results boss at 57-60 % when he burrows. as obvious, as soon as boss burrows dps nuke the 2 add on me and we do the kiting while we are nuking scarabs on way. boss comes up, we try to position the boss near a new patch down, or get the patch floatin around to get the adds on top, we burn the first set of adds, then switch to boss, this point is where we get the boss to -30 percent. there it starts to get ugly, we manage to get him to 15 percent, but got 4 adds on me which random oneshotted ppl with. i said we are goin to kill the 2 adds i have when we start the 3rd phase, but seems in the panic of 3rd phase we dont kill the adds fast enough so i dont have 4 at the same time. i tried to kite the 2 adds on me to let them burrow, get the other 2, that didnt work, still one shot somebody random.

Tbh i think there is LOADS of way to wipe on this boss and only 1 way to get him down, the only fight before this where i feel this lost was mimiron hard mode, and even that is easy when u perfect the phases ( maybe easy is a strong word but u get the point )

Do u guys have an suggestions ? any tips ? seems my game plan has it all covered, but we are lackin execution at 3rd phase.
Huma

Postby Jaesthenis » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:52 am

We kill it yesterday :

War prot on Anub
Pal prot (me) with BV set on adds.
2xHunter
Mage
Enh Shamy
Ret pal
Warlock
Disc priest
heal pal

Warlock kill 1 or 2 frost patch at the beginning, then the disc priest down 4 others before the first burrow phase.

Mage & hunters always stay on Anub'arak.

When adds spawn, I & the ret pal are in charge of interrupt sinister strike.

First wave > Down the first add to 40%, switch to the second till 40% then switch back to Anub'arak.
With co-side damages, adds are killed before the second wave spawn.

~10 seconds before burying, the war pull anub away, DPS switch to the second waves adds.
At this point, Anub is at 50-53%.

With 5 frost patch, kitting doesn't matter.

When Anub pops out, DPS switch back on it.

New wave spawns, DPS assist on them (except mage & hunter).

We use heroism/bloodlust when DPS switch back to Anub (Anub is between 35 and 40% at this point) and bring it in P3 shortly after the wave kill.

We have 5-10 seconds of P3 without adds, then a new wave pops. I take them.
About 20 seconds after, I pull them away in order to allow them to burrow.

New wave spawn, I take them too.

Anub was killed when this new wave spawn.

If necessary, we had 15-20 seconds left before first wave pop out (And even more with the 3 holy wrath).

MS effect is almost mandatory on P3.
Disc priest helps in P3 (Absorbed damage don't heal Anub :p)

My guild isn't any kind of hardcore guild (We haven't kill Mimiron HM in 10 players, and Thorim is the only Hard Mode we've done in 25)

P.S.: Sorry for my bad english, I'm french :p Don't hesitate to tell me my english mistakes in PM (So I can progress) ^^
Mande-étoile Jaesthenis, FR-La Croisade écarlate
Jaesthenis

Postby Kriskringle » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:07 am

Would it be reasonable to swap the positions of the Warrior and Palaidn tank in that strat? We were trying for a while last night, and one of the issues we kept running into was a couple of our DPS being threatcapped by our Anub tank, which made it difficult to get into p3 before a second burrow, even with an early Heroism.
Kriskringle - 80 - Duskwood
Greatfather Winter is a sham.
Kriskringle

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:09 am

I annotated a fraps of our 2nd h10 group's kill on Sunday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPrPi41hQbw

We had to make do with who was online, so the comp was stupid:

Bear
2x Warrior (prot/fury)
2x Paladin healer
2x Warlock
Boomkin
Rogue
Enh Shaman

My warrior has a 92% unhittable set, but is missing quite a few pieces as he didn't do Ulduar25 (other than FL and Ignis).

If your DPS is threat capped your tank is doing something wrong. Given that DPS has to switch over to adds at some point, the tank should have a good 20 seconds of free TPS. On my warrior, as soon as DPS switches to adds I pop Vig on the bear for added damage reduction for him and free taunt refreshes for me.

It's easier to have a paladin on adds as they can become actively unhittable easier than a warrior (Holy Shield), unless you build specific gearsets, in which case it's easier for a warrior to become passively unhittable (5% block via talents).
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Belloc » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:16 am

Kriskringle wrote:Would it be reasonable to swap the positions of the Warrior and Palaidn tank in that strat? We were trying for a while last night, and one of the issues we kept running into was a couple of our DPS being threatcapped by our Anub tank, which made it difficult to get into p3 before a second burrow, even with an early Heroism.

No tank should ever be threatcapping the DPS. If that's the case, they need to improve.
Belloc

Postby Kriskringle » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:52 am

Yeah, that's fair. Unfortunately, no amount of me agreeing with that is going to change the fact that I'm going to walk back into Anub's encounter with that same co-tank. Are there any suggestions I can make to make his job easier on the adds if we switch? Holy wrath and lots of blocking keeps things pretty easy for me; I imagine there's nothing warrior specific for him to worry about, but I thought I'd ask.
Kriskringle

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:20 pm

Who is assigned to what?

In my primary group, I tank adds, warrior tanks Anub.

If DPS pulls an add, stun it. Either it's dead by the time the stun wears off, or you have a taunt again. As a paladin, you shouldn't have problems with threat on the adds unless someone is being deeply stupid.

If you stick the warrior with poor TPS on anub, s/he should have plenty of solo-face time with Anub to build a comfortable lead. If he can't, we'd need to see some combat logs to see what's going on. He tanks well enough to get you guys to this point, so he can't be entirely Doing It Wrong.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Kriskringle » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:29 pm

The setup you mentioned was what we were doing. However, we only had one of our DPS move to the adds full time (to assist with watching for interrupts) - most of the damage came from AoEs tossed out by folks who were still focused on Anub. Both of our mages and our Ret paladin still got a lot of DPS in on Anub, so the tank never really got a break in order to build a threat buffer. We can try calling for target switches to get him that break and see if that helps.

As far as he goes, he's a pretty good player, but for whatever reason he's never gotten comfortable with some of the more recent changes in Warrior threat-gen. He has done a little research (with minimal results), and because our guild is pretty casual, I'm unwilling to say that he needs to buckle down and figure it out himself. However, I'd be very happy to post the logs of our next set of attempts here if that could generate some worthwhile suggestions for him!
Kriskringle

Postby Meloree » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:36 pm

Salv the biggest PITA dps regularily. You can use it once per above ground phase.

Make sure your warrior has vigilance on someone that's going to increase his threat... if he's putting it on you, it's wasted.

--
Meloree, <Edge>, Garona
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Kriskringle » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:01 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, yes and yes. I guess the implication of all this advice is that I ought to stay on the adds, thanks much.
Kriskringle

Postby fafhrd » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:22 pm

Huma wrote:we are stuck at this, we were at the footsteps of anub at 45 attempts left, and after 2 nights we called it at 20 attempts left.

first night we tried the 3 healing method, ppl were safe but we never saw the 3rd phase for like 10 attemtps, and took too much to practice kiting.

second night, i switched to 2 healing setup, group was,
resto shaman and druid to heal
warrior tank on boss me on adds ( i am in bv gear, blocking full hits )
shadow priest
ele shammy ( helpin interrupts )
mm hunter ( gets the patches )
arcane mage
boomchicken
arms warrior. ( which is on boss all the time to minimize the dps loss on him switchin to adds and boss )

everyone is nicely geared from totc25 man with some loot from 10 hc as well. so the gear shouldnt be a problem.

my game plan was, at the beginning of fight, all dps boss, resto shaman get 1 patch down near boss to get adds on it, as soos as adds spawn and on me hunter goes back to get 2 patches down ( we are doin this couse when we got patches at the entrance first sometimes it coused adds to slow down on their way to me and that coused slow add dps and some burrows and missed interrupts ) as soon as i get the adds on ice, we nuke them, after the first set of adds dead, ppl switch to boss and ignore the second set of adds. this results boss at 57-60 % when he burrows. as obvious, as soon as boss burrows dps nuke the 2 add on me and we do the kiting while we are nuking scarabs on way. boss comes up, we try to position the boss near a new patch down, or get the patch floatin around to get the adds on top, we burn the first set of adds, then switch to boss, this point is where we get the boss to -30 percent. there it starts to get ugly, we manage to get him to 15 percent, but got 4 adds on me which random oneshotted ppl with. i said we are goin to kill the 2 adds i have when we start the 3rd phase, but seems in the panic of 3rd phase we dont kill the adds fast enough so i dont have 4 at the same time. i tried to kite the 2 adds on me to let them burrow, get the other 2, that didnt work, still one shot somebody random.

Tbh i think there is LOADS of way to wipe on this boss and only 1 way to get him down, the only fight before this where i feel this lost was mimiron hard mode, and even that is easy when u perfect the phases ( maybe easy is a strong word but u get the point )

Do u guys have an suggestions ? any tips ? seems my game plan has it all covered, but we are lackin execution at 3rd phase.

Well it sounds like you have everything working fine other than P3. I'm not sure what there is to panic about in going into p3, call out on vent which waves of adds to kill and which to ignore, to make sure they kill the ones that are up at the start of P3. Figuring out the balance of DPS needed between boss and adds can bet tricky, we lost mad skill our first and 2nd weeks there trying to figure it out. Eventually we settled on the same kill order as you, but with all DPS switching to kill adds whenever we hit a wave we intended to kill, and promptly got mad skill and insanity the next 2 weeks. Assuming your DPS are good, the hardest part of P3 (for my raid anyway) is the healers keeping everyone low while keeping people with penetrating cold from dying. Keeping everyone else low on health is important since it greatly shortens the whole phase.

I don't think there's only one way to kill him. People do it with varying numbers of healers, varying types of tanks, 1 burrow, two burrow or no burrows. We actually had anub at 35% when he did his first burrow this week, think we could have done the fight without any burrows if we had a shaman in the raid to cast heroism.

This doesn't help your P3, but have your resto druid killing orbs instead of resto shaman/hunter. Resto druid can apparently kill them in a single moonfire, losing nothing other than a GCD, whereas hunter and resto shaman both lose a lot of damage/healing moving around to shoot something down, as well as from changing targets. The moonfire doesn't instantly kill them, but the DoT from it does.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Huma » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:18 am

Thnx for ur reply and tips fafhrd, we managed to get to him with 50 attempts left tonight and will continue that run friday, i hope we get him down with some achievemnt :D 45+ would be lovely

btw, what was ur dps setup with that 35 % at the first burrow ? it will make the fight very easy if the burrow can be avoided.
Huma

Postby Hurlrage » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:27 am

Hello fellow tanks,

We arrived on Anub with something as 40 try left and spend them wiping on him.

Setup :
3 heals shaman, druid, disc priest
1 hunter
1 shadow priest
1 demo
1 rogue
1 retpal
1 dk tank on anub
1 tankadin on adds

Despite an awful lot of wipe on P2, we did reach P3 on a few occasions in good shape to get him down. But there I went in a world of pain trying to taunt the waves of adds correctly. The boss has a huge hitbox and with the time needed to turn the camera to be able to target an add it usually had a clothie as breakfist, or I was missing a shadow strike cast - which ended the same way. It went downhill at that point.

Any tips to taunt the adds running to your dps/heal with the boss between you and them ?
Hurlrage

Postby amh » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:16 am

Try to always tank Anub away from the spawn-points. Ideally where he starts or by the entrance, just to make it easier. All ranged / healers can just stack up in a single spot. There should enough time between waves to get yourself into a spot where you can see clearly.

I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to T9: Argent Coliseum / Koralon