Remove Advertisements

Heroic Mechanar

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Heroic Mechanar

Postby ulushnar » Tue May 29, 2007 6:18 am

Hi there, I'm currently looking to take my first steps into Heroics with Ulu this week. Specifically I'm interested in Heroic Mechanar, since there's a high badge-to-trash ratio and I'm aiming to get the Righteous Helm and the nice tanking sword from the last boss.

This is my current health/avoidance gear:

http://armory.wow-europe.com/?#characte ... n=Ulushnar

Will this be sufficent to MT? How hard does the trash hit on average? Any tricks I should be aware of?
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Lore » Tue May 29, 2007 7:30 am

IIRC the really hard trash got nerfed (the Arcane Patrollers) in 2.1, so as far as trash goes the instance is pretty easy. The two minibosses aren't too tough, and the first boss is a LOT of fun on Heroic - I can't resist going there just because of that fight.

The second boss is kind of a pain but I haven't tried her in a while, she might have gotten nerfed too. End boss is the same as ever IIRC.

Your gear is about the level where I'd start looking at heroics, yeah. It might be a little rough but you should be fine.

Also, you're at friendly with the Violet Eye and have Boots of Elusion, so I hate you now ><
Lore
Global Mod

Postby ulushnar » Tue May 29, 2007 7:38 am

I'll be honored on Friday! :)

I was so gutted, I was outrolled on the tanking belt and helm by the Warrior in our group. I'm not used to having to share my tanking lewt. :)

I've done heroic Mech once with my Hunter, but it was a nightmare and we gave up after wiping repeatedly on bosses two and three. I'm looking forward to going back now, since the normal five-mans are pretty much dull now. I just resort to having no CC and tanking every mob in every pack when helping mates now.

Oh, and good luck on getting your gear back!
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Lore » Tue May 29, 2007 7:41 am

Yeah I've almost always just skipped the second boss, it just wasn't worth it for 1 badge of justice and a couple blues we'd all seen 400 times already. Might be worth trying her again with the new epics and so forth.

Well, once I get my gear back.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Kyroro » Tue May 29, 2007 8:03 am

I did her right after the patch hit. She was nerfed pretty hard as well. There are still 3 elementals as per heroic setting, but we just used the same strategy as normal and everything was fine. No need to kite down the corridor or whatever (and that doesn't work now either).

Ended up being a skin-of-the-teeth kill but everyone was suffering from broken mods and unfamiliar UIs, lol.

The last boss with a pally tank is easy mode. Just spam consecrate right before the adds come out (watch for his emote) and they'll be on you all fight. No need to do tricks like AOE fear, focus DPS etc. One they're on you DPS can either choose to pick them off or just burn down the boss. Makes things very very simple.

1st boss is still fun as hell. I miss Naxx :(
Kyroro

Postby cryst » Tue May 29, 2007 9:07 am

Heroic Mech is very doable for you.

On average, with 13k armor, casters hit for about 700 unblocked, while melee hit for about 1500 or so. Solar Strikes from the Centurions still pack a punch at 5k per, but that's nothing your healers can't fix. Patrollers hit for 2-3k, while Destroyers hit for 3.7k-4k without a Charged Fist. All 3 bosses hit for 1k or less, give or take.

Patrollers are easy, but you may find that Destroyers aren't mobs you can breeze right through. Still, they aren't too tough if your healer just overheals you throughout the fight, since an untimely knockdown coupled with a Charged Fist can spike you down pretty fast. Having one of your DPS interrupt (or even stunning them yourself) helps a great deal.

Mini bosses are easy and nothing to worry about. The most trouble you'd have is against the one that throws sawblades, but that's nothing you can control. Our mage was unlucky enough to get a sawblade thrown at him the whole fight, heh.

Boss 1, like everyone has stated, is incredibly fun.

Boss 2 is doable, but we still leave her till last just so we can kite the adds. You can no longer kite her down the bridge as she will reset once she hits the glass portion of the bridge. You can choose to fight her "as intended" (which overall is just a messy fight), or, if you have a party member who can kite (we used a hunter), you can use the following method:

Have everyone but the kiter stand on the glass portion of the bridge. The kiter is in Nethermancer's room, and pulls. This causes all the elementals to target the kiter only. Kiter runs towards you, you run in and grab Nethermancer BEFORE she hits the glass flooring and pull her back into the room. Kiter takes adds all the way to Panth's room and back while you tank/spank Nethermancer.

Boss 3 shouldn't be a problem as well. I usually bring a lock and priest so I have the added convenience of fear bombing, but otherwise, I'd do what Kyroro suggested and just grab the adds and burst down Panth's hp to 20%. Easy sailing from there.
cryst
Maintankadonor

Postby ulushnar » Wed May 30, 2007 2:34 am

Cheers for the hints, I look forward to trying them out in the near future.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Obveeus » Wed May 30, 2007 7:34 am

Tried Cryst's Suggestions last night. Had been killing the second boss in her room since the patch, and every kill was very ugly.

Had a mage kite the adds to Calculator's room and the fight was trivial!
Obveeus

Postby Dragonzbane » Wed May 30, 2007 8:03 am

Lore wrote:Also, you're at friendly with the Violet Eye and have Boots of Elusion, so I hate you now ><

Yup, I hate him too.
Matter of fact, I just hate KZ in general now.
I'm well past Exalted and have a better healing set than tanking set.

The last 3 weeks tanking plate that I need has dropped for whatever group I'm not in.

We now have a non-raiding warrior with better gear than everyone but our MT and he just started doing KZ with us.

Tier 4 Warrior Helm (2 weeks ago)
Wrynn's Greaves (2 weeks ago)
Battlescar Boots (2 weeks ago)
King's Defender (last week)
Crimson Girdle (last night)
Boots of Elusion (last night)

Not a bad 3 weeks.
I'm really starting to hate that guy.
Dragonzbane

Postby ulushnar » Wed May 30, 2007 8:47 am

Don't hate the playa, hate the game. Knowing my luck, I'll probably be waiting months for my next bit of Kara lewt. :)
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby ulushnar » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:04 am

Well last night I took my first pop at Heroic Mechanar. The group was me, a Holy Paladin, a Retribution Paladin, a Mage and a Warlock, all of whom were fairly experienced with the run.

Things went pretty smoothly for the most part. The two mini-bosses and the first boss proper went down easily, even the first Destroyer wasn't much of an issue. We had problems with the Destroyers in the second boss room, but we kept things stable. A few deaths, but no real wipes.

As normal, we decided to clear to Pathaleon first, but the waves were a problem. The first wave of Humanoids went down easily, but we struggled with the Destroyer that followed. He wiped us twice before we got him down and I ended up dying just before he did, which left the others to kite and kill the following wave of Belfs.

We then took on the second wave and it was a similar story. A wipe on the Destroyer and then a wipe on the following wave. We finally got to Pathaleon though and he went down easily enough, I even ended up AoE tanking the adds along with him. Some of the group said it was the smoothest kill they'd seen in heroic.

After that, we tried the second boss. It took a few attempts for me to get the timing of grabbing the boss before she hit the glass, but we took her down without a problem. That is, unless you count the kiting mage not getting a Badge of Justice from her because he was out of range when we killed her.

So my first heroic ended with me being about 12G poorer in repairs but with five badges to my name.

I'm trying to think of a decent strategy for the Destroyers though. Without Spell Reflect, we're kinda screwed when it comes to their charged fist. I noticed that SoJ's stun proc worked on it, but I didn't want to sacrifice aggro generation by using it. Might ask the Retridin to use it if I go with that group again.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Vallion » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:57 am

I usually run Mech with a fury warrior who has gotten really good about pummeling him. We have one get-out-of-jail free card with HoJ. Charged Fist seems to last a few seconds longer than HoJ's stun, and it's far from a perfect solution, but if you have an interrupter who can get the timing down, you should be fine.

The other, far easier solution, is to just Wings pull it and go nuts then have your healer spam greater heal, healing touch, or holy light. Pretty mana intensive, but death is never a problem so long as your dps can outpace your healer's mana bar.

Also, on the glass corridor section, if you feel you're too taxed for the next wave, you can run to the elevator, hop down, and keep running towards the entrance. Everyone needs to be down the elevator and out of combat or else you can get some weird evade bugs. When you return to the corridor, the wave you were on will be standing there.

Assuming you can get the timing down on the Destroyers, the above trick isn't so necessary, though I usually employ it after the very last wave and before Panthaleon. It'll probably get changed though, really trivializes that last section.
Vallion

Postby Arcand » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:45 am

Vallion wrote:Also, on the glass corridor section, if you feel you're too taxed for the next wave, you can run to the elevator, hop down, and keep running towards the entrance.

Last couple times I've been in there, this hasn't been possible; an energy gate closed off the top of the elevator. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted and at least the corpse run's short.

Edit: Now that I think about it, maybe this is only happening when bosses are aggroed.
Last edited by Arcand on Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arcand

Postby cryst » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:00 am

Arcand wrote:
Vallion wrote:Also, on the glass corridor section, if you feel you're too taxed for the next wave, you can run to the elevator, hop down, and keep running towards the entrance.

Last couple times I've been in there, this hasn't been possible; an energy gate closed off the top of the elevator. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted and at least the corpse run's short.

From experience, the elevator only closes if you engaged either of the two bosses. Otherwise, you have a good amount of time to run down the elevator. Usually, midway up the stairs is enough to drop combat.

I've never actually attempted to take all three consecutive waves on Heroic as intended; our lack of tools and skills to deal with Destroyers as opposed to Warriors usually leaves the healer with a quarter or third of his mana bar left. I'm sure it's doable if everyone is coordinated with CCing when the waves spawn, thereby minimizing the time mobs are running around, but I always PuG heroics, and thus I don't come to expect this kind of coordination.
cryst
Maintankadonor

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics