passive block cap set for Anub'arak

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

passive block cap set for Anub'arak

Postby polonadis » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:55 pm

I'm building a passive block cap set, and I would like to hear your opinions/suggestions/advice on how it can be improved (the link i'm going to provide illustrates the actual set I currently use).

Please suggest any possible gem, enchant or item changes (I have more block stuff in my bank) if you think it would improve the set.

If i'm not logged out in block gear (armory link in my sig), here's a chardev link:

http://www.chardev.org/?template=267531
polonadis

Re: passive block cap set for Anub'arak

Postby Nadir » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:18 pm

I'd suggest switching to 12 defense to wrist / 16 AGI to feet, especially if you're just below unhittable. STA feels more like a liability than a benefit on that encounter. My warrior co-tank has like 1k more HP than I do in unhittable sets, yet he's healing Anub for 25% more. I guess that might also be due to him full blocking with critical block, thus remaining at high HP for a greater amount of time.

Where would you be vs. 101.6% if you switched to the T9 helm or the Beast 25 / Anub 10 heroic shield?

I'm on interrupt duty in that encounter so I've settled on switching my second trinket to Blood of the Old God and going ~1% below unhittable. I got tired of Holy Wrath missing -_-.
Nadir

Postby polonadis » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:05 am

Thanks for your advice. I've updated my set with new enchants.

As to 101.6, if chardev is right (and if my calculations are correct) i'm only at 100,65 with raid buffs and def elixir, so i think switching gear is not a good idea (using the t9 helm means losing about 4,5% + i have to regem it, leaving me with an only half-decent helm for maintanking or forcing me to break 4pcs bonus).

As to the shield slot, I haven't picked up the one from bests on hero25 yet, and I only have the normal version from 10 man (the hero one went to my co-tank, but I got the tribute cloak so I don't hold a grudge ^^)

Can you also tell me more about the fight itself? what should i pay most attention to and are there any tricks or tips that could help? :)
polonadis

Postby Rhiannon » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:49 pm

Would the old tbc helm chant (16 def, 17 dodge) be superior to the argent crusade glyph in the context of this fight? More avoidance, would get you a little closer to 101.6%, and also allow you to heal Anub'Arak a little less. Also, the dodge + BV from a guru's elixir rather than an expertise elixir might be worth considering.
Rhiannon

Postby steadypal » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:35 pm

you can change your food buff to 40 agi over the 40 str..

you can change your 20def to shield to 15 BR to shield

you can try to change out to the BC helm enchant.

consider the BC br libram if needed but then again the 450 bv on new libram is pretty nice..

40agi food and 15br to shield though should get you atleat 1.5% more into unhittable though. probably more.
steadypal

Postby lythac » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:24 am

Take the 2 def gems in your shield and swap them with the dodge/def in chest and dodge/sta in weapon.

-15 sta
+6 dodge
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Rhiannon » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:07 am

Lythac wrote:Take the 2 def gems in your shield and swap them with the dodge/def in chest and dodge/sta in weapon.

-15 sta
+6 dodge

Or just change the dodge/stam in weapon to dodge/def -15 sta, +10 def.
Rhiannon

Postby polonadis » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:36 am

Rhiannon wrote:
Lythac wrote:Take the 2 def gems in your shield and swap them with the dodge/def in chest and dodge/sta in weapon.

-15 sta
+6 dodge

Or just change the dodge/stam in weapon to dodge/def -15 sta, +10 def.

The tbc head enchant is quite compelling, as to the shield gem swap - it is quite a good idea, the other swap would not activate the meta, though :)

Chardev seems to be slightly off when it comes to 101,6%, as rawr puts me over 100% block+avoid for a lvl82 mob with a slight margin (and anub adds are yet to hit me without a block, i guess rawr is right then).

So now what I mostly focus on is maximizing BV while maintainig this 100% cap for 82 mob. Any ideas? (except the one with swapping in the t9 helm)
polonadis

Postby Rhiannon » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:28 am

Oops, not used to having to find blues to activate meta requirements, slipped my mind ._.
Rhiannon

Postby Marrus » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:39 pm

Take a look here for gear ideas.

Also, Rawr is a great tool to use while building the set. You can add the raid buffs you expect to have, and you can quickly see the overall results of gear changes (including buffed hp, block value, and the all imporant avoidance+blockrating value). Just don't forget to make sure Holy Shield is turned off in the options.
Marrus

Postby Wrathy » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:26 pm

Yeah i am stuck about 1% off in the gear set I designed, but getting much closer. I just cant seem to fit anything more into it. I may swap the necklace of unerring mettle for the nexus champion warbeads, to squeak out a bit more defense, but I'm still up in the air on that.

My gear set is Comprised of the following pieces of gear – T8 Helm and Shoulders, Necklace of Unerring Mettle, Shadow of the Ghoul, Unbreakable Chestguard, Bindings of the Hapless Prey, Handguards of the Enclave, Dragonslayer’s Brace, Wyrmguard Legplates, Inexorable Sabatons, Clutch of fortification, Signet of the Earthshaker, the ony trinket and the repelling charge. Everything is gemmed with defense, except two gems to satisfy the meta. Everything is enchanted with Defense or Agility (where no defense enchant is available).

More here if you are interested...
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby Awyndel » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:09 am

Ok this might be a silly question but I think I missed the discussion on this boss fight.

Why passive?
Awyndel

Postby Levantine » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:16 pm

Anub's adds hit really really fast. Fast enough that Holy Shield uptime is going to be pretty low, and you really wanna make the most of how horribly overpowered Blocking is against them when compared to the non shield wearing tanks.
Levantine

Postby Nadir » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:41 pm

An additional side effect of a high avoidance block set is that you have a low max HP and consequently will heal Anub'arak for significantly less than a standard progression gear set.
Nadir

Postby Jadissa » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:31 am

This is the set that I used last night.

I passed on some key upgrades a long time ago, like Handguards of the Enclave and Dragonslayer's Brace, which I think definitely made this more challenging, but with 10 man raid buffs and Defense/Agility elixirs, the 102.4 macro clocked me at about 104% without Holy Shield up.

We haven't managed to kill him yet, though - wipe at 20k health last night made every single one of us consider committing ritual suicide. Maybe this is more a boss fight mechanic question, but it seems like I go from taking little damage during the first aboveground phase (in which I'm tanking 2 and then 4 adds, and full blocking), and then suddenly once Anub'arak is sub 30%, I can literally die in the span of about 2 seconds with cooldowns popped.

Anyway, that's sort of a side question - I mostly just wanted to get feedback if anyone could see any obvious pieces that I should be slotting in and out for this set. I ran it through Rawr and chardev, and I used Wowhead/Rawr/Guildox to try and pick the most beneficial pieces.

I wish I could afford to pick up more hit. I seemed to have taunt resists every other taunt last night. I think I'll probably end up having to slot in the taunt Glyph just to make this work, though, seeing as I think Divine Plea really doesn't end up saving me much here - I'm generally either alive and taking close to 0 damage, or dead.

Thoughts? Sorry for wandering around a bit.
Jadissa

Next

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice