Onyxia 2.0 (patch 3.22)

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: Onyxia 2.0 (patch 3.22)

Postby Dakiros » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:45 am

Meh that blows my theory then.
Dakiros

Postby Gimorth » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:25 am

Good theory, though. Thought it was an offset to never being able to fit into the Org AH while mounted.
Gimorth

Postby yappo » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:05 pm

25-man pugged down.

Three tanks was a good idea. We also went with 7 healers, which probably is overkill, but pugging is pugging.

Two wipes.
P1, dps is lobbed into eggs. Runs straight for healers...
P2, we're overrun as I had all ranged stay on Onyx and only melee help with adds. Bear MT taking a coffee-break during the initial pull killed two healers, which was kind of bad :D

Move our two hunters to add-duty.

It was pretty hard -- not falling asleep. With three tanks and probably all healers alive, and only five or six dead dps, P3 is a joke. As long as people stay away from whelp entrances nothing much happens, and even when someone didn't, we had tanks free to round up the incoming whelps.

P2 was a lot friendlier with two pally tanks covering each whelp entrance. Druid MT picked up the elites.
Worst dps at 2600 dps, all else, including pally tanks above 3k, with the top five above 6k. That probably helped as well.

I also watched over the shoulder of a friend when they failed Ony 10. Clothie dps hell-bent on AoE during P2 had whelps just about everywhere where tanks weren't. Seemed that the two DK tanks had problems with AoE threat as well.
yappo

Postby Nidaknat » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:02 am

The way my pug group dealed with the whelps was put the two tanks in the middle on top of each other and then just have rogues tricks each one and go to town. the whelps come right over and are in the middle for AOE. I would step out and grab the big add and hold him just a little away from the group so no accidental deaths happend from the blast nova.
Nida
Nidaknat

Postby Jedah » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:52 am

Now that this has been out for a whole week, can anybody clarify the deal with Melee hitting Onyxia in P2? I have been avoiding this fight in my 10 man outfit because we run melee heavy, and if they can't hit her then we'll never kill her.

thanks in advance.
Jedah

Postby abinning » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:57 am

Jedah wrote:Now that this has been out for a whole week, can anybody clarify the deal with Melee hitting Onyxia in P2? I have been avoiding this fight in my 10 man outfit because we run melee heavy, and if they can't hit her then we'll never kill her.

thanks in advance.

Well although i had some in 25 say they can hit her, all of the m in my 10man run said they could not.

Don't put it off though. We ran 10man with a bunch of melee and just my wife and I as ranged (ele sham & hunter) we did fine. I focused ony 100% she helped on guardians, and we left whelps to melee. Melee also helped on guardians, they die so fast.
abinning

Postby Viycktor » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:51 pm

abinning wrote:
Jedah wrote:Now that this has been out for a whole week, can anybody clarify the deal with Melee hitting Onyxia in P2? I have been avoiding this fight in my 10 man outfit because we run melee heavy, and if they can't hit her then we'll never kill her.

thanks in advance.

Well although i had some in 25 say they can hit her, all of the m in my 10man run said they could not.

Don't put it off though. We ran 10man with a bunch of melee and just my wife and I as ranged (ele sham & hunter) we did fine. I focused ony 100% she helped on guardians, and we left whelps to melee. Melee also helped on guardians, they die so fast.

Thus is true with a competent group.

My guild did a 'hey let's do Ony' on patch day and in a 10-man we had like 4 paladins (me tanking, a holy, and 2 ret), all melee, only one mage. It took 2-3 wipes before I finally convinced the mage that he was 'all ony, all the time' in P2. We also put our highest dps ret paladin on Ony, and he seemed to do damage to her somehow, so I'm not sure about the melee thing (I rean over a few times to try and hit her and was failing to find a spot, and I'm a Draenie, but I didn't spend too much time before going back to chasing down a whelp or enforcer).

The P3 transition is definitely the tricky technical part that can cause good players to die. She immediately landed and feared, and I had taunted and pointed her 'north' where apparently our highest melee dps was standing. So he got breath/cleave nuked.

It's funny how many subtle things I remember from the old Ony that are automatic (like never standing to the north, and never standing near the caves).
Viycktor

Postby Cheroz » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:31 am

Not sure if this is different than old Ony, but on our 10 Man kill, we had two rogues and the rest ranged dps. I tanked the big adds in Phase two. One thing to note, the rogues interupted the aoe fire blast everytime. Not one went off. I believe they were kicking, since I think FoV does not interupt anymore in the new patch. I never tried my stun to see if it worked as well, but food for thought for any mellee with interupts to give them a try. We just stacked in the middle for phase two....aoe'ed the whelps...when a big add came I tanked him away from the group and the rogues joined me....we easily downed him quickly. Once the big whelp group was down, the ranged continued on Ony. Think we had three big adds, two or three whelp groups. The only time ranged was not on Ony was when a large number of whelps were out.
Cheroz

Postby tyraelsmight » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:26 pm

Just a suggestion to add all the possible achievements for this boss into the original post, would be nice to see them on the same page, not a criticism though.
tyraelsmight

Postby Cheroz » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:53 am

Nevermind,
I went back in there this week and a different rogue couldn't kick the novas. I will get with the other rogues and ask what they did or if it was a glitch in week one. I also could not interupt it with the hammer either.
Cheroz

Postby abinning » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:17 am

I added the achievement links, and a loot able link.
abinning

Postby fudomyou » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:54 pm

Cheroz wrote:Nevermind,
I went back in there this week and a different rogue couldn't kick the novas. I will get with the other rogues and ask what they did or if it was a glitch in week one. I also could not interupt it with the hammer either.

The icon for the Blast Nova cast includes a shield, which means it's protected from kicking. The mobs are also immune to stun. What often happens is that with good enough DPS, the mob just plain dies before he's done with the cast. I've had that happen more often than having an add get Blast Nova off, actually.
fudomyou
Maintankadonor

Postby Discus » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:11 am

I'd love to be one more poster reporting on just how easy Onyxia ten is, but as usual I'm not. We tried (10 man) last night and, just as when we first tried, we couldn't get past phase 2, best we did was first try down to 46% after that things just got worse.

The problems for us were blast nova of the large adds - since none of our mellee could hit onyxia we had them on the adds which of course nuked them, after reading this it looks like we need all the ranged dps to come off onyxia and onto the adds as soon as they spawn and I guess the mellee just sit on their hands during phase 2 as there's little they can do except help with whelps... in fact why bring mellee dps at all as they are just an extra risk of getting tail swiped into caves?

Second problem was Deep Breath - kept killin' random players, by the time we saw the raid warning it was too late and none of us mastered keeping an eye on onyxia in the air whilst hitting adds.
Discus

Postby Belloc » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:36 am

Discus wrote:I'd love to be one more poster reporting on just how easy Onyxia ten is, but as usual I'm not. We tried (10 man) last night and, just as when we first tried, we couldn't get past phase 2, best we did was first try down to 46% after that things just got worse.

The problems for us were blast nova of the large adds - since none of our mellee could hit onyxia we had them on the adds which of course nuked them, after reading this it looks like we need all the ranged dps to come off onyxia and onto the adds as soon as they spawn and I guess the mellee just sit on their hands during phase 2 as there's little they can do except help with whelps... in fact why bring mellee dps at all as they are just an extra risk of getting tail swiped into caves?

Second problem was Deep Breath - kept killin' random players, by the time we saw the raid warning it was too late and none of us mastered keeping an eye on onyxia in the air whilst hitting adds.

Blast nova has a long cast time. If your melee can't run out during that amount of time, you need to stop bringing them to raids.

As for the other AOE damage he uses (when he enchants his weapon), simply disarm him.

Deep Breath also has a long cast time. The raid warning pops up, turn your camera to look at Onyxia, and move to the side. I don't mean to be rude, but it is pathetic for people to be dying to that.

Do your melee not have enemy cast bars turned on? Getting hit by the blast nova is just absurdly unacceptable. That's worse than rogues who don't use feint when they know they're about to get hit by a huge AOE. Just terrible play. Force them to improve, please.

It sounds like your melee and random raiders simply do not react to anything in the fight... they just stand there and hit their buttons. You should not tolerate this. Either get them to improve or stop bringing them to raids. Pugs play better than that.
Belloc

Postby TonicTank » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:59 pm

Belloc wrote:
Discus wrote:That's worse than rogues who don't use feint when they know they're about to get hit by a huge AOE. Just terrible play. Force them to improve, please.

My last Onyxia attempt:

Me: "Rogues please use feint on the guardians when they are half-way through their AOE cast, you don't need to move or stop DPSing just hit feint."
Rogue: "Real Rogues don't use feint.."
Me " Fine, use Cloak of Shadows at the last second and pray you don't hit the floor because we aren't brezzing you and if you die to the AOE when you know to feint you're getting booted."

P2 begins:
Me: "Rogues feint."
Rogue mentioned above dies because he didn't hit feint or CoS at all. We booted him and brought in an Arms Warrior. What do you know...he moved and disarmed. Too bad the rogue was too high on his EPEEN to worry about the fight mechanics.

Stupid noobs are stupid.
TonicTank

PreviousNext

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon