[DK] The DK Tanking thread

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: [DK] The DK Tanking thread

Postby Levantine » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:03 am

Fix your Hodir rep.

If you can get into a Nax25 get yourself a Broken Promise, failing that, even a 1.6 speed weapon will be a noticeable threat upgrade. Worst case scenario is getting yourself a Battlestar.

Ghetto trinkets. Get a Black Heart; the armor proc will be better for you in most fights, and there's always the option of swapping to dual ghettos for supermagicPOW fights.

I'd probably get the sigil next. The proc is love~ and will help muchly with threat gen (from more Runestrike procs)
Levantine

Postby Fenris » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:21 am

Sadly i have quite a bad luck with drops,so never seen a black heart(i was running around with Goosammer + Sonic booster before the brewfest :roll: )

Guess i'll get the sigil then,and wait a bit more to see if i can sneak into any raid for other upgrades
ImageImage
ImageImage
Fenris

Postby Fenris » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:36 am

1 month later...

Still no luck with weapon drops (nor with trinkets),i managed to collect something anyway

So,now i have,sitting in my bag

-new bracers (dreadscale bracers 232)
-new chest (chestplate of the warden)
-new gloves (t9.0)
-95 emblem of triumph

So i was thinking how to swap thing around and i ended up with this plan http://www.chardev.org/?profile=244204
Still,i'm not sure this is the best upgrade path :?
ImageImage
ImageImage
Fenris

Postby Ballador » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:13 pm

BACK TO THE TOP!!!... j/k

What I'm looking for is a Heroic only tank spec. I'm looking to play my DK as DPS but in order to do that I need gear and to get gear I need badges. This wont be my main so regularly raiding for gear drops is not something I have time for. I know what you’re thinking. Why don't I just run heroics as DPS? And the short answer to that is I'm just 1 Plate DPS in an ocean of plate DPS. So I'm hoping, being able to tank will make me more appealing.

This post does looking promising but I’m at work so I can’t check out the wowhead link till I get home.
Levantine wrote:You're overcomplicating your AoE rotation somewhat. Frost has it the easiest in this regard, in that our AoE rotation is probably the simplest of the three specs.

HB -> DnD -> BB (This assumes the Glyph of Howling Blast)

I would personally recommend THIS as a balanced spec between AoE and Single Target. Bladed Armor is your best threat investment beside Annihilation and Frost Strike at low gear levels, PLEASE don't get rid of it. Scent of Blood keeps the Rune Strike spam happening which is important when Frost tanks like to spam their runic power dump.

Single taget threat rotations go something like:

PS -> IT -> BS -> BS -> OB -> Dump
OB -> OB -> OB -> Dump

But what it really boils down to is keeping diseases up, keeping your Blood Runes on cooldown, and spamming Obliterate/Frost Strike. Macro Rune Strike to everything, it accounts for a majority of your threat as a tank on a standard fight (Standard as in not a stinky caster that your threat's GOING to suck against).

What I’m looking for from the spec is to make holding agro and taking hits as loleasymode as possible similar to my pally.(I know it wont be as easy but that’s fine :)

Any Talent tree is fine, DW or 2H don’t care have weapons for both but defence cap could be an issue so 2H with Stoneskin will be proffered, gear will prolly be 200ilvl epic if it matters(Weapons are 219)

What Glyphs?
What Rotation/FCFS for trash/boss?

TL;DR: I’m looking for a spec/rotation designed for only heroics raid tanking is not something I want to do on my DK. If what I’m looking for is what lev has already posted great if there is something I could change given my gear and what I’m looking to do please tell me.
Ballador

Postby Levantine » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:11 am

You should have waited until you got home. Now I'm going to troll you for being stupid and impatient when everything you asked for was in the post of mine you quoted.

Levantine

Postby cerwillis » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:03 am

My DK tank was very happily DW frost. Last night, I got the cleaver from h HoL, and I was feeling a bit squishy on Koralon, so I runeforged stoneskin gargoyle and replaced some defense gems with stamina, adding about 3k hp. I assume that I can stay frost, even with a 2h, but I guess I need suggestions for how to modify my spec, at least until the DW def 'forge comes out. I'm using a 10/56/5 spec that I picked up from this thread iirc. Armory link in sig, and ty for any advice.
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:11 am

Well, My DK (link in sig) is the pretty standard cookie cutter 15/51/5 Frost tank build. You can cut points out of Bladed Armor to pick up a lower Cooldown on Death and Decay and/or longer diseases.

I can see a case for the quicker DND, and sometimes I wish I had it, but I don't see the point in longer diseases especially on trash where I Howling Blast as often as I can, and only use 1 disease on trash.
Shoju

Postby Alixander » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:41 am

IMO, you don't need a lower cooldown on DnD. When I was tanking on my DK (frost as well with a 15/51/5 spec too), most of my AOE threat was created via Howling Blast. 8 second cooldown with possibly more if you get a Rime proc, plus it can crit every target if you have a Killing Machine proc up. I'd rather use HB over DnD for threat generation any day of the week.

Personally, I find 21 second diseases to be unwieldy and wasteful. Either way you're refreshing your disease(s) every rotation, only instead you're doing it at the end instead of the start. I mean with a 21 second disease you could technically try to get the disease applying power off with a second to spare, but this runs the risk of down time with lag or a sudden need to do something else (taunt, use a cooldown ability, etc).
Alixander

Postby Ballador » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:35 pm

Levantine wrote:You should have waited until you got home. Now I'm going to troll you for being stupid and impatient when everything you asked for was in the post of mine you quoted.

Well Thanks Lev even though your reply was full of hate and sarcasm your original post did help :)
Ballador

Postby discerpo » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:03 am

so ive been UH for both DPS and tank spec but with my OS tank set stil a tier behind my HP is still a little low. i have never been anything but UH, but im thinking about going blood waht are the main points i need to know. i usually just try to "win the DPS race" while tanking and that seems to always work for threat lol but i havent tanked anything outside of 5 mans since mid ulduar.
Discerpo-Unholy/Blood Troll DK
Horde-Gorefiend

Vindicated wrote: The hell? this is the internet, where I've been over 18 since I was 12.
discerpo

Postby Kelaan » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:38 am

Discerpo wrote:im thinking about going blood waht are the main points i need to know. i usually just try to "win the DPS race" while tanking and that seems to always work for threat lol but i havent tanked anything outside of 5 mans since mid ulduar.

I find as blood that my strikes are nearly always a better use of a GCD than spending runic power. I can't seem to spend my death runes fast enough. I sometimes refresh my diseases early so that I can dump some heart strikes, which is probably not optimal.

Other than that, it seems to play pretty much just like DPS, just with more awareness needed of what needs some extra threat lovin'.

If you mostly tank heroics, I'd suggest learning Frost. Blood's great and effective, but I sometimes miss howling blast's crazy AOE snap threat. I tank and DPS in blood specs because I like that my musle memory requirements are mostly the same in both. ;)
Kelaan

Postby Splug » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:56 am

Hrm, I wondered why this thread seemed familiar from something like six months ago...

Hey Lev, did you ever end up putting together that guide you were asking for input on? (And as a subsidiary question, did you get that input I sent you for that guide you were working on?) I was curious to see the final product, but never saw it posted.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby discerpo » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:01 pm

Not to necro an old thread or anything... but how does everyone like the changes in 4.3. Increse armor passive 6% dmg reduction ect... I and still a primary dps but tend to offtank/ fill in for an absent tank now and then. Going back to farm some
FL(H) i find it easier to keep out of trouble while tanking. I even ended up as the 2nd tank on the two tank fights first week of DS. I felt i was either better able to adapt or just had an easier time than our Pali tank who wasnt able to make the first week. ANyone else?
Discerpo-Unholy/Blood Troll DK
Horde-Gorefiend

Vindicated wrote: The hell? this is the internet, where I've been over 18 since I was 12.
discerpo

Postby Astronomic » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:41 am

I switched from bear to DK cuz "I'm lovin it"
You can have my gold for free, The mobs of elywnn forest are holding on to it.
Astronomic

Postby Shoju » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:21 am

I'm back from lunch, and as promised, here are my thoughts. Bookmark this, tell all your friends, Shoju is not complaining.

4.3 is a huge leap forward for Death Knight Tanking.
  • Blade Barrier being passive - Yeah, sure, it's a snooze talent now, not very sexy. On the other hand, not needing to take blade barrier into consideration for the purposes of Rune Tetris is a freaking relief
  • Death Strike Always heals, always gives shield. THANK GOD. There was nothign like wondering if I needed to stack more threat stats just so I could survive. I personally am not looking forward to this getting taken away in the new and improved active mitigation model. I like the way it works currently.
  • The Armor addition - 30% becomes 55%. gravy. I love it.
Blade barrier + more armor + Death Strike being reliable finally smashed underfoot the silly notion of trying to be an avoidance tank. There is just no reason to even debate it anymore.

With these three changes, Mastery is just point for point the single best thing out there for a DK tank. I'm sure there comes a point where it (mastery) isn't attractive, but so far, I haven't found that point.

Finally, I feel like the Death Knight in Raid Content, is playing the way it was in 5 man content when I fell in love with it pre-4.1. I don't feel like I'm a liability to tank Heroic Encounters. I tanked Heroic Shannox on Wednesday, and I didn't feel like I was holding my breath waiting to make sure that Jagged Tear + Melee was going to crater me. I felt like i was able to rely on things, and focus on rolling cooldowns, and focus on movement, and the rest of the encounter, and less on make super split second decisions to make sure I didn't fall over in a heap. (The first time I tanked Heroic Shannox, it made me a sad Panda).

I do think that we are a little more hit dependent now that outbreak has a 30sec timer, but that is a fair trade off for the survivability changes we were given.

If people have questions about things, let me know. Like I said in another thread somewhere, I feel like I'm a pretty good DK tank. I know I'mn a better Dk tank than I was a paladin tank.
Shoju

PreviousNext

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes