Remove Advertisements

[25] Anub'arak

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[25] Anub'arak

Postby JRichland » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:48 am

I'm curious about what strats you guys are using to down him.

We had problems beating the enrage timer. We had problems keeping the OTs up. We had problems dealing with the little adds in p2.

Each of our efforts was equally unsettling.

I'm especially curious to know if anyone has successfully prevented AB from burrowing. I've read that it's possible, but we've gone to great lengths to stop his burrowing on 10man and found it to be impossible.

Can someone with some success elaborate exactly the strat they used? Thanks
JRichland

Re: [25] Anub'arak

Postby Joanadark » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:58 am

You can't prevent the boss himself from burrowing short of burning him to 30% before his first burrow. It's an intended mechanic of the fight. The fact that you could prevent him burrowing on the PTR was a bug with the Permafrost and was fixed on live.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby JRichland » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:00 am

Have you downed him? About how many burrowed phases do you go through? Do you bloodlust during p1?

We've actually been considering allowing the first set of burrowers to just burrow, then have the two OTs hold the next two until p2, then burning down all four in p2. Has anyone tried that out?
JRichland

Postby Fridmarr » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:08 am

JRichland wrote:Have you downed him? About how many burrowed phases do you go through? Do you bloodlust during p1?

We've actually been considering allowing the first set of burrowers to just burrow, then have the two OTs hold the next two until p2, then burning down all four in p2. Has anyone tried that out?

From what I remember, if he hits the burrow phase for a 3rd time, then the enrage timer becomes really really tight. Now that was on 25 man, I'm not sure about 10 man. If it's going to allow you to keep him from burrowing that third time, I'd definitely pop heroism. If you can keep him from burrowing the third time, the enrage timer is likely a non issue.

In 25 man what we do is in the above ground phase the first wave of burrowers are tanked right under the boss (which requires a permafrost being there) and they are DPS'd down. Since they are under the boss and right next to each other, there's lots of splash damage. The second two that come out that phase are tanked off the side and ignored by the DPS. When he burrows, the DPS finishes them and we deal with scarabs.

In general you want folks in burrow phase being somewhat grouped up so that the scarabs are all kind of coming to the same place, but also standing on permafrost. So generally you'll have to move around as a group to the frost patches. Whoever is being followed by Anub should kite him away and through the permafrost.

Also, make sure in P3 that your healers are letting the raid's health (except the tank) stay below 50%. If healers are keeping your raid's health too high, that can also make the enrage timer more difficult to beat. Anub is being constantly healed by a percentage of your raid's health, so the lower their health is, the less he gets healed.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby JRichland » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:33 am

Thanks for the tips.

In 10-man we absolutely crushed it, it was a joke. We were server-first on 10, in fact; just over an hour after the server came up.

We've been attempting that same strat pretty much. I think we'll just have to be tighter. Are you two-tanking it or three-tanking it?

I think we'll change over to stacking up for the burrowed phase, that seems to make the most sense to me.

As always great help guys.
JRichland

Postby kanst » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:38 am

Here is exactly how we do it.

3 tanks, 1 tanks Anub the other 2 tank adds. You will get 2 sets of add per non burrow phase. Each tank picks up 1. First set of adds, one tank takes them to an ice patch on anubs ass. Other tank tanks them away from Anub. Ranged burn far away add then finish off add on melee. Second set, same positioning no one dps'es them. When Anub burrows finish off the adds and then dont get hit by spikes.

During Burrow phase make sure no tanks get hit by the little bugs. Our tanks just stand in the corner and sit on their hands. Ranged dps should single target the lil scarabs and burn them all down. Make sure everyone is doing something and not just watching the person kiting.

Here is the world of logs from our last kill. The kill was sloppy as crap:

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/18dt0vX9 ... 173&e=2623

We got him to 30% with 2 burrow phases. This was the day the patch went live so we were kind of laggy so we had a few more deaths then I would like to admit.

As for your specific concerns, make sure your OTs arent near each other, the haste buff will end up messing them up. Make sure your healers keep the raid at a good health level during phase 3. If you look up and the raid is topped off your doing it wrong, the lower they can comfortably hold the raid the better. No you cant keep him from burrowing. And with the little adds, single target from all the ranged will kill them.

They spawn with 20k threat on a random person and will chase that person until someone passes them in threat, after some time being alive they enrage and regenerate to full health.

Hope this was helpful.
kanst

Postby Belloc » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:29 pm

If your tanks and healers are at all sufficient, a single tank can hold both adds. I did this last night and last week with no issue. I also did this on heroic 10-man. I tank the adds inside of anub so that melee splash damage will hit them. Mages and warlocks use their AOEs on the adds/boss. If the adds aren't dying before the next set, then have melee focus them down. Their aoe's will still hit the boss.

No matter how you do it, you want to be hitting everything at the same time. Cleaves and AOEs are key to getting the fight down fast enough.

The little adds in phase two just need to be dpsed as the spawn. They can be kited over frost patches, but it's not necessary. If you take too long to kill them, they heal to full and enrage. Melee should stop attacking a mob if it targets them.
Belloc

Postby Ard » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:06 am

We got our first kill on 25 last night and can confirm above strategies to be correct.

I maintanked, 2 tanks dealt with adds. We would tank the first pair right in the melee zone, just behind Anub'arak, and burn them down (sometimes I would have to move Anub'arak slightly to make sure they could be put on an icepatch). Second pair of adds was just offtanked and all dps were on the boss.
When he burrowed we burneddown the 2 later adds, 1 raidmember who knows where to stand was marked and the whole raid stood on top of them and aoe/burned down the scarabs. (I noticed all of our tanks got at least some of the debuffs from the little adds so that's something we can do better next time)

We had 3 burrow phases so it was very very tight. We used heroism at start of phase 3 and killed him as he enraged (I took 1 or 2 enraged hits)
Ard <Vision of Excellence> - The Venture Co. EU
Blogging at holysh---ock.blogspot.com
Wilfred Fizzlebang, Master Summoner!
Ard

Postby JRichland » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:07 am

Follow up guys:

We downed him last night, two-tanked it and three shot it.

Here are the tips that worked best for us:

1) We had a DK death grip a frost sphere and we destroyed it right under Anub'arak's backside.
2) I tanked the first wave of burrowers and had the range burn them and the melee aoe them.
3) I held the second wave in the same place.
4) We had three p2s and bloodlusted after the third. We stacked up on the frost and had the targetted person kiting anub'arak around a it before hitting a permafrost. This greatly helped in killing the scarabs. Also, me and the other tank stayed out of it completely.

We hit the enrage timer EXACTLY as he died, but he died nonetheless.

Again, thanks for all the help.
JRichland

Postby anerak » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:01 pm

casual raid. 6 hours of raiding per week, yet we've gotten up to wiping on yogg before ToC arrived. anub has become our new nemesis.

what is the suggested raid dps for anub 25 normal? i'm *pretty* sure we're low. like 60% at 4 min left on timer :(

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/GpPr ... amageDone/ our latest log for wiping.

by end of night we had warrior on anub, me (pally) pulling first wave, right next to anub for splash dmg but not actual ae. 2nd wave by other pally, killed during phase 2. 2 people on orbs, though i just finished reading that's too many, too much permafrost = slowed down kill.

in general we're just getting smoked by the scarabs. i dont know how many times we can explain the appropriate method to kiting. we're just training them out of spikes to the OTs. last week we got anub *to* 30%, but too many were dead by then. tonight, our best was 24 alive by 2nd phase 2, then decimated by scarabs along with crappy spike spawns.

it feels like we're missing some little trick. but if our raid dps is too low, i'd rather we focus on other raids instead of a night of wiping. i appreciate any constructive criticism/feedback.

I lurk.
anerak

Return to T9: Argent Coliseum / Koralon