Onyxia 2.0 (patch 3.22)

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: Onyxia 2.0 (patch 3.22)

Postby isiz » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:18 am

djlar wrote:
Jedah wrote:
djlar wrote:As melee participant I saw that the area to stand in is very narrow to avoid frontal cleaves/cones and back tailwhips, it's a bit more narrow than Sephiroth..

Sartharion? :lol:

I meant Sapphiron... sorry LOL..

Similarities between the two are way close, change ice to fire and add some Heigan cracks.. add 40 adds.. (what was first? first Naxx or Ony?)

Ony was first, Naxx was out only a little while before BC.
ImageImage
Tuesday maintenance is merely a setback!
isiz

Postby Io.Draco » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:13 am

Heh, back in the day of pre-BC when WoW had just come out Onyxia was way harder then Sapphiron was in Naxx.
Io.Draco

Postby yappo » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:24 pm

Pugging it (10-man) we found it easier to have ranged glued to Onyx for all of P2. Tanks round up whelps and elite adds, with healers more or less clinging to the back of a tank during the initial whelp charge.

Getting feared into the eggs when she landed did not help, but after I (and thankfully almost all of the "bonus" whelps) were down co-tank, healer and lock three-manned from 900k to down.

All in all:
P1, nothing happens, unless a dps gets thrown into the eggs (we managed to fail that way)
P2, this is the raid. Healers hugging a tank during the first wave is good for healer health. Ranged dps on adds was good in theory, but an unlucky breath had them aggroing while tanks and melee ran away from fire.
P3, Onyx landing was a mess during our third try (wipe) and fourth try (threeman it down), but apparently P3 in itself is a non-issue. People moving away from "whelp-entrances" at 42:ish% will probably make this easier.
Considering the added time we used by waiting for three people to finish it off, enrage timers doesn't seem to be an issue.

Four tries for a /2 pug the same day it was released, on a backwater, low-pop realm. Seems a little bit too easy. Especially as we kept dps we'd normally have kicked after a first wipe on Emalon, or Koralon for that matter.
yappo

Postby Jtree » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:12 pm

No one has mentioned Ony's other ability that gave my guild hell last night: Random disconnects of two to eight raid members, particularly during phase two. :p
Jtree

Postby TonicTank » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:54 pm

Jtree wrote:No one has mentioned Ony's other ability that gave my guild hell last night: Random disconnects of two to eight raid members, particularly during phase two. :p

My server crashed actually. We got to P2, started AOEing the adds and had a couple single adds spawn. I was on my enhance shaman so I went for the to try and burnt them fast. I died fairly quickly to the AOE. Ankhed then the server crashed. WTB new Ankh cooldown..
TonicTank

Postby abinning » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:36 am

Dakiros wrote:
abinning wrote:She can be melee'd underneath her hitbox from the ground.

I found this to not be true, I was standing directly under her and could only hit her with judgments. Also when I read WoWWiki yesterday for the changes to her from 60 I saw that she is not melee-able. Anyone else able to hit her from the ground?

Some of my melee were able to reach her some were not. I think I remember one that could not being a ret.

We didn't get to her Tuesday since the server was totally borked.
So... last night we hit her 25 man with a few pugs to fill in the gaps.
Druid MT, war and pally on adds, 3 shaman, 2 priest,2 druid heals. (probably overkill on healers)
Phase 1 was cake, Phase 2 & 3 required some good healing.

As long as the OTs taunted the Guardians (they didn't need to hold them, just get attention for a sec) and the ranged got on them quick , they were not a problem. So as long as the healers (me) kept the tanks alive we were golden.
abinning

Postby abinning » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:48 am

Io.Draco wrote:So how do you manage the fear? :P

It wasn't much of a problem. But then we had a shaman in every group dropping tremor totem (only useful on 50% of the fears) and a priest with fear ward on the MT about half the time. It did make a few people get booted by her tail, and more raid damage, but nothing too bad.
abinning

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:59 am

We went into Ony25 with three tanks. 2 Paladins and a DK. P1 had one paladin on Ony, one Paladin dps and watching for morons being punted into whelp caves, and the DK dpsing. When p2 hits, both paladins took a whelp cave and the DK parked himself at the entrance to pick up Lair Guards. If there were no whelps coming out of your cave, you helped bring down the guards. Once p3 hits, the Ony tank picks her up and the whelpadin cleans up the remaining whelps. The DK went back to dpsing. I found that the ranged dps were by far the most important part of the encounter. If they're dying to Deep Breaths, or not focusing on killing Ony, Phase 2 will last too long and you'll be overwhelmed.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Fridmarr » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:05 am

Io.Draco wrote:Heh, back in the day of pre-BC when WoW had just come out Onyxia was way harder then Sapphiron was in Naxx.
The original Onyxia was was not harder than the original Sapphiron, and Sapphiron wasn't even in the game until a year and a half after Onyxia.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby twinkfist » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:09 am

i just started raiding again..sort of.

in 10 man ony when the 20 and 20 whelps come from the sides....should one tank be picking them both up or should a tank be on each side and then drag the whelps to the middle for aoe?

never ran ony before so just trying to get some advice.

thank you in advance.
twinkfist

Postby Belloc » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:19 am

twinkfist wrote:i just started raiding again..sort of.

in 10 man ony when the 20 and 20 whelps come from the sides....should one tank be picking them both up or should a tank be on each side and then drag the whelps to the middle for aoe?

never ran ony before so just trying to get some advice.

thank you in advance.

If you bring two tanks, have each one pick a side.

If you bring one tank, have your healers stacked in the middle, on top of you, and gogo wings + consecrate.
Belloc

Postby twinkfist » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:53 am

thank you very much for the quick response.
twinkfist

Postby Dakiros » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:26 pm

abinning wrote:
Dakiros wrote:
abinning wrote:She can be melee'd underneath her hitbox from the ground.

I found this to not be true, I was standing directly under her and could only hit her with judgments. Also when I read WoWWiki yesterday for the changes to her from 60 I saw that she is not melee-able. Anyone else able to hit her from the ground?

Some of my melee were able to reach her some were not. I think I remember one that could not being a ret.

We didn't get to her Tuesday since the server was totally borked.
So... last night we hit her 25 man with a few pugs to fill in the gaps.
Druid MT, war and pally on adds, 3 shaman, 2 priest,2 druid heals. (probably overkill on healers)
Phase 1 was cake, Phase 2 & 3 required some good healing.

As long as the OTs taunted the Guardians (they didn't need to hold them, just get attention for a sec) and the ranged got on them quick , they were not a problem. So as long as the healers (me) kept the tanks alive we were golden.

Assuming you are horde based on your sig pictures, do you recall if the melee people that could reach her while she was in the air were taurens or not?
Dakiros

Postby Maddok » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:45 pm

Last both of the rogues I went to Ony10 with couldn't find the right spot to hit her during the air phase, both were Night Elves.
Maddok

Postby abinning » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:49 am

@Dakiros
No tauren at all actually. the only tauren we had were shaman (ele&resto) & druid.
One I specifically remember reaching was an Orc DK.
I'll keep my eyes open for it some more.
abinning

PreviousNext

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon