Remove Advertisements

[Ret-PvE] Ret seals

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Ret-PvE] Ret seals

Postby crazyharry » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:15 am

Tagged your title. -Baelor

So I have just ventured into the world of Ret and I was wondering if anyone could give me a quick heads up on what seals to use for:

PVE trash
PVE boss
PVP
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a hoof stamping on a cupcake -- forever.
http://kefkafloyd.deviantart.com/art/Pi ... -201465409
crazyharry

Re: Ret seals

Postby Kraziness » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:42 am

Seal of Command = trash/pvp
Seal of Corruption(or alliance version) = boss fights

If you do plan on using Seal of Corruption, for it to be optimal on boss fights, you need to spec Seals of the Pure. If you don't spec into that, then Seal of Command may be better...
Dell can go F themsleves in the A
Kraziness

Postby Levantine » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:55 am

In which case you have bigger problems than which seal to use, like your spec. (Rets spec SotP or get laughed at)
Levantine

Postby Fenris » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:48 am

Kraziness wrote:Seal of Command = trash/pvp

SoR might still be better than SoC for pvp

Sure,the seal hits cant crit,but the judgement damage is still higher,so more burst & less problems with shield/absorption effects removing the judgement damage (and since JotW still does not proc on no-damage judgements,that's a thing to consider)
ImageImage
ImageImage
Fenris

Postby Ard » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:09 am

Hmm, was just over at http://ferarro.blogspot.com/ which gives the (unmotivated) advice to just spec into SoComm. For trash it does sem the obvious good choice over Righteousness, but it would mean building a ret spec with both SotP and SoComm. Guessing it would only cost some utility, quite doable.
Ard <Vision of Excellence> - The Venture Co. EU
Blogging at holysh---ock.blogspot.com
Wilfred Fizzlebang, Master Summoner!
Ard

Postby Fenris » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:33 am

Ard wrote:Hmm, was just over at http://ferarro.blogspot.com/ which gives the (unmotivated) advice to just spec into SoComm. For trash it does sem the obvious good choice over Righteousness, but it would mean building a ret spec with both SotP and SoComm. Guessing it would only cost some utility, quite doable.

This or this one

Sure,have to give up one between Imp-Might or Vindication that way...Still provides solid utility
ImageImage
ImageImage
Fenris

Postby Kraziness » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:04 am

Fenris wrote:
Kraziness wrote:Seal of Command = trash/pvp

SoR might still be better than SoC for pvp

Sure,the seal hits cant crit,but the judgement damage is still higher,so more burst & less problems with shield/absorption effects removing the judgement damage (and since JotW still does not proc on no-damage judgements,that's a thing to consider)

Only reason to use SoC now in pvp, is that in most cases you will be fighting against or around more than one player now, with the cleave effect, this added damage will give the healers more to do. But yeah if it's one on one, then SoR would win out.
Dell can go F themsleves in the A
Kraziness

Postby kanst » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:57 am

Are there 3 or more targets that need burning down? -> Seal of Command
Are you only going to be on the target for <15-20 seconds -> Seal of Righteousness
All other situations -> Seal of Vengeance

And as for specs I am pretty sure I am just going to drop Divine Guardian and dump those points into ret to pick up the toys I want. I am thinking something like this
kanst

Postby Snubsy » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:02 pm

When it comes to seal choice in raids, I'd go for the same as the above. It just makes sense, as SoC makes lots of pretty numbers appear on your screen as soon as you start hitting grouped mobs (but judgements are on par damage-wise with, say, a limp noodle).

Spec wise:
I'm going for http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sVZVGzZVfbtbIuhdIfsu:0oG as my raiding spec (might get aura mastery instead if I keep using DivSac without bubble up ;p) and I'm currently trying PvPing with http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZqGzhrZVf0tbIuGdIfsz:az0, using mostly SoC, as so far the lack of judgement damage to cause pressure seems to be offset by the shiny cleave as long as people stay grouped.

edit: decided to keep using the judgement glyph in my PvP spec for the times when SoR burst outweighs SoC cleave
Snubsy

Postby Torquemada » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:53 am

I've used my ret spec three times in the last week (Yogg +3, Hodir HM, GV), so I CBF to change it around, but if I did I'd probably go with:

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?paladin#999SRnj69VhvU,,10392

I'm becoming a big fan of the utility of Aura Mastery over DG.
A wise and frugal government which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government. – Thomas Jefferson
Torquemada

Postby Joanadark » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:49 am

Are there 3 or more targets that need burning down? -> Seal of Command
Are you only going to be on the target for <15-20 seconds -> Seal of Righteousness
All other situations -> Seal of Vengeance

The cross-over point of SoV being better than SoR is approximately 12 seconds. Less if you are not glyphed for SoR, which you most likely would not be. that also doesnt factor in the 200 less strength you'd have using Sor due to the libram you should be using.

To be honest theres not a whole lot of situations now where using SoR is good. If stuff is dying in 10 seconds or less its either a big raid burn target (think Nether Portals for jeraxxus) where the tiny difference in your damage doesnt matter and it's right on the cross-over point anyway, or an AOE pack in which case you would always use SoC.

Also note that in situations where there are two mobs tanked next to each other that live for an extended period of time (more than 30 seconds) if is sometimes better DPS to simply ramp up SoV on both and refresh both stacks than to run SoC.
Running at least 2-peice t9 a big componant of our damage is Righteous Vengeance bleeds and Judgement is one of the biggest contributors to that. The vastly lower Judgement damage using SoC compared to SoV hurts single target DPS.

Its a question of priorities, and you have to make a judgement call as a DPSer. For example, on something like Anub'arak its better in my case to simply keep using SoV and maintain full boss DPS than to bother switching to AOE mode.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Re: [Ret-PvE] Ret seals

Postby wantpizza » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:08 pm

The pvp arena libram is ok for trash as well. For TOC you want to stay on the boss though.
wantpizza

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes