Onyxia 2.0 (patch 3.22)

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Onyxia 2.0 (patch 3.22)

Postby abinning » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:33 am

4,800,000 (10-man)
24,000,000 (25-man)

Following are 10-man damage numbers
Phase One
Onyxia melees for about 12-15,000 on plate. Onyxia is tauntable.
Flame Breath — Two second cast, 45 yard frontal cone. About 20,000 damage unresisted.
Cleave — 100% Weapon damage cleave in her frontal arc. Cast often.
Wing Buffet — ~15,000 physical damage in a 20 yard frontal cone. Ignores armour.
Tail Sweep — ~5,000 physical damage to targets near her tail. Ignores armour. Large knockback, often into the whelp caves.

Phase Two
Deep Breath IS random!
Onyxia takes off at 65% and has no threat table. She can be melee'd underneath her hitbox from the ground.
Fireball — Two second cast, random target in the raid. 10 yard AoE. About 5,000 damage unresisted.
Breath — Onyxia emotes "Onyxia takes in a deep breath..." and about six seconds later all targets in a direct line in front of her will take repeated 4-5,000 Fire damage hits. The number of times hit depends on how close to the middle of the line the target is. Being in the middle of the breath is generally fatal.
Spawn Onyxian Whelps - At the beginning of phase two and about every 90 seconds after Onyxia will spawn 40 Onyxian whelps with 60,000 HP who melee for 500 or so on plate. 20 will come from each side of the whelp cave.
Spawn Onyxian Lair Guard - Every 30 seconds or so in phase 2 Onyxia will spawn an Onyxian Lair Guard with 190,000 HP (650,000 on 25-man). This will cast Ignite Weapon which adds 25,000 fire damage to its melee attacks and gives them a 5 yard AoE, and Blast Nova which does 25,000 fire damage to targets within 10 yards.

Phase Three
Onyxia lands at 40% HP. She retains all her phase one abilities and gains some additional abilities.
Bellowing Roar — 1.5 second cast, 100 yard AoE fear. Three second duration.
Eruption — During the duration of bellowing roar lava will erupt from the cracks in the floor. Being touched deals about 5,000 Fire damage.
Spawn Onyxian Whelps - Small numbers of Whelps will continue to spawn in phase 3.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Phase one simply involves pointing Onyxia at the back wall, healing the tank and DPS-ing her to 65%.

Phase two you will want to gather up and AoE down the first wave of whelps (who can do considerable tank damage with all 40 attacking the same target). Onyxia's fireball damage is fairly negligible. DPS can then commence on Onyxia herself who moves randomly around the room.

Whenever Onyxia spawns a Lair Guard it is advisable to have ranged DPS kill it immediately. It has very little HP but some fairly dangerous abilities that can kill melee DPS if they are not careful.

When Onyxia emotes for Deep Breath ensuring you are not in front of where Onyxia is facing will prevent being hit. Often simply running for the sides of the room will save you as well.

You may get another wave of whelps in which case gather and AoE as before, when Onyxia hits 40% she will land for good. She will cast Bellowing Roar immediately upon landing. Finish off whatever adds remain while the tank positions Onyxia (who has wiped threat from phase 1, it's advisable to have a fear ward or a fear break on the tank initially).

Phase 3 is little different from phase one aside from fears, some raid damage from eruption and occasional whelp spawns which are not too dangerous. She does nothing else special and will die upon reaching 0% HP.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Loot Tables
-----
Anything else?
I never had the chance to kill her as I started just before BC. Tonight I will find out what it's like =)
Last edited by abinning on Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
abinning

Re: Onyxia 2.0 (patch 3.22)

Postby Arianne » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:27 pm

Does anyone know if the Onyxian Guards are slowable and can they be CoI'd? Should we have a tank kite or just have him tank? I guess melee stays on Onyxia?
Arianne

Postby abinning » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:25 pm

The ranged should be able to burn them fast enough for it not to matter much. 190K health on 10-man
You could have the OT taunt them or a hunter distracting shot them, but I don't think they will be a problem.
Will find out in a few hours =P
abinning

Postby Xequecal » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:04 pm

I'm more interested in the 25-man loot table. Considering the 10-man Paladin tank helm is substantially better than both the ilvl245 Tier 9 and the ilvl245 badge helm, the 25-man version is going to blow everything else out of the water if it's itemized similarly but with just more stats. Probably over 200 STA before gems or enchants.
Xequecal

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:21 pm

It's actually 199 stamina. The good stats seem to be at the cost of Strength.

http://www.wowarmory.com/item-info.xml?i=49475
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Xequecal » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:37 pm

Yes, that's pretty absurd. That's better than the 258 T9 helm.
Xequecal

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:49 pm

Fight on 10m is laughable. Went in with two tanks, but I DC'd due to WoW epicfailing and the other tank just held everything.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby KevinG81 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:03 pm

25man ony

3 tanks, druid, 2 paladins

druid tank boss with tanks back against north wall

phase1
both paladin tanks hang out near welps to pick any up that dps might land on.
burn ony, keep melee near front but not in fornt of her, stay away from tail/front

phase two she walks south towards the enterance of the cave, while she does this welps spawn i noticed that they dont come staight out of the welp area but turn south right as they leave that area (so postion add tanks just sout of it for aoe pick up). melee burns werps with all the got, range stays on ony.
big add comes out of the south enterance, ony tank picks that add up melee burns big add and then goes back to welps. (repeat till ony comes down)

phase 3 pick up ony
tank fear ward MT

very easy fight, we did wipe b/c MT picked up some whelps then picked up big add and got raped.
KevinG81

Postby Jkaen » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:59 am

Any thoughts on where Onyxia stands in raid difficulty progressions? (impression I am getting is between Naxx and Ulduar)
Jkaen

Postby Io.Draco » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:08 am

So how do you manage the fear? :P

I am really not in the mood for doing another Nightbane episode. ( If you catch my drift )
Io.Draco

Postby hoho » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:13 am

My guess is that she hits like a noodle anyway and taking 2-3 hits won't kill a decent tank with a few hots on him
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby djlar » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:23 am

As melee participant I saw that the area to stand in is very narrow to avoid frontal cleaves/cones and back tailwhips, it's a bit more narrow than Sephiroth.. didn't test the hitbox from the side, best spot seems to be a yard in front of her back leg, melee should stand in the same side for control...

Mutilate rogues still good for phase 2, FoK spam is very viable, but only in conjuction or ToT or else get aggro and die.. I could see right there some of the effects of the prot pally threat nerf... as soon as ToT wore off, aggro was gained way too fast ...

Thanks for the tip about being able to melee hit Ony from below, now I know what to do in between whelp waves.

Cast times on guardians help melee get away from that AoE dmg

Ph 3 the tremor totems didn't seem to work too well, perhaps was due to lag or something..
djlar

Postby Jedah » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:50 am

djlar wrote:As melee participant I saw that the area to stand in is very narrow to avoid frontal cleaves/cones and back tailwhips, it's a bit more narrow than Sephiroth..

Sartharion? :lol:
Jedah

Postby Dakiros » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:55 am

abinning wrote:She can be melee'd underneath her hitbox from the ground.

I found this to not be true, I was standing directly under her and could only hit her with judgments. Also when I read WoWWiki yesterday for the changes to her from 60 I saw that she is not melee-able. Anyone else able to hit her from the ground?
Dakiros

Postby djlar » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:50 am

Jedah wrote:
djlar wrote:As melee participant I saw that the area to stand in is very narrow to avoid frontal cleaves/cones and back tailwhips, it's a bit more narrow than Sephiroth..

Sartharion? :lol:

I meant Sapphiron... sorry LOL..

Similarities between the two are way close, change ice to fire and add some Heigan cracks.. add 40 adds.. (what was first? first Naxx or Ony?)
djlar

Next

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon