New Tankadin

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

New Tankadin

Postby ikabod00 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:05 am

Hey all, as you can probably see from my 1 post count, i am new to maintankadin. (I didn't even know it existed until yesterday). Had been checking elitistjerks, tankspot a little bit, and some other random forums such as mmo-champion to get the info I wanted. Never really found it. And finally found this forum and it answered so many of my questions.

So, after reading a lot of posts yesterday (while at work, shhh) I went home, and made some changes to my tankadin. Looking to heading towards 1.88:1 dodge to parry ratio. Replaced gems I didn't need with stam, or stam/dodge gems. I looked at getting agility, but I read here that agility really starts to become more useful as DR affects you more (in the 20%'s). So I am foregoing agility for the time being. Though, I am still looking for some input specifically for me.

This is my tankadin http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n=Segfault

Now, I have been told on other forums about my build not being the best. What should I change around? And why? Anyone have a build they can link that would be better? Also, any other input you guys could possibly give would be awesome. This is my first tank (only one other char really, a mage) and I leveled this guy as ret, so having to worry about all these different stats is a bit daunting at first. Thanks.

Edit: Ok, I have another question too. I see around, all the tanks talking about their multiple gear sets and such. And I read the guide on the different gear sets to have. What I didn't see is how the heck you acquire 3 completely different sets of tanking gear. Is it kind of a hand-me-down system, where gear you replace goes towards a 2nd set? Then 3rd set? Regemming and replacing as gear that is better for a particular set comes around? Did you raid/instance for pieces for the particular set? Thanks again.
ikabod00

Re: New Tankadin

Postby Wrathy » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:07 am

First, Welcome!

On to the goodies.... Your spec does seem to be a bit off. There are some choices that you have made that may seem like they were going to pay off but in the long end are a waste of talent points. since the changes to the prot tree in 3.1, I personally have used a 0/53/18build.

To address some of the things that you have, Seals of the pure is not as beneficial to threat as crusade, Divinity, while it looks attractive is not worth 5 talent points, you should only need 1/2 spiritual attunement if you are tanking a mob and taking damage. Other than that, Vindication is a great talent that has been buffed in the last major patch and should be included in any build unless you have two other prot warriors that feel they really want to provide demo shout. I am a recent convert to Pursuit of Justice, it will really help out as well.

With respect to the gear guide and the multiple sets, that is something to strive for but by no means something you should have right off the bat. The thing that you want to remember when it comes to your gear sets and loot that drops off bosses is that almost every piece that drops has a purpose and function. Just because you have a belt with more defense and stamina doesnt mean that another belt couldnt be a great addition to an alternate set of gear.

I have four sets of gear, but it took me months and months of time to get it, and every week i look to see if i can improve them with new pieces. Really what you want to do in your position is focus on gearing for survival, as you are just starting out. Run tons of heroics, naxx, what ever you can to get your hands on badges and buy the two piece T8, buy the badge look from each of the tiers, rings, trinkets, cloaks, etc, and use those. As you start tanking more and more, you will have the opportunity to pick up gear that may look like a side grade to the gear that you are wearing at the time, but may really be a huge upgrade for another set. And remember, never throw away a ring, trinket, neck, etc unless you have a direct upgrade, as they may be useful for another set.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby ikabod00 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:37 am

Thank you. :)

I will get on that changing of my spec once I get home (at work right now). Maybe try yours out and see how I like it.

This weekend is really going to be spent gearing this tank up, my girlfriend is gone for the weekend, so I have a lot of time this weekend. She plays WoW as well, but still not as much time to play if she is around. Most of my time is usually spent on my mage, but I want my tank to a point where he is useful for me. I will get into some heroic grinding this weekend. Head into ToC when I can. I have tanked there multiple times with no issues. Well, there was issue once with confessor and the group not being able to get past her, but that was not due to me. Yeah, keep attacking the confessor when she summons the nightmare and see how fast you don't live.

Last time i ran reg ToC, I did it a couple times in a row, hoping to get some tanking gear and some gear for my rogue gf. She got the Banner of Victory, i managed to get that I think is every piece of DPS plate is in there, but not one tank piece. Hopefully have better luck this weekend.

I think my enchants are alright. Is there any other enchants I should look at getting? My mage is a chanter, so getting them is not a problem. What enchant should I put on my weapon?
ikabod00

Postby honorshammer » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:38 am

I'm also a recent convert to PoJ. The two fights that swung me were Hodir Hard and Heroic Icehowl.

You don't get a run speed buff on Heroic Icehowl and if he hits anyone its pretty much a wipe.

Hodir Hard you've got to get the ice mounds. After a couple of times of barely not making it with Tuskar's, I switched to PoJ.
honorshammer

Postby ikabod00 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:31 am

So, tried some farming of Reg ToC this weekend. I have decided that place hates me with a passion. After what seemed like 30 runs. I managed to pick up 2 of the pieces of tank gear from there. Gonna go for the 3rd, then maybe try Heroic. Just a small update as to where I am right now. I got the first piece (pants) Friday night, and then got the belt Sunday, late in the day. And was very very tired of Reg ToC by that point. :)
ikabod00

Postby Pizbit » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:54 am

ikabod00 wrote:So, tried some farming of Reg ToC this weekend. I have decided that place hates me with a passion. After what seemed like 30 runs. I managed to pick up 2 of the pieces of tank gear from there. Gonna go for the 3rd, then maybe try Heroic. Just a small update as to where I am right now. I got the first piece (pants) Friday night, and then got the belt Sunday, late in the day. And was very very tired of Reg ToC by that point. :)

Don't need to worry too much about the black heart now either, just do Coren the brewfest 'boss' a few times and get both dark and light stam trinkets, 170 stamina each!

This little beauty is awaiting for you in ToC heroic. Just be warned it can get a little rough, be ready to dispel yourself and others for the second boss.

I'd switch your meta gem to the stam/armor value one when you can afford the defense loss.

As you're mostly doing heroics etc, I'd get the Libram of Sacred Shield - when 3.2.2 hits it'll be better than the emblem of heroism libram.

Be sure to always do the daily heroic for triumph emblems, and to tank VoA10.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby ikabod00 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:20 am

Pizbit wrote:Don't need to worry too much about the black heart now either, just do Coren the brewfest 'boss' a few times and get both dark and light stam trinkets, 170 stamina each!

This little beauty is awaiting for you in ToC heroic. Just be warned it can get a little rough, be ready to dispel yourself and others for the second boss.

I'd switch your meta gem to the stam/armor value one when you can afford the defense loss.

As you're mostly doing heroics etc, I'd get the Libram of Sacred Shield - when 3.2.2 hits it'll be better than the emblem of heroism libram.

Be sure to always do the daily heroic for triumph emblems, and to tank VoA10.

Actually, my first ever run of Reg ToC i managed to get lucky and pick up the Black Heart. I was really lucky as I have not seen it drop since. Maybe thats why my luck has been crap with getting stuff :)

And thanks for the advice, I will look into these changes.
ikabod00

Postby Enzyme » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:32 am

Hey! It is also quite worthwhile to look into crafted gear; think indestructible plate girdle and spiked deathdealers, which are relevant right through to ToC 25 and probably even further. You say your Mage is an enchanter, so money shouldn't be a problem.

Also, with talents, try to understand why the talent is there and how it will affect your performance on different scenarios. Always spec core talents first then add in perk talents or non-essentials.

As for other gearsets, it's mostly a myth XD. By and large you end up having to balance your survival and mitigation stats around hit and expertise. I usually raid with my gf who is a lock putting out 7k dps so I'm always trying to maximize my TPS. Just remember that holy shield means that you don't need to gear for block rating and having a good libram means the same thing for block value. I always prefer dodge for gemming purple, def for green if your trying to get a bonus and most of the time you will be.

Remember to follow your 96 rotation, but also think about how you begin it and when it's a better idea to just use judge/hammer/shield for initial threat.

Good luck with gearing and remember your gear will take time to improve so just take your upgrades as you see them :) peace
Enzyme

Postby cerwillis » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:17 pm

Enzyme wrote:As for other gearsets, it's mostly a myth XD. By and large you end up having to balance your survival and mitigation stats around hit and expertise. I usually raid with my gf who is a lock putting out 7k dps so I'm always trying to maximize my TPS. Just remember that holy shield means that you don't need to gear for block rating and having a good libram means the same thing for block value. I always prefer dodge for gemming purple, def for green if your trying to get a bonus and most of the time you will be.

I think that this may be a bit misleading to just dismiss the value of alternate sets, I would actually guess that most tanks on this site have between 2-4 sets of gear for tanking. To the OP: when we say "sets" we dont necessarily mean that each set is 17 different pieces of gear, some pieces will be in all of your sets. Changing from one "set" to another may just mean swapping your trinkets and belt, or going to another helm with a different gem scheme. The following is a quick and dirty summary of the 4 different types of gear sets we build:

Avoidance/Progression set: This set emphasizes armor and avoidance, to maximize the chance that you can completely avoid (miss, dodge,parry) large hits. The armor is secondary, to help you withstand the hits that do get through. Most people would gem for Stamina or agi/dodge stam in this set.

Block set for adds and stuff you outgear: Block value and rating are key to this set, as they help you mitigate large numbers of small hits. Gem stam or str in this set

EH set: stam, stam and more stam. Good for dragon fights (breaths) and other fights with large amounts of unavoidable damage.

Threat set: This is mostly for hard mode type fights where you want to avoid capping threat on your dps. Strength is a priority here, and most people gem for it. Edit: Hit rating and expertise are important for threat as well, as Enzyme pointed out.

Most sets will keep the defense minimum of 540. Another comment that I would make is that many of us gem for pure stamina these days, regardless of socket bonuses. Get your defense minimum and metagem activated and then go stam crazy, unless you are going for a +9 or +12 stam bonus.
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby ikabod00 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:36 am

cerwillis wrote:
I think that this may be a bit misleading to just dismiss the value of alternate sets, I would actually guess that most tanks on this site have between 2-4 sets of gear for tanking. To the OP: when we say "sets" we dont necessarily mean that each set is 17 different pieces of gear, some pieces will be in all of your sets. Changing from one "set" to another may just mean swapping your trinkets and belt, or going to another helm with a different gem scheme. The following is a quick and dirty summary of the 4 different types of gear sets we build:

Wow. Of course. I can't believe i hadn't considered that pieces would be user in multiple sets. Here i am thinking about having like 4 complete sets of gear. I feel dumb now.

But, tanking has been going pretty well for me. Picked up those tank trinkets (all 3) from Direbrew. I only have one of the 170 stam ones equipped right now, as I also have my Black Heart. I have done H ToC twice, nothing yet for me. But it has been going well. Am not really having problems with threat, even with people with high dps and threat (damn mages, i have one). Only times i have had issues with threat is when i screw up getting initial threat but i am usually able to get it back quickly. And i am using the 96 rotation.
Thanks for the help so far all.
ikabod00

Return to Basic Training & Talents