Remove Advertisements

Defense cap question

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Re: Defense cap question

Postby Wrathy » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:33 pm

I disagree with point number three for one reason:

The more stamina you have, and the larger your health pool, the more you extend the range of ardent defender, which is the most powerful damage mitigating talent that you have. More stamina is always good, with the caveat that you don't sacrifice the other stats needed to be a good tank.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:11 am

Also, the problem with gearing for avoidance is the assumption that you can avoid the damage. More and more Blizzard is moving towards unavoidable damage via aoe, environmental, knockdown or freezing effects on the tank.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby majiben » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:53 am

Wrathy wrote:I disagree with point number three for one reason:

The more stamina you have, and the larger your health pool, the more you extend the range of ardent defender, which is the most powerful damage mitigating talent that you have. More stamina is always good, with the caveat that you don't sacrifice the other stats needed to be a good tank.

Actually, more stamina means less damage mitigated by AD which in turn could cause an extra healer requirement (yes, it's that powerful). For instance, with 50k hp, an additional 2k hp means that you have to take an additional 1.4k damage before it starts to be mitigated.

Now is this necessarily a large problem? No, not usually. But it should be kept in mind that more stamina is not strictly good, even versus using nothing.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Dakiros » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:09 am

I move that we start referring to 540 defense as the "defense shoe", who's with me? :mrgreen:
Dakiros

Previous

Return to Basic Training & Talents