Remove Advertisements

Holy Shield vs latency

All things /script related

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, _Chloe

Holy Shield vs latency

Postby duvetdave » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:06 am

Hello Tankadins!

Recently got myself to uncrushable and ready to start tanking Kara. My concern is that my current connection often leaves with me with high latency (300-500ms) and I am very concerned about this leaving me with holy shield down.

Is there any mod/macro I can get that will help me with this, I have been looking at Quartz but can this help me with an instant cast?
duvetdave

Re: Holy Shield vs latency

Postby moduspwnens » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:41 am

duvetdave wrote:Hello Tankadins!

Recently got myself to uncrushable and ready to start tanking Kara. My concern is that my current connection often leaves with me with high latency (300-500ms) and I am very concerned about this leaving me with holy shield down.

Is there any mod/macro I can get that will help me with this, I have been looking at Quartz but can this help me with an instant cast?

Rumor is, that's obsolete now. I can't attest to it, but supposedly all requests will now be sent to the server, thus eliminating the usefulness of /stopcasting macros and Quartz's latency feature. So, as far as I know, spam that button. Right now I'm working with 1-2s lag spike issues, which sometimes are good, and other times land at JUST the Holy Shield refreshing time.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Neuron » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:11 am

I just wanted to reply and state that GOD I LOVE YOUR NAME. Made me shoot coke up my nose thinking back to my introductory logic courses in college.
http://www.ardentdefender.com - A combat log parsing API
Neuron

Postby Lore » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:14 am

The game still won't send a new cast for an ability that's on cooldown, so Holy Shield saw no benefit from the changes in 2.3, and stopcasting macros do nothing for it (since it's not being cast, it's on a cooldown).

The only abilities that get any benefit from the stopcasting macro or the change in 2.3 are spammable (no cooldown) abilities with a cast time greater than the global cooldown.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby duvetdave » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:29 am

Lore wrote:The game still won't send a new cast for an ability that's on cooldown, so Holy Shield saw no benefit from the changes in 2.3, and stopcasting macros do nothing for it (since it's not being cast, it's on a cooldown).

The only abilities that get any benefit from the stopcasting macro or the change in 2.3 are spammable (no cooldown) abilities with a cast time greater than the global cooldown.

With that in mind do you think that my latency is going to be a big issue in not pushing crushable of the table between casts at what Im guessing will be a few ms intervals?
duvetdave

Postby Zhalseran » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:59 am

Quartz's latency tracking is still valuable for spells with a cast time, but you don't need /stopcasting macros any more since spell casts are sent to the server even while casting another spell now. Meaning that if you cast another spell while quartz is in the "latency area" you will start casting the next spell.

As holy shield is instant, it isn't affected by any of this. So if you are having latency concerns just spam the button.
Zhalseran

Postby Merise » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:34 pm

Yea just spam the button. That isn't bad latency, I generally run on about 300-400 and never have any issue with crushing blows, sure there's a .3-.4 second period you may be crushable, but you can't do anything about it unless blizz reduces the cooldown and chances of getting a crushing in there are relatively low. More likely to get one because you mess up your cycle tbh.
Merise

Postby duvetdave » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:12 am

Thanks for the info guys, dont feel quite a worried about getting crushed now, spam button FTW!
duvetdave

Return to Add-ons, UI, and Macros