Is there a definite 3.2 build yet?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Is there a definite 3.2 build yet?

Postby Vlad » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:09 pm

Or maybe a definite two builds that are equal in different ways, I've seen a lot of people talking about choosing a certain build but everyone seems to be varying slightly so I was wondering if someone has come out yet and said this is the best, here is why etc.

Also a few people are saying that SoTP, Reckoning and vindication are all good talents now, I've still got my build from 3.1 so haven't speced into any of those.
Vlad

Re: Is there a definite 3.2 build yet?

Postby Snake-Aes » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:02 am

Vindication is as important as Judgments of the just, and no you are not allowed to pick one over the other. Pick both.
Reason: Vindication reduces ap in as much as an improved demoralizing shout, and it's passive.

Reckoning is not *as bad as it used to be*, but it's sitll your worst threat talent. The only reason we have to pick it today is to fill those 3 points necessary to go further into prot. There are utilitarian alternatives to it though(Divine Sacrifice/HoJ).
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Florisia » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:14 am

Snake-Aes wrote:Vindication is as important as Judgments of the just, and no you are not allowed to pick one over the other. Pick both.
Reason: Vindication reduces ap in as much as an improved demoralizing shout, and it's passive.

Reckoning is not *as bad as it used to be*, but it's sitll your worst threat talent. The only reason we have to pick it today is to fill those 3 points necessary to go further into prot. There are utilitarian alternatives to it though(Divine Sacrifice/HoJ).

^Agreed.

Vindication is easy-mode demoralizing shout. Unless you know that you're going to be hanging out with warrior speced into Improved Demoralizing Shout, skipping over it is not worth it. There's a thread that explains the formulas for attackpower decreases and how much it effects PVE. Once I remember where it is, I'll link it here.

The three 'filler' points in the Prot tree, I don't really know what is accepted by the Maintankadin community. I personally go with Reckoning simply because the other options are too situational for me. HOJ is good for quicker interrupts/stuns in situations where they're applicable/usable. I don't really agree with the Divine Sacrifice idea. Maintankadins(And even addtankadins/offtankadins) probably shouldn't be using Divine Sacrifice in most situations, as the cumultive damage could kill them without bubble/bubblewall, and bubbling will pass the baton to the next highest threat. I just don't see it as a practical choice for a tankadin outside of the bonuses to Sacred Shield bonuses in one-pally parties.

Reckoning, I find nifty for gaining quick little bonuses from Judgements and bursts of TPS/DPS, but not really outstanding otherwise. Although, wasn't there some issue with bosses parrying?

As for Seals of the Pure, I don't really think it's a situation of 'Is it good' as much as it is a 'Is it worth to lose x for'. Considering you'd be pulling those points from Ret. I think Theck's work would shed some light on that, but I haven't seen the numbers for SotP vs what you'd lose from Ret.
Florisia

Postby Snake-Aes » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:12 am

SotP loses against crusader against the crusader's favored targets, otherwise it's preferred over crusader.

I do use DS a lot more than you'd think a main tank would, actually. A good example is gorthok when i'm passing the tanking to the second tank. Bubble, DS, profit.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Snickersnee » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:16 pm

With my spec i decided to go with 5/53/13 With Seal of the Pure because with the huge buff to Vengeance/Corruption it is a huge threat boost and leave conviction to the side. I recently went into Vindication because i have noticed none of a warriors have imp demo so i thought that it would be a great addition. I don't know if this is the best Spec but i love the spec. 0.V
Snickersnee

Postby majiben » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:16 pm

Snickersnee wrote:With my spec i decided to go with 5/53/13 With Seal of the Pure because with the huge buff to Vengeance/Corruption it is a huge threat boost and leave conviction to the side. I recently went into Vindication because i have noticed none of a warriors have imp demo so i thought that it would be a great addition. I don't know if this is the best Spec but i love the spec. 0.V

As said before, since you are doing CC, an Crusade spec is superior.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Solitatis » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:07 am

SotP also is more attactive if you are still using t8.5 2 set bonus. For a MT spec, I would not recommend it at this time.
Thought without action is a daydream.
Action without thought is a nightmare.
Solitatis

Postby majiben » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:07 am

Solitatis wrote:SotP also is more attactive if you are still using t8.5 2 set bonus. For a MT spec, I would not recommend it at this time.

Nope. Crusade still wins. The difference between SotP with 2p T8 and without is magnitudes smaller than the difference caused in crusade based upon the mob type.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Wardari » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:30 am

I would guess the most commonly used spec is probably http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZV0tAbuMusIufdtsMobc

There are a couple of things you can swap out if you really want - Divine Guardian and Sacrifice for I don't know Improved HoJ or Divinity - I personally wouldn't recommend doing this as I use DS in so many fights these days (for example I often pop it at the start of faction champions when they use Bloodlust/Heroism or on Anuberaks AOE health leech in phase 3)

I guess others you could change would be to take Imp Might and drop a point from Heart of the Crusader but these are purely for the sake of your raid if you don't have a ret paladin or a DPS warrior on board, I personally always one or both of those in my 25 man raids so i'm usually doing raid wide kings or BoS, those few points in the first two tiers of ret is up to you really (providing you take 5/5 deflection and 1 in imp judgements ofc).

The main points being to take Vindication and Crusade, plus all the other mandatory talents, sweeten to flavour with the odd floating talent points and you're set.
Wardari

Postby dendris » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:10 am

Majiben wrote:
Solitatis wrote:SotP also is more attactive if you are still using t8.5 2 set bonus. For a MT spec, I would not recommend it at this time.

Nope. Crusade still wins. The difference between SotP with 2p T8 and without is magnitudes smaller than the difference caused in crusade based upon the mob type.

Has this been proven (links please)?
dendris

Postby Florisia » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:33 am

dendris wrote:
Majiben wrote:

Has this been proven (links please)?

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/viewtopic.php?p=474815#p474815

Theck's work is the most accurate I've seen thus far. At the very least, this covers the benefit of Crusade vs SOTP. Crusade utterly crushes SOTP on DUH mobs, and on no-DUH, it's only slightly lower. Your safest bet is with Crusade.
Florisia

Postby Torquemada » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:40 pm

I'm using 4/5 SotP atm because the majority of my guild's time is spent in Ulduar, whereas we clear 10 man and 25 man ToC in one night, and aren't really pushing the HMs too much. There are enough Non-humanoid/undead/etc. in Ulduar that I feel it to be worth the investment atm. When we start focusing more in ToC or when 3.3 comes out with Icecrown Citadel, I will certainly be going back(I was Crusade+ 3/5 Conviction specced in 3.1) to Crusade, with probably 1/5 in Conv to keep Vindication and PoJ.
Torquemada

Postby Trav » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:20 pm

Anybody speccing into SoComm? I don't think I will for ToC, but it could be useful eventually in IC when it eventually comes out. Anybody play with this on the PTR?
Trav

Postby Torquemada » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:27 am

Haven't taken SoC, and probably won't unless Theck shows that it's insanely uber for trash. I do have it on my Ret spec, mostly because I don't like having unfinished talents when possible and I couldn't fit 2/2 Vindication into my spec and keep Aura Mastery.

I went back to a Lol-OOM Vezax spec this week, having never tanked Vez before but I had to both in 25 and 10 man this week. I had to basically sit down every other attack to have enough mana to hold threat off a stupid Warlock who didn't know how to give me a little space.
Torquemada

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:27 am

Torquemada wrote:Haven't taken SoC, and probably won't unless Theck shows that it's insanely uber for trash. I do have it on my Ret spec, mostly because I don't like having unfinished talents when possible and I couldn't fit 2/2 Vindication into my spec and keep Aura Mastery.

I went back to a Lol-OOM Vezax spec this week, having never tanked Vez before but I had to both in 25 and 10 man this week. I had to basically sit down every other attack to have enough mana to hold threat off a stupid Warlock who didn't know how to give me a little space.

It's not gonna be any good for trash, it's current intended iteration won't proc the chain from abilities that hit more than one target, so it'll basically only proc from autoattacks.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents