Remove Advertisements

[Enh Shaman] Fun as the Other Hybrid

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Enh Shaman] Fun as the Other Hybrid

Postby Kiorken » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:12 am

My main back in BC was actually a Troll Shaman at 70. He was Enhance then, and it was fun, though PVP was painful. I eventually got really good at PVP with enhance, because of a very popular Tauren Shaman, and representative for Enhance everywhere, named Push. He was an Arena champion, and had amazing ability and synergy with his rogue in 2's.

After dualspeccing Kiorken as Prot//Holy, I decided I kinda wanted a dps class, but wasn't really interested in a caster. The day faction transfers happened, I decided to move Sefeon from my PVP Horde server to my Kio's PVE Alliance side.

First, its a much better change of pace, I think my Draenei looks much cooler than my Troll. It certainly is different to beat on Horde than Alliance as a Shaman.
Enhancement has changed drastically. Where Ret just got stronger, and have a some new tools, Enhance has completely changed. Itemization, gearing, specialization, glyph suggestion, and playstyle are all different.
You get AP from Agility and Intellect, instead of 2 from Strength, like you did in BC. I like this, now you can effectivly share gear with Hunters. The Agility rolls into more crit and higher dodge, which definately adds to the dismal survivability Enhance is renowned for. They upped the overall health Shaman have, because it was noticably low, even if you were a cow. They made it where you can place all your totems at once, and magma totem is now a staple of the DPS rotation (imagine Consecration that can crit, and generally does more damage). We have a nice big mana pool because of the intellect we can now stack, and crit applies to spell and melee. Hit applies to spell and melee. The more AP you have, the more your spells do, which is about 50 percent of your damage anyway.

Been running Heroics and raids since I dinged Sunday, and it has been the most fun of my life. With Unleashed Rage, Windfury totem, instant (possible full Healing Wave) spells, Enhance brings a lot to the table. I ran with my dad's warrior, and with a rogue in HUP the other night, and even though I pulled the lowest DPS, we ran through it like it was not even Heroic. The rogue and my dad said they felt thier DPS was susbstantially higher with higher AP and Windfury. When I went to Uld 10, as a PUGed DPS for a guild's alt and newbie initiation run, it felt pretty good. We ONLY did FL, and then Razorscale, but just the fight with Razorscale was epic enough to feel awesome. Instant Ghost Wolfing between the adds, and then Razorscale, then back to Razorscale when she knocks you back, and laying totems in between the casters and melee, and Instant Chain Lightning on the mobs as AOE, just felt amazing. Dual wielding is fun too, certainly a change of pace compared to Paladin lol
Also on this fight, I was second DPS, second only to the Fury warrior with dual Edge of Ruin :)

Not a lot of Shamans Alliance side, certainly not compared to the ratio of Horde Paladins. This means I have a full set of resto gear already, even the Spectral Kris! Not that I want to be resto anytime soon, but you never know.
I dual specced Enhance as off for PVP too, I plan on building up the gear to dominate with.
On the note for PVP, enhace is far, far, far stronger than it was in BC. It is much easier to survive, even against rogues! (Kiorken used to eat rogues as Ret, but Sefeon in BC had issues being stunlocked). When wolves are used, its like an IWIN button. You can't be held back, the wolves give you health back for fighting, the wolves can stun, you get immune to movement impairing effects, and you move 60 percent faster when they use Spirity Walk. New Earthbind and they way they changed Frost Brand and Frost Shock with talents makes it easier to slow enemies, and Ghost Wolf now seems either able to break you out of binds, or is just resistant to it. I have seen a few times where a mage would freeze me, I would instant shift, and run right up on him!
Having Wind Shear off of the shocks took some getting used to. Wind Shear is off the GCD though, so you can use it when you use anything else. Its awesome as an interrupt, because it only has a 6 sec cooldown, and you can use it when shocks are off cooldown, to make sure you keep up your dps. Between Wind Shear, Tremor Totem, and Grounding totem, casters are incredibly easy to annihilate. It seems they are somewhat helpless when I constantly interrupt and draw away thier spells. Its also fun to purge a discipline priests shields, lay tremor to avoid fear, grounding takes SW:Pain, and when they start to heal, just interrupt, and beat on them. Keep purge going, and shock the mess outta them. First class I've seen other than rogue that can rip discipline apart.

Some of the utility feels great too. A break down of what we bring to a raid:
Windfury Totem: 20 percent melee haste to raid? yes please
Unleashed Rage: 10 percent higher AP for everyone
Earth Shock: this was redesigned, now makes enemies attack 10 percent slower, this is a nice buffer for your tank
Wind Shear: threat dump and interrupt on tiny cd, Less-rabi anyone?
Healing Stream totem: mini hot for all
Strength of Earth: Shaman Horn of winter, agility and strength for all, better with talents
Earthen Power: if the shaman is specced for this (my pvp spec has this), it un snares the raid, while snaring the mobs
Cleansing totem: gets rid of poisons and disease, upon laying, it works like an AOE Purify
Heroism: pwnage, gives entire raid 30 percent haste to whatever, whether thats casting, attacking, healing.
Maelstrom: usually used to instant LB/CL, you can instant Healing Wave someone that dips low, especially if something is up with the healer. (can also keep yourself up if the healer isn't healing you for some reason)

Well, thats my input on what its like from the otherside.

What are your thoughts and experiences as...the Other Hybrid?

Playing very casually....for now.
Kiorken

Re: [Enh Shaman] Fun as the Other Hybrid

Postby Baelor » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:24 am

Kiorken wrote:What are your thoughts and experiences as...the Other Hybrid?

You mean druids?
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Drexanna » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:26 am

I am enjoying my Elemental shaman at the moment - fun to kill things before they even reach you. I just got Lava Burst (only just hit 75), and it definitely makes life easier!

My offsepc is Resto, as it generally makes it really easy to find a group - amazing how many requests you get with the words "I can heal" :D

Maybe I should try Enh, although I keep selling all the enh gear I am getting from quest rewards :)
Drexanna

Postby Shoju » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:28 am

I have always wanted a shaman, but the horde side water quest has killed every last one of them, and my ally shamans normally die in the mid 20's when the fun wears off and I have no one to level with or talk to.

I will say, an RL friend is leveling an ENH shaman and loving every minute of it. We are crushing quests like it is childs play. Shadow priest + enh shaman is fun :)
Shoju

Postby Kiorken » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:30 am

Leveling a shaman is a pain in the rear, they start to shine when they get all thier tools. For enhance, its about 48 when you have all your talents for DW, SS, and ImpSS, and DW spec.

At 75, I went elemental to finish leveling, because critting things for 5k at 75 is op. Flame Shock/Lava Burst Combo is devastating.

Enhace is hard though. Would not recommend it unless you are a very good rogue, or druid. I have 3 addons set up for it: Power Auras, Elkano's Buff Bars, and most importantly, ShockandAwe. Managing what is going on can be difficult, especially when things are going rather hectic. But a well managed enhance is a good one, and has the propensity of greatness.

Kiorken

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:10 am

Enhancement is the only other class I am capable of playing well. I say class because they are on a whole different level from Elemental and Resto. I've been an Enhancement Shaman since... Patch 1.7? or so, and not once have I ever thought "Maybe I shouldn't be Enhance..." Only my Tankadin rivals the fun I have in this game.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Kelaan » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:16 am

Dual wielding is fun

Why? I don't get it. Is it just that you see more numbers spammed? My outgoing damage list in MSBT is already full, I don't notice much between them. When I played my hunter, I never understood the obsession with DW either. It's not like we have different skills available. The only time it seemed different was on my warrior, when fury had a smoother rage intake than arms did.
Kelaan

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:33 am

There's just something about the feel of it. I got bored playing 2H on my DK, and find Dual Wield much more interesting. My Enh shaman is fun too. Something about the swing animations and less time you seem like you're standing doing nothing between hits, probably.

And, yes, there's the big flashy string of numbers when you get a load of simultaneous MH/OH/WF/FT hit/crits.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby bub64882 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:30 pm

Drexanna wrote:I am enjoying my Elemental shaman at the moment - fun to kill things before they even reach you. I just got Lava Burst (only just hit 75), and it definitely makes life easier!

My offsepc is Resto, as it generally makes it really easy to find a group - amazing how many requests you get with the words "I can heal" :D

Maybe I should try Enh, although I keep selling all the enh gear I am getting from quest rewards :)

I'm in exactly the same boat. Love the Shaman, Lava Burst is crazy good, as is Earth Shield and Jesus Beams. I'm more and more wanting to try enhancement, mostly because I love the models on the fist weapons dropping in Wrath. :)

I definately feel Shaman and Paladin bring a lot to the group/raid. The main difference, and I find it's one I enjoy, is that the Shaman feels more "active" in their contribution to the group, and the Paladin a bit more "passive".

Example: Auras and seals...turn em on, your done. Contrast that with Totems, where you drop them in strategic locations, and your choices need to complement your group makeup, and it feels a bit more of a strategic decision, rather than a fire and forget ability. Another would be cleanse (which Shaman can do too), versus purge...A much more offensive ability that I enjoy.

Since I'm not 80 and don't have hex I feel like the shaman is lacking a stun. I really wish I had a hammer of justice when I need to get off a heal. But still, as Elemental, Thunderstorm is sooo much fun, and better than a stun in most cases. Since I've been levelling in AV, blowing 5 horde off the bridge to General Stormpike is a rush on par with the first time I AOE tanked half of Strath in one pull.
bub64882

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:50 pm

I am reminded of this thread.

The Most Devout- This is the guy who gets to play an off-spec in a big-boy raid. He's the fury warrior or the enhance shammy. He cannot believe that some fate is letting him have this much fun that he's afraid it will all come crashing down. Prays devoutly to his favorite diety that the guild won't collapse because he'll never have THIS much fun again. Ever.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Kiorken » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:56 am

fuzzygeek wrote:I am reminded of this thread.

The Most Devout- This is the guy who gets to play an off-spec in a big-boy raid. He's the fury warrior or the enhance shammy. He cannot believe that some fate is letting him have this much fun that he's afraid it will all come crashing down. Prays devoutly to his favorite diety that the guild won't collapse because he'll never have THIS much fun again. Ever.

This is about why I am all giddy lol.

We got close to hard mode XT last night, and my dps was wonderful. We also did Ignis and Kolo, and it was great. I saw the healers have issues in the middle of Ignis, so instead of Chainlightning if I saw the melee get low, and the Flame Jets were on, I would instant Chain Heal after the debuff wore off, it actually saved the tank once lol

BTW, the RET pally, who is also the guild leader of the guild I pugged for, and the raid leader, was the highest dps....with Ironsoul...gotta give him credit, he was just below 6k on XT in 10 man

Kiorken

Postby vegardhv » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:15 am

Kiorken wrote:
fuzzygeek wrote:I am reminded of this thread.

This is about why I am all giddy lol.

We got close to hard mode XT last night, and my dps was wonderful. We also did Ignis and Kolo, and it was great. I saw the healers have issues in the middle of Ignis, so instead of Chainlightning if I saw the melee get low, and the Flame Jets were on, I would instant Chain Heal after the debuff wore off, it actually saved the tank once lol

BTW, the RET pally, who is also the guild leader of the guild I pugged for, and the raid leader, was the highest dps....with Ironsoul...gotta give him credit, he was just below 6k on XT in 10 man

I also have a shaman alt, and agree, it's fun to play. There's so much you can do, I'm just starting to learn everything. The other day we did Heigan 10 man (still gearing up) - I almost topped the healing metres just sending off instant chain heals on the melee group - and wasn't that bad on dps either - ok it wasn't a very experienced group but still :p
vegardhv
Maintankadonor

Postby Kiorken » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:29 am

Heigen I could definately see popping chain heals when possible lol, but then again, I have seen him beat with just the tank and a healer, so the more you can help the healers keep up the ppl that can't say outta the fire and dance, the faster it will go.

Kiorken

Postby Angelarc6570 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:30 pm

I have actually switched from raiding with my Ret Pally to raiding with my Enh. Shaman when I actually raid. I find it much more fun than ret, as you seem to bring a bit more offensive utility compared to ret, and the rotation is a bit more interesting than ret as well.

Also, being an underplayed classs (on my server at least) makes it great for running those Vaults :)
"Half my friendslist is made up of people I need to remember to hate"

Tier List! Supports!!

http://www.omgyumyum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=686

SC2/LoL
Angelarc6570

Postby honorshammer » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:00 pm

What Hierlooms would work best for leveling a Shaman?

Seems obvious the 'elements' ones are intended for Shamans, but would the 'hunter' ones actually be better for leveling?

SHOULDERS

Mystical Pauldrons of Elements
Binds to accountShoulder Mail
878 Armor
+64 Stamina
+43 Intellect
Requires level 1 to 80 (80)
Item Level 1
Equip: Restores 17 mana per 5 sec.
Equip: Increases spell power by 393.
Equip: Experience gained from killing monsters and completing quests increased by 10%.

versus

Champion Herod's Shoulder
Binds to accountShoulder Mail
878 Armor
+51 Agility
+54 Stamina
+29 Intellect
Item Level 1
Equip: Increases attack power by 102.
Equip: Increases spell power by 343.
Equip: Experience gained from killing monsters and completing quests increased by 10%.

CHEST

Mystical Vest of Elements
Binds to accountChest Mail
1171 Armor
+52 Stamina
+52 Intellect
Item Level 1
Equip: Restores 34 mana per 5 sec.
Equip: Increases spell power by 80.

versus

Champion's Deathdealer Breastplate
Binds to accountChest Mail
1171 Armor
+68 Agility
+68 Stamina
+45 Intellect
Item Level 1
Equip: Increases attack power by 137.

WEAPONS

Would it make more sense to just 1h/sheild my way to 40 with
Venerable Mass of McGowan
Binds to accountOne-Hand Mace
235 - 436 Damage Speed 2.80
(119.8 damage per second)
+29 Agility
+44 Stamina
Item Level 1
Equip: Improves critical strike rating by 19 (35.29% @ L1).
Equip: Increases attack power by 39.

and buy a second one at 40 to dual weild or should i buy

Repurposed Lava Dredger
Binds to accountTwo-Hand Mace
361 - 542 Damage Speed 2.90
(155.7 damage per second)
+68 Agility
+103 Stamina
+15 Fire Resistance
Item Level 1
Equip: Increases attack power by 91.
Equip: Increases your armor penetration rating by 45 (311.49% @ L1).

or a

Bloodied Arcanite Reaper
Binds to accountTwo-Hand Axe
474 - 711 Damage Speed 3.80
(155.9 damage per second)
+68 Strength
+103 Stamina
Item Level 1
Equip: Improves critical strike rating by 68 (1.48% @ L80).
honorshammer

Next

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes