[Prot-PvP] Versus Frost Mage...

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: [Prot-PvP] Versus Frost Mage...

Postby Panzerdin » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:43 pm

My honest advice, if the guy is good, would be to run away, because you won't get near him. It sucks, but it's true. He has all of the tools to keep you at range, and you'll have a very hard time beating him if he doesn't screw up. If he does, you've already received the combat advice.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Invisusira » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:50 pm

Panzerdin wrote:My honest advice, if the guy is good, would be to run away, because you won't get near him. It sucks, but it's true. He has all of the tools to keep you at range, and you'll have a very hard time beating him if he doesn't screw up. If he does, you've already received the combat advice.

"If the guy is good" is a HUGE variable that depends on both his and your skill and confidence. I don't really think this advice is very good, and certainly no good until you at least test your opponent's skill level.
Invisusira

Postby Shalcker » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:43 am

Remember, chain-spellstealing is EXTREMELY taxing to mage mana. So are blinks. And he still needs mana to do damage too. Keep pressure up and don't allow mage to drink, and eventually he'll be oom. Once it happens he is dead.

Keep up Frost Resistance aura, that'll allow you to resist some novas and damage. Also try to keep up Sacred Shield.

Use Seal of Light and Judgement of Light for extra healing, HotR/ShoR/Judgement/AS are enough for damage and extra healing is far from being insignificant since it can keep you in AD range for ages. Keep divine plea up and try to save new cds for moments when you can melee mage to refresh it if it falls off.

With dispel resistance talents, it takes awhile for mage to remove Hand of Freedom, usually somewhere around 3-6 casts if you have other buffs. So you need to keep some buffers up (blessing of might, sacred shield, righteous fury) while you have spare mana and silence him with avenger's shield when he tries to spellsteal HoF. Use HoF right after you get in Nova, that means it'll still be on CD when you catch up even if mage spellsteals it immediately. If mage blinks right after you break nova with HoF, use avenger's shield to catch up then stun. Try to only stun after blinks. Kill any elementals asap.

Cast heals ONLY if you have full mana and your Divine Plea CD is up. Two holy lights will eat about 2/3 of your mana pool, and you'll need to cancel active divine plea to do decent healing, which means that without divine plea you'll be oom after next 6-10 attack moves. You can also use Divine Shield for finishing blows even with 50% damage penalty - or use it to break sheep/nova then cancel it. Also use PVP trinket.

ShoR (mana reduction) and Avenger's Shield (extra burst) glyphs help alot.

Most of the time seal of light healing, Sacred Shield absorbs, Divine Shield, Hand of Freedom, and Avenger's Shield silence/slow win the fight. Mage doesn't have that many counters to them and is forced to constantly move, greatly diminishing his damage capabilities.

If your health is good you can also do some really annoying lockdowns with seal of justice.
Shalcker

Postby kingharbromm » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:46 am

I don't know how to describe how good he is other than he was very rarely in combat. He would blink or trinket out of anything I could throw at him. He had some amazing thing he was doing with his mirror image that would confuse the crap out of me. Half the time I didn't know where he was. :)

I would duel him with my prot warrior. I'm usually a chain stunning, spell reflecting fool. I have tons more playtime with the warrior & feel fairly confident against anyone except disc priests. This guy was very tough to take down. I only beat him about 25% of the time with the warrior & that was usually because he was completely out of CDs. It would usually take Last Stand + Enraged Regenration & Shield Wall to make it happen.

His PvP rank was Knight-Lieutenant.

Against my paladin, he was rarely hurt. A lot of times he would run around kiting me with everything he could. And he would blink away when most of my CDs were ready. He was really a good PvP player.
kingharbromm

Postby Heni » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:18 pm

If they pro since the Hand of Freedom nerf, cause before that you could kill them easy. I had one in an arena I almost killed he was low, he iceblocked when he was low, frost nova blinked away and invised and went and hid to be able to evo to get to full health and mana and came back and pwd me. Best bet go ret you'll own them. Before they nerfed Hand of Freedom for ret paladins in PvP as prot you could stay on top of the mage and kill them easy.
Heni

Previous

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes