WTB Macro Expert!

All things /script related

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, _Chloe

WTB Macro Expert!

Postby Apollya » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:01 am

So I've been thinking about this for a while, but frankly i suck at macros! So I wanted to see if anyone here was a macro expert and could shed any light on it.

Scenario: You're tanking the at Emalon - Adds or Thorim Hard Mode - Dark Rune Champions.

You have at least one add on you, when a new one spawns. At present I've found my righteous defense macro to actually be fairly effective at thorim and at Emalon i simply select manually and hand of Reckoning.

Code: Select all
#showtooltip Righteous Defense
/cast [target=mouseover,help,nodead][help,nodead][target=targettarget,help,nodead]Righteous Defense

My idea is to have a macro that targets a specifically named mob using /targetexact XYZ that will target a mob that is not currently attacking or focused on YOU.

is this at all possible using some form of "[target=mouseover,help,nodead],etc...[target =/= Player (or playername)]". As said I'm fairly useless with macros so have absolutely no idea if this is at all possible or how to go about it
Apollya

Re: WTB Macro Expert!

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:36 pm

Moved to the macro forum.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Apollya » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:54 am

Thanks for moving, I missed reading the "Macro " part of the forums >.<
Apollya

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:05 am

I don't think we've ever figured out an effective way to check to see if the target's target = player (you); if we did, it'd certainly be a staple in most people's HoP macros to prevent accidental self-hop while tanking ...

If anyone does have an idea, please share. I still owe some melee 10g for getting them killed when I hop'ed myself and not a healer ...
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby jere » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:39 am

there is no way to to check to see if you yourself is the target, but you can trick the macro system into not targetting you

The idea is:
Target some known hostile target
Target yourself or another target
Target another target or yourself (do the opposite of whatever was chosen in the previous step)
Target last target

When you target last target, there are two possible outcomes, either a friendly target or a harmful target. You can then cast according to those conditions. So for HoP you would do something like:

/stopmacro [help]
/targettarget
/target player
/targetlasttarget
/cast [help] Hand of Protection
/targetlastenemy [help]

I don't have the game handy to check syntax, but that is the general flow. Basically if you are the targettarget, then the targetlasttarget line will retarget the enemy. If the enemy's targettarget is not you, however, you the targetlasttarget line will target the person highighted by the targettarget line. You can then cast based on whether the target is [help] or not.

I do have a HoP macro that uses the above as the backbone to it and it never will HoP me. though I add some more stuff to it.

The same type of thing can be used for what the OP is asking, but I am not sure it will work on emalon because all adds are named the same. With multiple adds using the same name, you also have to incorporate rotating your screen in ways to make this work:

/target player
/targetexact bossname
/targetenemy
/targetexact bossname
/targetlasttarget
/cast [harm] spell

the first /targetexact bossname, gives you a known enemy baseline
the /targetenemy is the same thing as hitting tab on your keyboard (this is why screen position can be important)
the second /targetexact bossname is where we "try" to change to different targets.

If there was no targetable extra enemy besides the boss, then nothing happens. If there was, you will taunt it.

the trick here is if there are multiple targets, you have to get them off of your screen enough to where the /targetenemy will only pick up the one you want. I used this macro on Anetheron to pick up the adds there.

A possible simpler solution might be:
/cleartarget
/targetexact enemyname
/cast [harm, exists, nodead] spellname

Though I haven't tested that, and it still suffers from the multiple enemy problem.
jere

Return to Add-ons, UI, and Macros