Guide: Alternative Playstyles, and UI Play Options (Open)

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Re: Guide: Alternative Playstyles, and UI Play Options (Open)

Postby Kiorken » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:48 am

Ah, those are both good! I never considered a tooltip addon, and I have been meaning to mind a macro that canceled Divine Shield when pressed again, just been too lazy to add it. Never considered a new nameplate add on either, good stuff.

Playing very casually....for now.
Kiorken

Postby Arnock » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:55 pm

polpak wrote:Here's a couple I find useful

Code: Select all
#showtooltip Divine Shield
/cancelaura Divine Shield
/cast Divine Shield

Just as a note for those who might not know, that macro is used as an emergency 'debuff cleanse' sort of a macro.

I.e. on a boss like gluth, where you might have a stacking mortal strike or similar effect, and the OT goes down, one could really quickly double click that macro, and taunt the boss back to yourself

I would add in a

/cast Hand of Reckoning
after bubble to make sure that the boss doesn't go kill someone before you can take the time to hit your taunt button.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Arnock » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:12 pm

I don't personally have this (I usually do it manually) but a good macro to use when Pulling a mob might look something like this

/rw Pulling %t
/cast Hand of Reckoning
/cast Avenger's Shield

The hand of reckoning is off the GCD, and hits the target before AS, so it's nice for some even more up-front threat.

I personally have the 6 second rotation and 9 second rotation bound to 2 and 3 respectively (without a reset)

and I have My other keys bound like this
1: Avenger's Shield
Shift+E: Judgement
Shift+Q: Consecration
Shift+R: Hammer of Justice
Shift+F: Hammer of Wrath
Shift+C: Hand of Reckoning
Shift+X: Holy Shield
Shift+Space: Righteous Defense

Also: Must have paladin macro

#showtooltip Divine Shield
/cast [button:1] Divine Shield
/use [button:2] Hearthstone
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Kiorken » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:48 am

Hand of Reckoning tied into the macro is good, but, since its off the GCD, will it ever cast BEFORE you drop DS, or as long as its in the line after dropping DS, it will always be after?

Kiorken

Postby uryd » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:54 am

slipey wrote:I would like to recommend an highly useful tanking addon - ALOFT (http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info10864-AloftBeta.html). This addon lets you customize character/mob nameplates. It is extremely flexible and lets you customize the type of information you can see on the nameplates. However, the main reason I use it is so that I can easily tell which mobs I have aggro on with just a quick glance. You can configure this in the Nameplate Glow options. By default, WoW puts a glow around the target nameplate which tells your aggro level. I find this extremely hard to see, especially when tanking more that 4 mobs. With Aloft, I have configured the Nameplate glow as the bar color (there are a few other settings you need as well, but i cant remember them off the top of my head). So, when I have aggro on the mob, the nameplate bar color is red. When I dont have aggro, the nameplate bar color is yellow, and when I get close to losing aggro, the bar color is orange. This is a huge help when AOE tanking because I dont have to mouse over or tab target every mob to verify that they are indeed on me. I can quickly tell which mobs are not on me without having to do anything. I really wish I had this back in the Hyjal days.

Hey Slipey, mind giving a rundown of your settings in Aloft? I have tried it before but for some reason the nameplate glow only works on the current selected target, not the other unselected mobs. Being able to gauge your indirect threat on unselected mobs is what AOE tanking is all about and getting this to work would help a lot.

EDIT: I managed to figure it out by playing with the settings. I turned off the glow to reduce clutter and instead used the nameplate color as the threat indicator. Gave it a test run with the daily heroic today. Needless to say, I'm loving it!
uryd

Postby Discus » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:51 am

At the risk of being called a noob I'll admit to using no key bindings and no macros. Have tried them and found I can click faster, my brain just doesn't work well for keys. I know theoretically macros and key bindings are far superior, but I'm just too uncoordinated, especially with my left hand.

Not being an IT person I have also noticed outside WoW that the use of a mouse over key bindings is considered childish. But I've also noticed that only techies have the required muscle memory and coordination to use key bindings well.
Discus

Postby Koatanga » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:56 pm

Here's the Grand Secret all us techies have been hiding:

If you do the "6" macro and "9" macro and place them next to each other on your keyboard, you can roll your face over them and maintain a perfect 969 rotation. I recommend cheek or forehead for best results; the nose can hit other cooldowns and make you look like a noob.

But seriously, having them together means once I establish the rotation I can basically mash away at the two buttons simultaneously, and that will always select the one that is off cooldown. This is very useful for me, because it allows me to pay attention to lots of different things instead of looking where my mouse pointer is. For example, if I am facerolling Hodir, I have more time to look at where circles are forming on the floor, or who is creeping up the threat meter and will soon need a taunt.

On XT I can faceroll away while calling out who has light or gravity, because I literally have nothing better to do other than browse websites relating to RSI from hitting two buttons simultaneously for minutes at a time. Woot! Tantrum! Coodown time, I can branch out and hit a 3rd button! It's so exciting I miss the light/gravity call.

Not all fights are brain dead, but I hope you get the idea. I will give you a warning, though: If you have more attention-time to devote to watching the fight, you will become depressed at how many ranged DPS will stand in the fire to complete their cast.

Maybe it's better if you just don't look.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Discus » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:25 am

Yeah I'm aware it's theoretically far better and I'm opening myself up for mockery, but I've tried and end up watching the keyboard instead of the screen. Also (noob question of the year) I use my left hand for QWAEDX and right hand on mouse, do you use you left hand or right hand to click the macro keys?

This reminds me of when the IT guys visit our dpt, complain loudly that we should all be using the faster key bindings and then when they leave everyone goes back to drag and click. I think it's muscle memory, most of us have been clicking for decades and it's hard to break the habit, whereas the early childhood use of key bindings marks one out as genetically predisposed for IT :wink:
Discus

Postby Kiorken » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:53 am

Actually, I wasn't an IT guy, until the Air Force put me in this job :o

I had to learn the key bindings, and for me, I don't really keybind with my keyboard, but with my MOUSE. I use a 7 button mouse, so instead of looking at my keyboard, I feel for the buttons. I also use shift and ctrl to modify those buttons, to triple the keybind output. You really have to get used to it, and it takes practice.

My advice? Tie your keybinds to your mouse, and fight mobs under Dalaran. Spend about 30 minutes to an hour, (really, 30 minutes to an hour, not like 5 minutes and think you either got it, or want to give up). Take a port to shatt in dal, fly from shatt, and hit up Ramparts in Helfire. Just get used to the rotation. Try not to look at your keyboard, your mouse, or the skills on your action bar. If you HAVE to know what your cooldowns are, use an addon called PowerAuras. This way, it gives you a visual que on what is available. But like what was mentioned earlier, in most cases, you can macro two buttons for the 969 rotation, and just click button4, click button5, click button4, click button5....

Just spend some real time practicing, and adjusting to whats useful to you.

Kiorken

Postby Calleana » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:38 am

I really struggled learning key binds the first time round, as I'm sure a lot of people did, it is unfortunately a question of biting the bullet and just spending time practicing. And don't give up just cause you screw it up, I am forever standing the the AH scrolling with my mouse wheel and accidently activating bubblewall.

Another very helpful thing I did to open up the number of buttons available to me was to buy a n52te. Its a bit like a mouse that replaces your keyboard on your left hand side, I found it much more comfortable for key binding usage.
Calleana-Darkblade
Calleana
Maintankadonor

Previous

Return to Basic Training & Talents