Remove Advertisements

picking up the trash

Winterchill, Anetheron, Kaz'rogal, Azgalor, Archimonde

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

picking up the trash

Postby Oramac » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:10 pm

ok, i've seen a bunch of threads about which trash to tank and such, but i want to know how you pick it up to begin with?

like laying a consecrate in their path before shackles?

laying it after shacks?

exorcism/consecrate + taunt and pray?

locations and group positioning would be nice too. im gonna be going into MH as a trash tank/OT soon and while i feel confident in my abilities AFTER i pick up the trash, im not sure how to initially get em.
Aplus wrote:Yeah every time I get a big head, I go and try to solo a warlock.brings me back down to earth pretty fast
Oramac

Postby Worldie » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:29 pm

Consecration in the hall way is my favourite one.

However, if you menage to time Holy Wrath, it's even better.

Positioning is like, everyone behind me. A warrior stands ahead of me in case we have necromancers.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Oramac » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:10 pm

Worldie wrote:Consecration in the hall way is my favourite one.

Positioning is like, everyone behind me. A warrior stands ahead of me in case we have necromancers.

you do that even for multiple aboms and such?
Aplus wrote:Yeah every time I get a big head, I go and try to solo a warlock.brings me back down to earth pretty fast
Oramac

Postby Jeslena » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:13 pm

Stand behind warrior or druid, time holy wrath to go off and then start backing up. Warriors and shackles pick up whatever, then I start AE tanking whatever is left.
Jeslena

Postby Gerilith » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:54 am

a) Stay behind a HP-monster named MT-warrior
b) When aggroed, do nothing but run to a point where everything's in range
c) Cast Holy Wrath
d) walk backwards till shackles and sheeps are made
e) consecration + all the rest

That's the way I do it. If there's trouble you can still set your cons and pick up the ones heading to healers with exorcism.
Standing alone with no direction
How did I fall so far behind?
Why Am I searching for perfection?
Knowing it's something I won't find
Gerilith

Postby Lansky » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:20 am

I just consecrate on top of a warrior that stands in front of me most of the pulls. The other tanks bitch too much about pulling stuff off of me if i open with wrath and I have noticed no difference in my short term threat generation. While that sounds dumb since obviously there is less threat with no wrath our AE still opens up about 3s after we engage the mobs and don't pull off of me. We however do not shackle anything as it interferes with our AE's desire to blow everything up simultaneously in a very sloppy fashion.
Lansky

Postby Lore » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:31 am

Holy Wrath. Even on the waves with abombs. Just make sure your other tanks know to pick abombs off of you if you get any.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Worldie » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:24 am

Oramac wrote:
Worldie wrote:Consecration in the hall way is my favourite one.

you do that even for multiple aboms and such?

On waves with abominations i pop a Free Action potion as soon as they engage me. The other tanks first get the necromancers under control, then taunt abominations off me.
Usually they menage to do this before the potion expires (30 seconds)
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Oramac » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:06 pm

all good info guys! thanks a ton. if you have anything to add please do so. i want to make a good impression.
Oramac

Postby Aalryn » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:23 pm

holy wrath for the win. just make sure your behind the warriors so they get the initial "body pull agro". This way the necro's wont agro on you for the spell damage.

Cast a holy wrath and pull your bunch to the side. If you have aboms pop a free action potion and call out in vent if you have more than 2 for someone to take one off you. the 30 seconds with no knockdowns is more than enough time for a warrior to taunt an extra one off or a pali to fear one. Then just go to town.

I always suggest judging and re-sealing light. You'll have so many mobs on you that your "sor threat" on 1 mob is not needed. I have found that the extra healing from J/SoL to be very nice added healing(Seal of light heals me for an extra 90k hp on the average hyjal clear).

Just be sure to be vocal if you have too many on you and need something pulled off. Chances are your casters will be aoe-happy on top of you.. if you die, they all follow.

Oh. And grab a stack of nightmare vine & Ironskin pots... dont be cheap. Hyjal is the best place to show our worth to a raid and you'll find yourself tanking much more regularly if you perform well here.
~insert flashy signature here~

"Error: Armory link not found" ... Tankadin no more
Aalryn

Postby Aetherial » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:48 pm

I second the call for Free Action Potions... those things have saved my butt more than a few times in Hyjal, since our warriors like to taunt the feral's one abomb off first instead of one of the 3 to 4 that ends up on me. Figurine of the Colossus is also nice if you can fit it into a trinket slot.

TBH I usually end up tanking the little stuff plus 2-3 abombs regardless :shock:

You should also look into putting together a Fire Resist set for Anetheron if you haven't done already... we're great Infernal tanks, and you'll probably need the set for Illidan anyway.
Aetherial

Postby Oramac » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:08 am

well, thanks everyone for the advice! ended up tanking last night. they had already cleared most of it, so i got to try my luck with Azgalor's trash. (lol @ my gear) seems to have gone fairly well, although wave 6 was pretty crappy. i sure hope the other trash is easier than these guys.

on the bright side we got Az to 9% on our best shot and im sure we'll kill him next time. (would be ally first on my server AFAIK).

now if only i can get Rage so i can finish my BT attune. lol
Oramac

Postby Eeva » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:40 am

Azgalor's trash was the most frustrating for me. Didn't feel like Pally tank is that useful here. The first 3 boss' Trash was really fun though. I tanked in Hyjal for the first time last week. Good times, but I am exalted and now I have to respec Prot from now on for Hyjal. I cant sit out anymore :(
Eeva

Postby rozakk » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:11 am

the best part is how i get to come in for every trash wave in hyjal but then sit out for archimonde since prot paladin is useless that fight.
rozakk

Postby Parishna » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:43 am

Just had my first night actually tanking the waves last night. Holy wrath and consecrate.. pretty much game over.. One shotted Rage on our first attempt with a full raid. Seems like just enough time to pop my trinkits on every wave.. which is handy.. in case I get 2-3 abomonations on me.. I just dodge all their attacks while one or two of them are killed or picked up by a druid. Last wave threw on the healing gear.. and I was the only healer left alive at the last 6%.. not gonna lie it got ugly.. tank died so it was a little raid Pong to get that last 6% down.

First try on Anetheron was 40%, but our infernal tank had like 80 fire resist.. and we all failed at spreading out.. so I'm sure that will be easy enough when we go back in there.
Parishna

Next

Return to Mt. Hyjal