Remove Advertisements

[25] Yogg-0 in 3.2

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [25] Yogg-0 in 3.2

Postby kram » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:27 pm

Tarazed wrote:True but it does have the advantage of trivializing target assignments and pulling. On a second thought it is probably better to use 2 dps taunters and 1 hunter for the last one since there is only 1 left at that point. I was wondering if anyone tried this tactic with any success.

Right now using 3 hunters and /target macros we haven't managed to get to the second beacon yet and pulling seems really chaotic.

I don't see any difference between you using dps/ot's with target macros then hunters using target macros besides making the MTs have to throw a extra taunt to get the adds off of the dps/ot.

Theres no need to use any of the custom addons to mark the beaconed targets since 3.2 and if you're running into issues with hunters taking the same target or something I suggest you get rid of the addon and make hunters mark their target before they distracting shot them out.
kram

Postby Tarazed » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:59 pm

kram wrote:I don't see any difference between you using dps/ot's with target macros then hunters using target macros besides making the MTs have to throw a extra taunt to get the adds off of the dps/ot.

Well the difference is that distract lasts 6 seconds and so if they spam it as soon as beacons are up the guardian runs for them and then back in before empowering shadows. At least that's what they told me. This means that effectively you have to mark the mobs while they are still clumped up and then distract, and this is the thing that is not working for us.

With a dps taunt you can just spam your macro as soon as you see beacons and run away leaving only 2 to taunt. It seems more solid to me at least on paper.
Tarazed

Postby Joanadark » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:40 pm

Tarazed wrote:
kram wrote:I don't see any difference between you using dps/ot's with target macros then hunters using target macros besides making the MTs have to throw a extra taunt to get the adds off of the dps/ot.

Well the difference is that distract lasts 6 seconds and so if they spam it as soon as beacons are up the guardian runs for them and then back in before empowering shadows. At least that's what they told me. This means that effectively you have to mark the mobs while they are still clumped up and then distract, and this is the thing that is not working for us.

With a dps taunt you can just spam your macro as soon as you see beacons and run away leaving only 2 to taunt. It seems more solid to me at least on paper.

umm.....lol no.

A) your hunters are retarded. All they had to do is wait like 5 seconds before hitting thier macro. Common sense here.
B)You misunderstand how /target macros work. They select the closest target that matches the criteria. Melee using taunt macros have a greater chance of selecting the same target and failing than using hunters seperated on either sides of the pack does. Additionally, the mobs run much faster than players, so those melee will take considerable damage. Additionally, the hunter can Deterrance if the mobs is higher hp and tries to hit them, can AImed shot it to ensure MS effect is up, and then killshot it as it runs back in.
C) you are forcing your tanks to be either DKs or Paladins, because bears and warriors simply do not have the taunt cooldown to be able to keep up with new spawns as well as grab targets off of melee taunters.
D) if the same mob gets targeted by a consecutive beacon, you will be on taunt DR and wipe.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby kram » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:44 pm

Just make your hunters take distracting shot out of thier macro and just have them use a macro to /target and mark their target then they can distract 4-5 seconds before the beacon goes off.

D) if the same mob gets targeted by a consecutive beacon, you will be on taunt DR and wipe.

I'm pretty sure distracting shot is on the same DR as taunt
kram

Postby Markoh » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:08 pm

I'm not sure if it is, but the point is the agro is temp and after 6 seconds it will run back to the. The whole purpose of this is to keep the multiple taunts on as few of the mobs as possible for the off chance of taunt being on dr.

Btw we finally got this down this week (didn't really throw too many attempts a week at it for various reasons, breaks b4 toc and blizzcon). I have to say the biggest single change was going from one tank to two, dps was never an issue when we got to p3 tank getting splatted/missing adds seemed to be the larger issue. I'm not sure if it was just my complete failure as a tank, but I couldn't get every add fast enough. Either I'd have to reposistion and would get off rythem or I would have to taunt back off the dps dk who taunted the little guy and get behind. But having a druid with me helped so much, we got it in 3 attempts (one being a p2 failure) of the change.

In my opinion that was the most effective change we made, yet again this is based totally on my experience and could be just my compete failure as a tank on this fight for whatever reason. Needless to say, im glad to be done with this damn fight.
Markoh

Postby Drae » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:25 pm

Yeah, it's basically been said but the things about taunting rather than using hunters:

-It's hard enough for tanks to keep up with taunts as it is, let alone having to taunt back another 3 mobs after every beacon.
-Once the heal goes off, unless you have assigned dps on the beacons that just got healed, they're likely going to kill the person who taunted them out, unless they're all taunted back quick or your healers are somehow able to keep up with the damage on the tanks and the taunters as well.
- Once they're taunted back, if the tanks don't build enough threat on them (quite possible when it's so chaotic), then the taunters might inadvertently pull aggro again due to aoe/cleave damage.

There are things you can do to help out, namely using a BoP and salv combo on one of the taunters (or if one is a pally, bubble+salv on themself like I did when our hunter couldn't get his mob and I had to taunt).
Drae

Postby Ruull » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:51 pm

Markoh I single tank this as well can I can tell you its not a failure as a tank there's just situations that flat out suck and RNG gets you. For example if an immortal spawns on the other side of the room and takes a while to trek across then another pops in the raid there's a decent chance someone is getting killed.

I did pick up the 2 pc t9 and the 6 second taunt has made a world of difference. Anyhow grats glad to hear you guys got it, nightmare of a fight and its great when you get done with it.
Ruull, Might - Turalyon - US
Ruull

Postby Pîk » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:47 am

Finally just got this fight last night. We had been using a prot warrior and me (protadin) for all of our attempts. Biggest thing was the coordination, not dps, not gear, none of that. Pre 3.2 we had sub 5% wipes, and those were due to coordination of the immortal guardians getting pulled out for the beacons. I have to say though, wow, what a hell of a fight to tank now that I can reflect. Our kill attempt was absolutely perfect from a tanking standpoint, nobody had aggro on any adds other than me and our warrior tank.

But, personally i'm not sure I like the fact that the fight rests on the shoulders of three people pulling out adds. We wiped for over a full month on this fight due to this or that guy missing his target and not pulling out the add. Well, the stars lined up this attempt, and we killed it finally.

Anyways, for the goodies, hes a killshot: http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/ ... f0e7a5.png

Mount: http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/ ... ef211d.png

And a video from our shadow priest's PoV: http://www.wegame.com/watch/Shai_Hulud_ ... _Darkness/

So, good luck and /salute to anyone trying to get this down, its a bitch of a fight. Made me hate Ulduar :P .

- Pîk, Shai Hulud of Duskwood, US #60, World #149.
Pîk

Postby Lust » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:29 am

Congratz :) Thought I'd be able to post tonight that I'd joined the Death's Choice club, but one hunter consistently missed his pull :(

The lone dude on his wyvern in your mount screenshot made me lol.
Lust

Previous

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon