[10/25] Hodir: How often does Frozen Blow occur?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10/25] Hodir: How often does Frozen Blow occur?

Postby SevenOfNine » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:52 pm

Trying to figure out how we should setup a Taunt+CD rotation between our tanks. Just need to know how often he casts his Frozen Blow-ability. Is it once per minute, or even more often?

/7of9
SevenOfNine

Re: [10/25] Hodir: How often does Frozen Blow occur?

Postby Arigise » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:02 pm

Its ~once per minute but in actuality it tends to run closer to 70-80 seconds in my experience. Why, however, you want to swap tanks in this fight at all is a bit beyond me...
Arigise

Postby SevenOfNine » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:15 pm

Arigise wrote:Its ~once per minute but in actuality it tends to run closer to 70-80 seconds in my experience.
Thanks alot, exactly the kind of infirmation I was looking for. :)
Arigise wrote:Why, however, you want to swap tanks in this fight at all is a bit beyond me...
Aaaw, sorry, I'll try and enlighten you then: we thought that one way of doing this, was to use each tanks CD(Bubble-/Shield-wall) and/or Priests Guardian Spirit, etc.(insert any of the plethora of damagereducing stuff out there), to maximise tanksurvival during the Frozen Blow.

Is this required? I'm sure it works in a number of other ways, but we want to try it this way.

/SevenofNine
SevenOfNine

Postby Panzerdin » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:25 pm

Most people like a big fluffy druid in FR gear to just solotank it, or failing that practically anyone else to solotank it.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Auroris » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:35 pm

Just to put a flaw in this. If you have a mic and talk on vent. It's pretty simple, you can one tank this entire fight without FrR gear. I pretty much picked up after our frost tank died, and called out HoSac and PS during frozen blows. The occurence is enough if your dps is either mediocre or really good, you never have to worry. Your healers just need to be ready to heal through 15k to 20k blows opposed to his normal 10k.
"Someday the Glory will Fade and only Memories will remain."
Auroris

Postby knaughty » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:03 am

I solotank it in full frost gear. Works fine (other than threat issues with makes breaking 20k DPS).
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Tubben » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:10 am

Uhm, i allways solotank him without FostR. gear. What we do is to use CD's if available. Bubblewall/Wings/Aura Mastery. If there is nothing, we just heal through the damage.

It's rarely that i die. Unfortunally we have some braindead dd's who forget that they COULD stay by an fire to not get the debuff, or that they HAVE to move if they got the debuff. Flash Freeze? Whats that. That makes us wipe at Hodir to often.

(Same shit at Yogg P1, "oops, i think i just hit a cloud by mistake"..)
Tubben

Postby aureon » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:27 am

There's a fairly good trick you can use: requires a strong block set and either rotation CDs or a disc priest.
The point is that if you avoid/fullblock+absorb the 70% reduced melee hit, you won't get the 30k frozen blow hit.
He hits for about 3k in 10man and 4k in 25, during Frozen Blow, with demo shout even some less.
Full block gear, +armor where you can (perfect trinkets are Lavanthor's and Defender's code) and get a disc priest throwing a PW:S at the start of the Frozen Blow, and then to spam you hoping for Divine Aegis procs. CD rotation makes the thing just better.
We got it with 1 MT healer and 3 raid healers on our first kill on hodir 25, after 3-4 wipes (after two nights on thorim, where we "forgot" about CL >.<)
Oh, and don't get damned kills on 3:02 like we do.
aureon

Postby sublimated » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:39 am

Tubben wrote:Uhm, i allways solotank him without FostR. gear. What we do is to use CD's if available. Bubblewall/Wings/Aura Mastery. If there is nothing, we just heal through the damage.

It's rarely that i die. Unfortunally we have some braindead dd's who forget that they COULD stay by an fire to not get the debuff, or that they HAVE to move if they got the debuff. Flash Freeze? Whats that. That makes us wipe at Hodir to often.

I don't understand why you would solo tank it without using frost resist gear. I can basically whack on the 3 pieces of icebane + FR aura puts me at 417 frost resist and I still sit at 445 defense with thaddius' trinket on. It's just making life more difficult for your healers when you could just as easily reduce that damage by getting that gear crafted.

My two cents anyway.
sublimated

Postby Meyrinn » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:42 am

Frost gear tends to gimp your avoidance and threat. If you can do without it then its better then wearing is for just the frozen blows portion of the fight. If your dps is good you'll get 3 frozen blows at most, and we have Paladins that use Divine Sacrafice and/or Aura Mastery + Frost Aura for Frozen blows. I used to wear frost gear, when we were going for the hard mode kill because we only had 3 healers. But, now I just wear normal tanking gear and I don't need assists to keep threat. We haven't repeated our hard mode kill, but we run with 5 healers now because we don't want to swap people out for the fight and most our healers don't have DPS offspecs(at least not good ones). But, we have missed it by a dozen seconds or so.
Meyrinn

Postby kanst » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:18 am

We had a nice little progression on tanking this fight. First I tanked and we had a warrior in full FR taunt on frozen blows, then we had the warrior tank in full FR the whole time, then we had him tank with just the fr ring, now he tanks the whole fight in his threat gear.

One thing that is nice if your having issues with frozen blows is have all your pallies spec for divine guardian and switch off absorbing the frozen blow. Set up a rotation and have them bubble and pop divine guardian. Also having your healers find a column of light for frozen blows also helps. The tank should also be using some CD on each FB whether its a trinket, shield wall, last stand, whatever
kanst

Postby Belloc » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:22 pm

sublimated wrote:
Tubben wrote:Uhm, i allways solotank him without FostR. gear. What we do is to use CD's if available. Bubblewall/Wings/Aura Mastery. If there is nothing, we just heal through the damage.

I don't understand why you would solo tank it without using frost resist gear. I can basically whack on the 3 pieces of icebane + FR aura puts me at 417 frost resist and I still sit at 445 defense with thaddius' trinket on. It's just making life more difficult for your healers when you could just as easily reduce that damage by getting that gear crafted.

My two cents anyway.

Keep in mind that tanking cooldowns are at least as effective as using frost resistance, except with the benefit of higher armor, higher avoidance, and higher threat.

My guild has always used 2 pieces of frost gear, but if I were still playing, I'd change our strategy to a tanking cooldown rotation. Divine Protection on the first FB, pain suppression on the second, divine protection on the 3rd, external hand of sacrifice + bubble on the 4th, bubble 5th, etc.

A second tank on this fight is a waste of a raid spot.
Belloc

Postby mclem » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:03 am

Panzerdin wrote:Most people like a big fluffy druid in FR gear to just solotank it, or failing that practically anyone else to solotank it.

We had real problems doing that when starting out on Hodir - the druid struggled to hold threat against the buffed DPSers. We swapped to me tanking in frost res gear and - provided I'm careful - aggro's fine. I've tanked ever since
mclem

Postby Tetsuo » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:26 am

On our first attempts we tried the two tank approach and I was the MT with our other prot pally as the FR tank. Healers stuffed a switch and I tanked it with no FR till the enrage timer wiped us (first attempts so lots of people getting frozen).

Since I could solo tank it we only run with one tank on this fight and everyone else switches to a DPS spec. I wear 2 pieces of FR to not gimp my avoidance too much (and have some consideration for our healers) and I pop a trinket during the Frozen Blows phases. All is good.

We haven't tried heroic mode on this yet (and don't think we will be any time soon tbh) but if we do I'll probably run with a high block set with no FR after all this talk of negating the frozen blows by mitigating the hit entirely. Sounds interesting :D
Tetsuo

Postby Seloei » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Quite sure a fully blocked hit can still proc frozen blows FR part.
Seloei

Next

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon