[Twin Valkyrie] Preparation for Boss #4

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [Twin Valkyrie] Preparation for Boss #4

Postby Baelor » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:05 am

Honorshammer wrote:
Belloc wrote:Twin's Pact — The Twin's Pact heals for 20% of their total HP. 15 sec. cast. Begins cast after Shield of Darkness has been cast.

It's a 15 second cast. That's enough time to have one of your raiders zone out and summon a new rogue in.

But seriously, it's not an issue. We don't need an interrupt like warriors and DKs have. If you aren't bringing a class that can reliably interrupt, you're not bringing a balanced raid. It will be fine.

The 15seconds is the time to get the shield down and interrupt.

Honors, if you don't have at least 2-2.5 seconds to interrupt after the shield goes down, your DPS are most likely slacking.

I highly doubt Twin's Pact will occur more than once every 20-30 seconds anyway, otherwise all the DPS would be doing would be swapping colors and burning shields.
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Petrus » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:49 am

Here's the strategy guide I wrote for my guild:

Petrus wrote:Twin Val'kyr: Edyis Darkbane and Fjola Lightbane

All information here was taken from the Affenjungs Inc. vs. Twin Val'kyr video on Youtube and Chapter vs. Twin Val'kyr on Youtube as well as the information on MMO-Champion's Twin Val'kyr page and WoWWiki's Twin Val'kyr page.

As the fight starts, the raid is split in two and has to right click on the portals in the room to gain an "essence." Each half of the raid fights one boss or the other for the duration of the encounter. The light essence half of the raid fights Edyis Darkbane while the dark essence half fights Fjola Lightbane. The raid should be clustered together around the boss - not stacked, but not too spread out. See the video for the example of this clustering.

The essences work similarly to the polarity mechanic in Ikaruga (thank you, WoWWiki). When a player has the dark essence, they absorb dark damage and deal less damage to dark targets while doing more damage to light targets. Light essence is just the opposite: players absorb light damage, deal less damage to light targets, and deal more damage to dark targets.

Primary abilities:
1. Concentrated Darkness/Light Ball: Throughout the fight, there are black and white orbs floating throughout the room. The black orbs are concentrated darkness while the light ones are light balls. Light players cannot be near/touch the black orbs and vice versa for dark players and light orbs. The orbs move at random and simply must be dodged by players. If dark players hit/stand near exploding dark orbs, they absorb the damage and if they have absorbed enough, may gain a buff to damage. See video for examples of players dodging the orbs.
2. Shield of Darkness/Lights and Twin's Pact: Periodically during the fight, one twin will put up a shield (absorbs 250k damage) and begin a 15 second cast that heals for 20% of the Twins' HP. This must be burned through to interrupt the cast, so when the shield goes up all DPS must switch to the shielded boss to stop the heal from going off.
3. Dark/Light Vortex: Periodically during the fight, one twin will begin to cast a vortex. All players fighting the twin channeling the vortex must immediately switch essences to absorb the damage, then switch back after the cast is complete.
4. Surge of Darkness/Light: This is essentially just a damage aura that inflicts about 1500 damage every 2 seconds.
5. Twin Spike: This is an attack that increases damage taken by the tank. No other strategies even mention this or note it as being a problem; however, a third tank should probably be on hand to pick up a boss if a tank dies to this attack. The solution to this may be that the tanks have to swap bosses periodically in order not to receive too many debuffs of one type or the other.

This looks relatively simple overall - mostly tank and spank with an essence switch at the vortex. The tanks remain stationary and do not switch; however, both fight videos are the 10-man version and may not accurately reflect the situation in 25-man.
Petrus
Maintankadonor

Postby Bladeheart » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:54 pm

I just have a question for this boss...the two valk'yrs share one hp pool correct?

Would it be then be a valid method to just concentrate one?

The only time the dps would then need to switch colors is when the other twin casts shield and there would be a need to burn down the shield, and when the target they're dpsing casts vortex.
Bladeheart

Postby Steve » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:41 pm

Same deal as the other 2 PvE bosses. It's tuned too easy. The damage isn't high enough to extract a cost for any mistakes.

They come out of the gate and hop out on either side. You need the color of the orb furthest from the gate on your side of the room. So start away from the gate, grab your color, and just pick it up. There's not much else to discuss. We had people clicking to the wrong colors on vortex and they were somehow permitted to live.

This is another case where the damage just isn't punishing enough on mistakes. You can hit all kinds of the wrong color dots, grab the wrong color for vortex, and do a bad job of dps on the damage shield and still pretty much skate by with an easy win.

The reason concentrating one is sub optimal is it's risky from the standpoint of the damage shield. It's nice to have half the raid already dpsing it down from the very instant it appears.

The other reason is that strategy bunches the raid up on one spot (to be close enough to the orb to switch color quickly at need). This could cause problems since you have nobody absorbing one color of the dots, and there's likely to be much more AoE damage as people hit the wrong color dots with people bunched up.

Concentrating one would still work though.
Steve

Postby Ezharon » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:00 pm

Edit : remove kinda stupid question after a better look at previous posts... :arrow: :oops:
Last edited by Ezharon on Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
Loatr Tankadin since patch 1.9
Ezharon

Postby Dianora » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:28 pm

In normal 25 man version, these 2 bosses are a joke. Far less effort than the chaotic Faction Champions.
ImageImageImage
Dianora

Postby mclem » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:52 am

Bladeheart wrote:I just have a question for this boss...the two valk'yrs share one hp pool correct?

Would it be then be a valid method to just concentrate one?

The only time the dps would then need to switch colors is when the other twin casts shield and there would be a need to burn down the shield, and when the target they're dpsing casts vortex.

There's light and dark orbs around; same-colour orbs buff you (or the boss if it hits them), opposite-colour orbs hurt. You need a roughly even spread of colours to hoover up the orbs that are the colour you're not.
mclem

Postby Candiru » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:14 am

As a tank you can eat the vortex right? So you have

Light boss
Tank(dark)
Melee(dark)
Lightwell

Darkboss
Tank(light)
Melee(light)
Darkwell

then when either one casts vortex, the melee use the well near them, absorb it, and then go and use the other well and come back. This leaves tanks with the wrong colour if they use the well to avoid the vortex, or do you switch tanks or switch position?

I imagine for hard modes you will have to get it right :)
Candiru

Postby Anorian » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:34 am

we just lol´d through the encounter its retardly easy :(
Anorian

Postby Auroris » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:50 am

-.-' Retardedly easy bosses are retardedly easy. WIPED 5 times to Champions, frickin 2 shotted this damn thing.
"Someday the Glory will Fade and only Memories will remain."
Auroris

Postby honorshammer » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:16 am

Interupting was not near the issue I thought it would be. We split the raid in two and kept each half on its on boss. We were easily able to get the shield down. When the shield start going down, I would simply stop my rotation and let my DoTs keep aggro and do the interupt.

We did switch for Vortext. Theres a portal of each color on each side of the room so you really don't have to move that far to change colors.

I was reminded of being epically bad at dodgeball in middle school. I hit so many of the wrong colored orbs.

We one shot it.
honorshammer

Postby Dianora » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:07 am

Honorshammer wrote:Interupting was not near the issue I thought it would be. We split the raid in two and kept each half on its on boss. We were easily able to get the shield down. When the shield start going down, I would simply stop my rotation and let my DoTs keep aggro and do the interupt.

We did switch for Vortext. Theres a portal of each color on each side of the room so you really don't have to move that far to change colors.

I was reminded of being epically bad at dodgeball in middle school. I hit so many of the wrong colored orbs.

We one shot it.

our method involves keeping the boss near the inner circle. Which ever gets the shield, ALL DPS switch to that one and burn down the shield, and then proceed. As for the channel cast thinging, I went and switch color if I have the wrong one. I switch back afterward when the channeling is over.
ImageImageImage
Dianora

Postby Euphoria » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:10 am

We tanked them almost side by side. I picked up the Dark one, warrior picked up the light one. Swap to the appropriate color for vortex (you don't lose your stack by swapping colors) and then swap back after vortex is over. Popping wings while empowering light was on me pushed me to 24,000tps spike (gotta love giant shield slap crits).

Healing didn't seem to be an issue (even with twin spike up) after speaking with our healers. Our disc priest said it was easier than healing the MA on Freya+3 10man. Dps missed a few shields and we still blew them up, even with the raid going in cold.

The fight concept is awesome, I enjoyed tanking it a lot, I'd just like to see it tuned a little tighter. Especially after the Champions. We had 5-6 wipes to them and then just facerolled the twins.
Euphoria

Postby kanst » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:28 am

This fight is tuned WAY too easy. We one shot him, we didnt break a shield and a heal went off, one of our tanks died and a feral druid went bear and tanked it for 20%.

However I do find the general fight mechanics loads of fun. Also the lil orbs moving around give me something to look at while I tank.

Are other tanks trying to pick up the orbs for charges or are you letting your dps have them
kanst

Postby Drae » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:15 am

Yet another easy boss, yet another one-shot just like the rest so far. Hope the hard modes are decent.
Drae

PreviousNext

Return to T9: Argent Coliseum / Koralon