Remove Advertisements

Jan'alai - Dragonhawk Avatar

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Jan'alai - Dragonhawk Avatar

Postby Coldaan » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:41 am

Hi There!

I was assigned on our last ZA run to simply tank all of the little dragonhawks that are released by the hatcher. first all dragonhawks from one side, then, when the next hatchers spawn, the other side. the basic idea was to take the dragonhawks out of the combat as soon as possible, so healers can take care of the MT better and DPS is stronger. When the Boss enrages it is (at least for us) lethal to still have dragonhawks up.

Basically it worked alright, only problem is catching the dragonhawks, sometimes the new wave just passes me (and my consecration) and runs to a healer.

Any tips from Tankadins who've already defeated this Boss?
Coldaan

Postby Swiffer » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:38 pm

Possibly use the same tactic people use on morogrim? just heal to get threat. then consecrate to keep them from healers.
there should be plenty to heal. though I haven't done the fight myself yet.
Swiffer

Re: Jan'alai - Dragonhawk Avatar

Postby Rainge » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:41 pm

Coldaan wrote:Basically it worked alright, only problem is catching the dragonhawks, sometimes the new wave just passes me (and my consecration) and runs to a healer.

In addition to the consecrate, have you tried healing a warlock when they spawn? Haven't done the fight myself, but that little trick always seems to work for me.
Rainge

Postby Coldaan » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:01 am

yep, also thought about doing the good old "heal that warlock to grab aggro" thing, but the problem is the dragonhawks don't spawn all at the same time. first the hatcher releases 1 dragonhawk, then 2, then 4 and so on.
So Healing for Aggro might only work on the first few waves, but I can get those a lot easier with AS and maybe 1 Taunt.
Coldaan

Postby Neuron » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:33 am

A simple to understand way to do it, not necessarily the best:

First hatcher spawn, only kill one hatcher. Run to the side of the other hatcher. Ranged dps should get the other hatcher down to 30% ish. When spawns start coming, judge and use a low rank consecrate in the hall way. With ret aura and other stuff you should pick them up. Continue picking them up with AS consecrate and taunt. Once he does a port, run back to the side, avoiding bombs, and continue picking them up again. When the whole side is spawned, aoe and kill the hatcher. Then do the same for the other side on the 2nd or 3rd hatcher spawn, depending on timing. Then you have 0 hatchings for the rest of the fight and its easy as pie assuming no wierd bomb layouts.

edit: if any healer has aggro, bop them and/or have them run to you and stand in your consecrate. since you have 2-3 other healers and only really need to heal to tanks, there should not be that much healing. if people die to flame breath or bombs, that is a separate problem.
http://www.ardentdefender.com - A combat log parsing API
Neuron

Postby skellislayer » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:27 am

Do the dragonhawks have any AoE or abilities that would hit healers if they just grouped up on the pally tanking the adds?

If they caught aggro from a sec, but were standing in our consecrate, that should do the trick, no?
skellislayer

Postby fiorina » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:39 pm

they have some stacking debuff fire something, not a big deal...

We always used headless chickens tactics, we just broke all eggs, people run around with flailing hands screaming... lot's of fun
fiorina
Maintankadonor

Postby Domodios » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:34 pm

We had the boss bug out on us beyond hope or respawn but here is my tip:

Ok I noticed the ramp was a quite long "Channel" if you will, and an average consecrate will fill the void but the problem is the speed of the adds. This tip is best used if you kill one of the egg breakers and let the other one run unimpeaded to break eggs.
No this is not a Pali tip per sae, but a synergy one. Have any mass slowing class...Shaman: earthbind, Hunter, frost trap etc... put down thier slow slightly ahead of your consecrate and BAM! youv'e got aggro. They really have no ability to go around and a few tics going thru a conscrate should give you aggro. Just make sure if you do a shaman totem it's only slightly infront of where you are since you don't want it to get aggro.
Domodios

Postby Blaen99 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:20 am

Assuming you can pick them up, is it a viable strat to try to get the hatcher to hatch a large amount of eggs (Say, ~20ish mobs)?

Or does this not work?
Blaen99

Postby Bavius » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:44 am

When I attempted this fight on the PTR, the problem I had was the stacking fire debuff and then an egg landed in my lap.

I'm starting ZA for real on Sunday this week and I was wondering if simple fire resistance aura can handle the stacking debuff or if I need to have a priest keep an eye on it? OR can I just take care of it myself?

I'm assuming I'll want my locks using seed too, I did it with kind of an unorthodox group last week.
Bavius

Postby Coldaan » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:59 am

problem I ad also was:

so i finally manage to get aggro from all of those adds, and then those bombs come and i simply don't see them because of all the adds.^^
what i did was give the warri tanking the boss a symbol over the head and stand inside of him during bombing. he was pretty quick all the time in finding a safe spot.^^

Then bomb the Adds (first all from one side, then from the other side) and start decursing yourself.^^

even with 30x the debuff on myself, the flame breath wouldn't have killed me instantly, so i suggest dealing with the debuff between the add phases and after the adds are dead.

PS: i know it doesn't belong here, but how do you do this fight without a prot-paladin?^^
Coldaan

Postby Bavius » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:04 am

You could do a few adds at a time, but who has time for that? I hand pick my groups for a few AOE anyway when I get my time to shine as a prot pally.

It'll be tough taking a backseat to my OT druid buddy, but he loves it when I let him tank :)
Bavius

Postby Lore » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:53 am

Our strategy:

Attempt to break one side at a time
Fail
All eggs break
All our AOE'ers die
I slowly kill all the dragonhawks
Somehow still win
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Dorvan » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:50 am

Oh, one tip for your raid in general on this fight: during the fire orb/grenades things point you camera directly down looking overhead....it makes it much easier to find safe spots between the orbs.
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Derbish » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:31 am

We tried breaking all the eggs on one side, but it was too random. Consecrate may not tick for all of them, letting some get by, and requires more healing then really needed. Use a slowing totem or slow trap to keep them in your consecration longer.

We found that clearing half from each side worked about right. I'm going to try block gear and the block trinket from SH next time. One problem is a poorly timed bomb phase means you may get pulled out of position and may not be able to get another consecrate in time.

After clearing one side, I had over 30 fire debuffs on me. I just bubbled and canceled it to clear them in case I got picked as a target for the boss's fire breath. Much faster then trying to cleanse them all.
Derbish

Next

Return to Zul'aman