Remove Advertisements

Ardent Defender live implementation question

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Ardent Defender live implementation question

Postby Janduin » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:44 am

At some point I read somewhere on these boards that on the PTR, if the Guardian Spirit-like effect procs, you no longer get the damage reduction below 35% until the 2 minute Ardent Defender buff wears off. Did this make it to live or is the damage reduction always there, regardless of whether or not the talent has saved you from death in the last 2 minutes?
Janduin

Re: Ardent Defender live implementation question

Postby Jasari » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:21 am

You always get the DR. The 2min debuff just makes it so you can't get the guardian spirit effect.
Jasari

Postby Janduin » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:53 am

Great, thanks.
Janduin

Postby badgermonkey » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:09 am

Janduin wrote:At some point I read somewhere on these boards that on the PTR, if the Guardian Spirit-like effect procs, you no longer get the damage reduction below 35% until the 2 minute Ardent Defender buff wears off. Did this make it to live or is the damage reduction always there, regardless of whether or not the talent has saved you from death in the last 2 minutes?

The loss of it was a bug that appeared briefly on the PTR, iirc.
badgermonkey

Postby vegardhv » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:47 am

Can I hijack this thread? Thanks

We did several attempts on Mimiron yesterday, and I think I got hit by rockets a couple of times and survived thanks to ardent, but I'm not sure. Can you survive such a hit now because of ardent defender? http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=63041

regards
V
vegardhv
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:45 am

Why *are* you standing in a rocket strike? I'd be trying to save my AD proc for something a bit less avoidable than that.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby vegardhv » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:58 am

Nikachelle wrote:Why *are* you standing in a rocket strike? I'd be trying to save my AD proc for something a bit less avoidable than that.

Ah, I don't know, maybe too low graphics just don't show it good enough, or DK with army of the dead hiding the ground beneath, but also a bit out of focus at times.
vegardhv
Maintankadonor

Postby Jasari » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:06 am

Even with the lowest graphic settings and the floor being covered with stuff, Rocket Strike still puts a big ugly pillar of redness over whatever spot it's going to hit. The only valid excuse for getting hit by it now is player error (aka "I lagged").
Jasari

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:08 am

vegardhv wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:Why *are* you standing in a rocket strike? I'd be trying to save my AD proc for something a bit less avoidable than that.

Ah, I don't know, maybe too low graphics just don't show it good enough, or DK with army of the dead hiding the ground beneath, but also a bit out of focus at times.

Sorry to be so blunt, but if you're not avoiding Rocket Strikes on Mimiron, EVEN if AD saves you, you're wasting your healers mana. If the tank can't be expected to avoid a Rocket Strike, then the dps can't be either. Turn up your settings, you should not ever EVER get caught standing in that.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:48 pm

I ate a shock blast for fun on one of our Mimiron kills just for kicks, if that counts. If we don't get Firefighter this week, I'll probably eat a rocket on purpose too just to be able to say I did. :P

Y'know, before they take away our lovely green mushroom.

And yes, you can survive such an attack. As long as the AD debuff isn't activated, you can survive one attack of any size, giving you effectively infinite EH against that one attack.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby vegardhv » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:23 pm

Nikachelle wrote:
vegardhv wrote:

Sorry to be so blunt, but if you're not avoiding Rocket Strikes on Mimiron, EVEN if AD saves you, you're wasting your healers mana. If the tank can't be expected to avoid a Rocket Strike, then the dps can't be either. Turn up your settings, you should not ever EVER get caught standing in that.

I guess you must have missed what I actually asked about.

edit2: Yes, it won't ever happen again, promise :)

edit: thanks theck
vegardhv
Maintankadonor

Postby Cylan » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:13 am

I thought rocket strikes targeted melee if only there aren't enough ranged targets, or this is something associated with hard mode only?

Also, you can totally take advantage of AD to get Not So Friendly Fire (http://www.wowhead.com/?achievement=2995) without having to kite! :D
Cylan

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:21 am

Yeah, taking on Mimiron for the first time last week the only time I had to worry about Rocket Strike was if almost everyone was dead (ranged-heavy raid).

As for using AD for fun stuff on that fight... well, it turned out I was using it to survive the second Plasma Blast every attempt, so it wasn't available for other stuff. (I'm gonna give the healers a talking to before we start on him this week, and probably turn on AD announces from Tankadin. I don't think saying "I just died" while I'm still up and tanking drives the point home enough.)
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Candiru » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:32 am

I assume mimiron's rocket strikes won't damage himself, even though they damage the assault bots?

Would be a comedy way to kill him...
Candiru

Postby badgermonkey » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:03 pm

Candiru wrote:I assume mimiron's rocket strikes won't damage himself, even though they damage the assault bots?

Would be a comedy way to kill him...

They don't, he targetted his base (a melee) for us once, so I checked the log. No mention of it :(
badgermonkey

Return to Basic Training & Talents