[10] Sartharion with 3 drakes

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Sartharion with 3 drakes

Postby Belloc » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:43 am

In my experience, hunters are terrible for taunting and kiting Tenebron. On our first night of attempts at the zerg method, our hunter would taunt shot and shoot a few other shots, but Tenebron would always return to the tank when the taunt ended. This was likely a result of Seal of Vengeance (Corruption?), but I'm not entirely sure.

When I started doing the taunting myself (as ret), the add stuck to me and never left. Plus, I could bubble if the add was getting too close, and then taunt it back after dropping the bubble.

Ret pallies require swiftness potions, though. The drake will catch up to you, even with PoJ.
Belloc

Postby majiben » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:01 pm

Hunter only have a fixate, not a threat transfer is the issue.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Epimer » Thu May 21, 2009 5:24 am

Successful zerg last night. Went in at the weekend with a "whoever was online and up for it" group for a laugh, and didn't really get anywhere. I specified "melee only" for last night and we got it in 4 attempts. WWS here. The most amusing part has been the grief I'm getting from a "casuals are ruining this game!" type over at the realm community forums for this :)
Epimer

Postby spiky_porcupine » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:42 am

Hi,

My friends and I are thinking of doing 10m OS +3 this week or next week. Since I’m leading the raid, I want to make sure we understand the whole fight. We have Pally and DK tank pretty equally geared at roughly 31k HP unbuffed. We have priest and shaman healers. DPS is about 3.5k average. From what I understand, this is what’s going to happen, let me know if I miss anything:

Drake 1 lands and is killed before drake 2 lands (24k breath damage during this time)
Drake 2 lands and portal opens (36k breath at this time)
Drake 3 lands and drake 2 dies shortly after (still 36k breath before drake 2 dies, 18k breathe when drake 2 dies)
Drake 3 open portal (32k breath at this time)
Drake 3 dies, portal adds afterwards (still 32k breath)

So I have the following spell mitigation:

Divine Plea – 3%
RF – 6%
Guarded by Light – 6%
Blessing of Sanc – 3%

Total = 18%

So that means I take:

19.7k with drake 1
29.5k with drake 2 & portal
14.8k with drake 2 portal only
26.2k with drake 2 & 3 portals

Am I missing anything up top?

I understand that I need 40k HP buffed. With fort, sanc, flask, food, and imp, I think I should be there. This gives me 30k HP after HP reduction aura, or 37.5k EH with AD for the fight. So if I’m at max HP, I will never be 1 shotted in 10m OS +3? And if priest bubble is cast before the breathe, than the risk of being 1 shotted by breathe is even less? It sounds like most of the CDs need to be used when drake 2 is alive and has portal opened. I guess there’ll be 2 breathes on me during that time, so I can use hand of salv for one, and let AD proc for the other. I’m guessing there’ll still be another 2 breaths in the end that hit for 26.2k, so we will pain suppression one and bubble the other? Does that sound about right? Will I need more cds?

Last question is, will DK tank this better than a Pally?

Thanks!
Spikybunny:
Level 70 Draenai Protection Paladin
Spirestone
spiky_porcupine

Postby amh » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:58 pm

When learning the encounter I would definitely put the DK on Sartharion, simply because you take a much less of damage from the adds (block-rating is amazing here, and you probably have enough BV to fully block all the small adds). The DK is stuck with nothing but his avoidance, while you have (with the right gear) the possibility of taking less damage than a Renew would outheal. While you do lack aoe snap-threat, I still find that add-tanking on a paladin is easier than on a DK. Righteous Defense is really that good, just make sure you taunt off a specific player, not just fling it on a mob. Always sucks to turn Sarth toward the raid.

Never did try it with two tanks, but it looks like a lot of fun.

Bit too tired to work out the cooldowns needed, and whether or not AMS / AMZ vs AD would make or break your strategy. Might look into it tomorrow :)
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Belloc » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:10 am

Keep in mind that if you are able to kill the drakes that fast anyway, you might as well just zerg the encounter. You've already removed the main difficulty of the fight (cooldown rotation on the tank), so you might as well go all the way and cheese it entirely.

Also keep in mind that a good DK can pretty much tank AND kill all of the adds by himself, through the use of his AOE's and Pestilence.

edit: If you do insist on doing the fight properly, I salute you. It feels more rewarding to complete it the intended way.
Belloc

Postby Loras » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:12 am

Belloc wrote:It feels more rewarding to complete it the intended way.

Not when you're 2 tiers above the content, though :(
Loras

Previous

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon