White hit = good. Right?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

White hit = good. Right?

Postby Failuhdin » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:52 am

Hey all:

I've noticed lately that my gear has a LOT of hit on it; I have 394 rating. Is there a certain amount of hit rating or % hit in which hit becomes insignificant? Is it the auto-attack cap? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the auto-attack (white) hit cap = 886 hit rating without Draenei in your party.

Thanks guys =].
Failuhdin

Re: White hit = good. Right?

Postby Dobbelsteen » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:14 am

8% is the hitcap, which is around 263 rating iirc (don't take my word for it, just check how mcuh % it says on your character sheet)
If you're a draenei, it's only 7%, so I'm guessing you're way over it and can afford to drop some.
Dobbelsteen

Postby Gamingdevil » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:09 am

I think 886 is the cap when you're dual wielding, but nobody even tries to go for that.
If it is weak, kill it before it gets stronger. If it is strong, weaken it.
Gamingdevil

Postby Koatanga » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:48 am

Gamingdevil wrote:I think 886 is the cap when you're dual wielding, but nobody even tries to go for that.

Particularly not Paladins, for some strange reason... ;)
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Viycktor » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:20 pm

Koatanga wrote:
Gamingdevil wrote:I think 886 is the cap when you're dual wielding, but nobody even tries to go for that.

Particularly not Paladins, for some strange reason... ;)

What about those of us dual-wielding shields?
Viycktor

Postby Failuhdin » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:02 pm

Bah! My main's a rogue. Hence why I restrict my posts to basic training. :D
Failuhdin

Postby Failuhdin » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:47 pm

Is there any need to worry about spell hit? Or is this caster concern only?
Failuhdin

Postby Arcand » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:56 pm

I have no clue how that works now. I've heard that spells are still 17% base miss vs. raid bosses, that they're down to 9% and you can't get lower than 1% miss, that the base is 8% and you can get to 0% miss...eh. If a subject-matter expert wants to lay down the grand unified theory of hit, I'll probably sticky it.

I've had Righteous Defense resisted while using the RD glyph, which is hard to explain if spells have base 8% miss.
Arcand

Postby Failuhdin » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:21 pm

Arcand wrote:I have no clue how that works now. I've heard that spells are still 17% base miss vs. raid bosses, that they're down to 9% and you can't get lower than 1% miss, that the base is 8% and you can get to 0% miss...eh. If a subject-matter expert wants to lay down the grand unified theory of hit, I'll probably sticky it.

I've had Righteous Defense resisted while using the RD glyph, which is hard to explain if spells have base 8% miss.

That would be awesome. There's a sticky on the rogue forums about hit, but that's dual-wielding. Hit can be a very confusing stat for caster/melee hybrids especially, since spell hit and melee hit formulas are entirely different. Even for us rogues, we have 3 hit milestones: special hit, poison (spell) hit, and white hit.
Failuhdin

Postby Arcand » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:14 pm

Did I just volunteer for the job? Damn.
Arcand

Postby theckhd » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:26 pm

Arcand wrote:I have no clue how that works now. I've heard that spells are still 17% base miss vs. raid bosses, that they're down to 9% and you can't get lower than 1% miss, that the base is 8% and you can get to 0% miss...eh. If a subject-matter expert wants to lay down the grand unified theory of hit, I'll probably sticky it.

Righteous Defense and Hand of Reckoning are both considered spells, and both use the spell hit cap (17% for raid bosses).

Spells are in general 17% base miss vs. a raid boss. There's no minimum miss% anymore, you can reduce it to 0% with enough hit rating (this is a change from BC, where there was a minimum 1% miss for all spells).

For the OP: You should really only worry about the melee hit cap, which is 8% or 263 hit rating. After that, hit loses the majority of it's usefulness to us. The only thing you might want more hit for is taunts, but in that case you're better off using the 8% RD glyph and shedding the extra hit rating for something more useful.

Arcand, I'll try and get around to writing up a "grand unified theory of hit" with links to source material in the next week or two, if you want one (and if nobody beats me to it).
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Arcand » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:04 am

theckhd wrote:Arcand, I'll try and get around to writing up a "grand unified theory of hit" with links to source material in the next week or two, if you want one (and if nobody beats me to it).

Gratefully accepted. Please let me know if I can help; I'd write the thing myself if you felt like pointing me at some source material you deem trustworthy.
Arcand

Postby theckhd » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:09 pm

Arcand wrote:Gratefully accepted. Please let me know if I can help; I'd write the thing myself if you felt like pointing me at some source material you deem trustworthy.

I actually sat down and wrote the bulk of it Friday afternoon. I need some time to edit and revise it though. While thinking about it Thursday night I got it into my head that it would be nice to have a "Basic Training 101" Series that outlined beginner tanking theorycraft concepts. After editing, what I hashed out Friday should turn out to be about three entries in the series that cover the attack table, our abilities, and how hit and expertise effect them.

I'll PM you with more details some time tomorrow or Monday.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Return to Basic Training & Talents