[25] I Choose You, Steelbreaker

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [25] IC Hard Mode

Postby moduspwnens » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:01 pm

kanst wrote:We kill runemaster first, then the spinny dude, the obviously the big dude. I tank Steelbreaker by the door, I cleanse fusion punch myself and avoid the rune of powers.

Looks good so far.

kanst wrote:-First odd observation, if he is in a rune and starts casting fusion punch, if I run away sometimes he smacks a random caster.

This happens and must be worked around. Just don't tank him with anyone else in melee range while Runemaster is up.

kanst wrote:The first phase is no issue, in the second phase we group up and tank Steelbreaker and the other dude back to back about 10-15 yards apart, ranged stand on my head in melee range of steelbrekaer, we split 3 hunters out away from the raid to absorb the nature debuff.
-Is there a class that would be better at soaking this?
-How many healers should be watching those people?
-Do you split them all to one side or spread on both sides of the bosses?

We tank them on top of each other. This means that our soakers are the only ones soaking. The only downside to this strategy is that this means I (the guy tanking Steelbreaker) will be taking Overloads. This, by itself, is trivial, but the Overload knocks you down for a second or two, which can be deadly. We have to have a backup Cleanser and a healer dedicated to keeping me alive just during that window. Usually it's nothing, but if RNG hands me a Fusion Punch > Overload > Unavoidable hit, we need something more. That's why we assign a different person for each time that COULD happen (and it could happen with each overload, which is twice). The first one is usually a Holy Paladin bubbling through the Overload to heal me and I think the second is usually a Guardian Spirit or something.

To get to your questions, though, I'm not sure. I think we use any ranged with (some benchmark) health. We spread them around both sides of the boss and just have a set positioning for tanks and melee. I'm not sure how many healers should be watching them, but it if I understand fight mechanics properly, the damage should be fairly easy to predict. They'll get hit for X amount, need an immediate heal, and then some extra healing through his pulses (which are strengthened some by the debuff).

kanst wrote:When the second guy is getting low, our warrior taunts steelbreaker and I cleanse fusion punch off him, when he dies the other warrior taunts and I do the same.
-How hard should fusion punch hit with 1 tank dead? We had our second tank eat a 48k fusion punch, I browsed the wws and it didnt seem like he had the nature debuff

It shouldn't hit that hard, I don't think. Someone else may have died (+25% damage) and you missed it. Fusion Punch is 35k damage before any mitigation. If he's last, he's received two +25% damage buffs from the deaths of the other two bosses. If he's on the second tank, he's received another +25% from a death in the raid. That brings the total to 68359 damage. A Warrior has 10% flat DR and (iirc) 6% magical DR. You (a Prot Paladin) are also in the raid, so he should have BoSanc (3%). According to WoWWiki, it takes 83 NR to mitigate a guaranteed 15% and 166 to mitigate a guaranteed 30%. NR totem is probably all you have and it's 130, so that's a guaranteed 15%. That'll bring it to...

Hmph. 47683 damage, which is about what you said. I know I require no cooldowns at all for tanking him first, and my OT (a Warrior) always tanks him second. He may pop Shield Wall for one and Last Stand for the other. I know for sure that as the third tank, I survive Fusion Punches with less than 5% of my HP with only the 20% DR from HoSalv (and normal raid buffs), so the second tank should be able to survive Fusion Punches with virtually any cooldown.

kanst wrote:I taunt third and pop my cooldowns on the taunt, this is where it gets nasty.
-Do you chain cooldowns on the third tank, steelbreaker hits really hard at this pt
-What do you do about raid healing, that dot seems to hit really hard at this point

Raid healing was never an issue for us, because as I said above, it's fairly consistent. Your raid healers are likely just losing concentration due to the intense healing needed on the tank.

As the third tank, I am absolutely chaining cooldowns. Because of the timing of the Fusion Punches to the Meltdown, it may or may not be the case that I start out tanking with a Fusion Punch. Regardless, I believe I've died to even high-end normal swings when I have no cooldowns as third tank, so I start out with Divine Protection on the taunt. It lasts twelve seconds and my Priest asks that I announce when two seconds remain on it so that he has time to drop Pain Suppression. It lasts only 8 seconds, so as it runs out I pop HoSalv (glyphed) and call for HoSac from some other Paladin that's not soaking. Either he's dead by the end of it or that's a wipe because 12+8+10 is 30 and that's how long it is until I blow up. "Chaining cooldowns" always gave me the impression that I'm somehow keeping them up for a long time, but realistically I guess covering 30 seconds is as simple as my own cooldowns and a Pain Suppression.

Just for fun, using the same math as above:
35,000 x 1.25 (Runemaster dead) x1.25 (Stormcaller dead) x 1.25 (First tank dead) x 1.25 (Second tank dead) = 85449 damage
85449 x 0.94 (Imp RF) x 0.97 (BoSanc) x 0.97 (Renewed Hope, it stacks) x 0.97 (Shield of the Templar) x 0.94 (Guarded by the Light) x 0.85 (NR Totem) = 58573

I'm not really sure what I have fully raid buffed, but that means the 20% DR from HoSalv would bring it to 46858, which is probably (as I said) under 5% of my total health. Pretty scary.

kanst wrote:And some general questions:
-How many tanks/healers do you use?

We use two tanks. I'm the first and third for Steelbreaker. I get Battle-rezzed and LoH if I have it to avoid a gib. We have DK tank Brundir in P1. It was brought up in another thread, but we use four healers, I believe.

kanst wrote:-Are there healers who are better at this fight then others?

I'd say Disc Priest if only because I highly recommend at least one Pain Suppression. As usual, Holy Priests and Resto Druids are probably good for raid healing and Holy Paladins and Disc Priests are probably good for the tanks.

kanst wrote:-How many tank deaths should we have on a good kill?

Two. I've seen strats (Worldie's) that involve three and a monster Druid as fourth tank (0.o).

kanst wrote:-When do you heros?

You mean Bloodlust? ;) We use that as soon as everyone switches to Steelbreaker.

kanst wrote:-How do you divide your healers between the different jobs?

I'm sorry but I won't be much help here. I'm not in the raid leading role, so I don't organize or pay attention to who heals what.

kanst wrote:Thanks for any help you can give, this fight is frustrating me, we spend 5 minutes going through phase 1 and 2 perfect and then fail on phase 3 and its getting demoralizing.

This fight is specifically terrible during progression because it has the added frustration of having few people with difficult roles, and those roles being very unfriendly to mistakes. I know I liked it because it was kind of fun in that what I did had a major role in the raid's success (heck, that's why DPS bores me so much and tanking is so fun). However, it was painful in that if you use our setup (2 tanks, 4 healers), that means that your raid's success mainly hinges on only 6 people performing some fairly difficult tasks. I got the feeling that my raid thought I was retarded because I was so often the cause of our wipes, but in reality it's not because I sucked (I hope, heh), it's because the strategy means there's a massive amount of responsibility placed on a tiny fraction of your raid. The rest of the raid just does the same thing every time, hoping that small fraction doesn't mess up.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby moduspwnens » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:02 pm

...and once again I go typing away and end up with a dissertation. I hope it helps. Feel free to move this whole thread into that other thread if necessary.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby kanst » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:19 pm

I dont mind walls of text, thanks for the advice, we had been running 3 tanks and 5 healers I think which may explain why we were taking until 3 tank deaths to get low.

And i fully concur on the stress. If i was to describe the fight its like 20 seconds of me sitting doing very little, then 2 GCDs that if i screw up we wipe, then back to doing nothing.
kanst

Postby Worldie » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:34 pm

Just so you know modus, the buffs stack additively, not multiplicatively . 1.25 from first add dead + 1.25 from second add dead = 1.50 (then 1.75 on first tank death, 2.00, 2.25 etc)
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Belloc » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:32 pm

Shadow priests are supposed to be pretty good at soaking the nature aoes.
Belloc

Postby moduspwnens » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:00 pm

Worldie wrote:Just so you know modus, the buffs stack additively, not multiplicatively . 1.25 from first add dead + 1.25 from second add dead = 1.50 (then 1.75 on first tank death, 2.00, 2.25 etc)

Welp, good to know.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Re: [25] I Choose You, Steelbreaker

Postby Arees » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:24 am

My guild is going to try this soon and I have a question about how melt armor works with the new AD. Lets say I'm the first tank, I "die" but AD procs and saves me. What happens?
Arees

Postby Noravis » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:36 am

It just kills you.
Noravis

Postby Treck » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:01 pm

WATERBOYsh wrote:My guild is going to try this soon and I have a question about how melt armor works with the new AD. Lets say I'm the first tank, I "die" but AD procs and saves me. What happens?

It saves you just as much as a Guardian spirit does, not a tiny bit.
Treck

Postby Avengeance » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:06 pm

You cant avoid the death caused by Melt down, you just have to get combat ressed/soulstoned (assuming you run 2 tanks).
Avengeance of Boulderfist-EU
Guild Master of High Tempest
Avengeance

Previous

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon