[Ret-PvE] Engineering is Epic Win

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Ret-PvE] Engineering is Epic Win

Postby Baelor » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:41 am

You know how much I love Nitro Boosts being better than Icewalker and +32 AP with enough hit? A lot. Especially since I get the sprint ability that I've always wanted.

Forced to have some time-off-target and SoV Holy Vengeance stacks about to fall off? Rocket boots back in there, soldier! Whack that boss again!
Running back after a wipe? Get there quicker!
Squeezed by Yogg-Saron right before a brain portal? Bubble out and rocket to the portal your allies left up on the other side of the tentacle-beast!
Next target all the way across the room? Blaze there faster than fast!

I love my rocket boots.

The hyperspeeds aren't half bad for getting stacks up a bit quicker, either. Yay engineering!
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Re: [Ret-PvE] Engineering is Epic Win

Postby andx » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:13 am

haha sounds like a great time too. I may switch. Trying to figure out JC/BS or JC/ENG
Maybe I just have a disease or an addiction to tanking, my gf says I'm a masochist I say I like it rough, either way I'm a tank and I can't escape it.
andx

Postby Baelor » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:32 am

The Parachute Cloak saved me from having to worry about the 2 second Tears duration vs Archimonde. The Flexweave Underlay saves me from needing enchanting materials for new cloaks AND fall damage.

The Pyro-rocket is still good for PvP - ranged attack that you can open with while closing the distance.

Jeeves rocks. So does MOLL-E.

All you folks who swapped out of engineering - nyah nyah you're missing good times.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Marwan » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:53 am

Yup, I haven't been this excited about Engineering since the awesome 1.0 version of the tanking goggles and the ROFLcopter was new and shiny.
Marwan

Postby Dragonzbane » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:11 am

I am going to have to put some thought into things now.
I've been using the Pyro-Rockets because "according to RAWR" they have had better DPS output than the Accelerators.
Now with the ramp-up on SoV, Hyperspeed might be the way to go.

Any thoughts on that decision guys?

All I need now if for Jeeves to actually drop for me.
Dragonzbane

Postby Elsie » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:13 am

You missed the northrend wormhole generator! And the other various transposition devices.
Elsie

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:18 am

I love engineering. So much that I feel lesser on my characters with some OTHER profession. Those nooby ones that aren't engineering. Between Wormholing to instance portals, parachuting down from knock-ups, bombs for extra aoe threat and add pick-ups, and rocket boots for quicker round em' up n consecrate, I dunno what I'd do as a Tankadin without my engineering. Don't have a real ret set yet, but if I ever get around to making one, the glove enchants are gonna be PEWPEWOP! My Nitro boosts are on my Ret boots. I just swap them in. Still uncrittable with them on.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:27 am

After killing yogg this weekend, and seeing how nice the rocket boots are to get into the brain room, I'm TOTALLY changing to them when I log on tonight.

Flexweave will be going on my cloak, I've just been lazy and not put it on their yet.

Is the Hyper=speed really that good? I haven't tried it, I just always went with the... "I hate having another button to hit" idea on them.
Shoju

Postby Baelor » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:31 am

@Dragonzbane
I've used both, I don't know if it makes a difference. I use the Accelerators out of intuition, not because of Rawr or spreadsheet data. More haste = more auto-attacks = less time to stack the HV debuff. In a world where target switching happens and I spend some time off target, I want that next auto-swing to happen sooner. Not every fight is stand-and-thwack away.

@Elsie
K3 is the place to be, natch.

@Shoju
I macro the glove enchant usage into my Crusader Strike. That way I use it on initial engage to get the stacks up quicker and then every 45-50 seconds there-after to get maximum use.
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Shoju » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:32 am

I will have to do try macro-ing it in. I will have to go back and shutoff error voice messages or whatever it's called, as I seem to be in the minority of people who play with sound on.
Shoju

Postby andx » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:37 am

Shoju wrote:I will have to do try macro-ing it in. I will have to go back and shutoff error voice messages or whatever it's called, as I seem to be in the minority of people who play with sound on.

My character nags too much... I took away her talking privileges.
Maybe I just have a disease or an addiction to tanking, my gf says I'm a masochist I say I like it rough, either way I'm a tank and I can't escape it.
andx

Postby Joanadark » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:28 am

Dont forget Grenades.
AOE damage that you can use while moving and is off the GCD. Great for helping with Empowering Shadows on yog.

And yeah, rocket boots cannot be underestimated in PvE value on anything that isn't a stand-and-burn. I've been sorely tempted to PL engineering in place of jewelcrafting.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Baelor » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:50 am

Joanadark wrote:Dont forget Grenades.
AOE damage that you can use while moving and is off the GCD. Great for helping with Empowering Shadows on yog.

And yeah, rocket boots cannot be underestimated in PvE value on anything that isn't a stand-and-burn. I've been sorely tempted to PL engineering in place of jewelcrafting.

JD, I highly recommend it. I used my 3-minute sprint cooldown quite a bit in the past week. Increased time-on-target is tasty.

I keep forgetting to use my grenades. I've got the frag belt tinkered onto my main belt but I never trigger it. Thanks for the reminder, I'm going to put my belt use on my bar somewhere. I didn't realize they were off the GCD though - nice. When I did remember to use them, I was waiting for holes in my rotation to pop them in.

Anyone know if the frag belt and common-use frag bombs/grenades share a cooldown?
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:59 am

Shoju wrote:I will have to do try macro-ing it in. I will have to go back and shutoff error voice messages or whatever it's called, as I seem to be in the minority of people who play with sound on.

#showtooltip Crusader Strike
/console Sound_EnableSFX 0
/use 10
/console Sound_EnableSFX 1
/cast Crusader Strike
/startattack

This is an edit of a macro I use on my shaman to pop CDs when he Lava Lashes. It should pop your gloves when you Crusader Strike without giving you an error message if the Accelerators aren't up.

@Baelor, the Frag Belt and the Saronite bombs share a 1m cooldown.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby glorfindell » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:11 pm

I use a similar macro for my Accelerators, but I haven't tinkered the frag belt on either my prot or ret set yet. Does the tinker stack with the blacksmithing belt buckle? If it does, and since the grenade is off the GCD, could I macro the frag belt to DS and HotR in a similar way?

Edit: nvm, 6 minute cooldown on the belt kills that idea. :P
Last edited by glorfindell on Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glorfindell

Next

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes