Remove Advertisements

Advice on res gear for Hydross add tanking

Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Advice on res gear for Hydross add tanking

Postby Omidin » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:03 pm

Here's my profile:
http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... d&n=Omidin

I'm supposed to be tanking Hydross adds this week and I'm looking into getting res gear crafted. I've come up with the following:

Frost Res
The Frozen Eye - 35
Frost Wolf Insignia - 10
Iceguard Breastplate - 60
Iceguard Helm - 50 + 20(Heard Enchant)
Flask - 25
Racial - 5

Total: 205

Nature Res
Pendant of Withering - 30
Wildguard Leggings - 60
<Random green NR ring as I'm not exalted with Cenarion for the epic one> - ???
Flask -25
Aura - 70
Racial - 5

Total: 190+???

The problem is that I'll end up with 426 or so defense, which is quite bad...

Whats an acceptable amount of +res to tank 2 adds on hydross? Is +490 def a must?
Omidin

Postby Worldie » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:11 pm

If you tank adds you can go even without resist.

I've tried both things:
- Tanking adds with 250ish of both resists and then defence on even less than 400. Worked.
- Tanking adds in full tanking set, with 0 resists. Worked even better.
I never tank more than 2 adds actually since we aee fine with tanks. To tank 4 at once i'd strongly suggest to priorize defence over resists.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby sissylala » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:14 pm

i tank it in 175 resist each. i have no issues with it but i also need to have 400 spell damage to hold aggro on some of our arcane mages.
sissylala

Postby adese » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:35 am

You can use a Flask of Chromatic Wonder instead of the old +25 resist flask to give you +10 more resist. This one also gives +18 to all stats, which is a nice health boost as well.
adese

Postby Conneur » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:50 am

I sit at 225 NR and 200 FrR (work has kept me from matting up a Pendant of Thawing to up FrR to 230) when I tank the adds. My def with this gear sits around 450ish and my spell damage is still up in the 400+ range.

We have two add tanks, myself and a feral druid. The feral tanks one add each phase, and I tank the other 3.

Once I learned where to preposition myself right before each phase started, it got really easy to pick up 3 adds (if i miss one, the druid snags it fast and brings it back to me if my RD is resisted) while the druid snagged the other, then dps aoe's them about 1 second after aggro is gained.
Ensuring the loss of the maiden's virtue.
Conneur

Postby Conneur » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:52 am

I sit at 225 NR and 200 FrR (work has kept me from matting up a Pendant of Thawing to up FrR to 230) when I tank the adds. My def with this gear sits around 450ish and my spell damage is still up in the 400+ range.

We have two add tanks, myself and a feral druid. The feral tanks one add each phase, and I tank the other 3.

Once I learned where to preposition myself right before each phase started, it got really easy to pick up 3 adds (if i miss one, the druid snags it fast and brings it back to me if my RD is resisted) while the druid snagged the other, then dps aoe's them about 1 second after aggro is gained.
Ensuring the loss of the maiden's virtue.
Conneur

Postby Atlas » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:14 pm

How are you reaching 400+ spell damage? I checked out your armory and you're at 251 with full tanking gear. I know JotC places a lot of +spell on a target but I'm assuming you don't have it judged on most of the adds.
Atlas

Postby Lorath » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:02 pm

Flask 70-80, oil 42, food 23 - that's what's missing ;)
Lorath, Human 80 Swedish Viking Tankadin, EU Bloodhoof
www.kingsandaces.eu
Lorath

Postby Daeren » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:51 am

322 frost and 227 nature res.

DOn't care about spell damage other than my weapon and non.resistance-pieces.
Daeren

Postby Atlas » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:01 pm

Lorath wrote:Flask 70-80, oil 42, food 23 - that's what's missing ;)

Alright makes sense. :)
Atlas

Postby Cimzar » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:36 pm

It is not your sole responsibility to get the 'required' resist gear. You should also have a shaman or hunter in your party for the nature resist, plus your own frost resist, plus the chromatic flask. All of that, plus a drood Mark, means you really only need about 60-70 of each resist to do just fine. Normal tanking gear with a few pieces swapped out is more important than stacking a bunch of resist gear, in my experience.
<3 Bram
The enemy outnumber us a paltry three to one, good odds for any Paladin!
Cimzar

Postby jere » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:49 pm

Cimzar wrote:All of that, plus a drood Mark, means you really only need about 60-70 of each resist to do just fine.

Druid's MotW doesn't stack with resist auras, whether they are hunter, shaman, or paladin. It gets overwritten by the better auras.
jere

Postby Cimzar » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:50 pm

jere wrote:Druid's MotW doesn't stack with resist auras, whether they are hunter, shaman, or paladin. It gets overwritten by the better auras.

Bah, that's true. Still only need about 60-70 of each, and even that is debatable. A lot of tanks don't even use resist gear for the fight.
<3 Bram
The enemy outnumber us a paltry three to one, good odds for any Paladin!
Cimzar

Postby Zhelari » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:25 am

We downed Hydross last night for our first kill. Our MT went nuts about resist gears and made all of the OT's make resist sets. They wouldn't listen to me so whatever.

Anywho, I wore my resist set for our first ever pull to gauge damage. Once I saw what they were hitting me for, I swapped into normal tanking gear and never looked back. We killed him on our third attempt and had zero issues healing OT's.

We used all of the tanks to pick up an add, since we had enough there. I did tank 2 at one time and was still easily healed. I'm sitting at 21k buffed though, so that may have helped.

We had an extra healer because we were short on people. We killed him at 10:01. 1 second into enrage. :P It was definitely a fun night!
Zhelari - 70 BE Tankadin - Skullcrusher (US)
Zhelari

Postby Antagonizing » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:13 am

Right now I'm tanking all 4 adds with a druid helping pick up any that get away initially. I go in there with 253 Nature and 255 Frost resist (almost all green resist gear plus a crafted necklace and rings, some leatherworking kits, frost aura, and nature resist aura.) I think my defense skill ends up being around 400, which makes me crittable. Usually a resto druid will throw hots up while my main healer is a priest, and they said the healing was fine.

I haven't tried it without resist gear... I think I'd be around 18-19k buffed for that fight in normal tanking stuff (as opposed to about 16k buffed with resist gear), but I'm really hesitant to try it a different way because we're doing well the way things are.
Sanity is not statistical.
-George Orwell
Antagonizing

Next

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern