Judegment of Light or Wisdom for tanking

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Judegment of Light or Wisdom for tanking

Postby Angeltank » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:04 pm

Which Judegment is better for tanking? Light or Wisdom? I personally use Light but others told me Wisdom is better thanks :3
Image.。.:*・ミ★ - Angel Tank ★彡.。.:*・Image
Angeltank

Re: Judegment of Light or Wisdom for tanking

Postby Spectrum » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:12 pm

Light is good for health, e.g. when you want to stay alive against weak enemies without putting pressure on healers such as when off tanking.

Wisdom is good if you're running out of mana. If you are running out of mana and you have Divine Plea and Spiritual Attunement then you're doing something wrong. I haven't used Seal of Wisdom in months.

Vengeance or Righteousness for threat. You'll use these almost all the time. Vengeance is best most of the time. Righteousness is better if you need a little extra threat up-front such as on short-lived trash.
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:03 pm

I think the OP is asking about Judgements, not seals.

The answer is to use whatever you prefer, or whatever your raid needs you to. Which Judgement you use has no effect on your threat output, but having mana return or health return can be helpful. In a raid with 2 or more paladins, just coordinate with the other one so that you keep both debuffs up.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Koatanga » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:12 pm

I generally judge wisdom, because Holy paladins almost always judge light to boost healing numbers, and Ret paladins judge Light because theirs gives the greatest benefit.

If I judge wisdom, nobody overwrites my judgement.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby sanguineraven » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:44 am

In 3.2, your haste debuff from Judgements of the Just no longer gets overwritten. Judgement of Light also provides equal output regardless of which Paladin judged it. This means as long as you keep Light + Wisdom up in raids it doesn't matter.

If we are talking about having only one judgement available, in a 5man I usually judge wisdom simply because I find myself occasionally short of mana (1/2 SA, Ulduar25 gear so I mostly rely on Sanctuary + DP) on the odd time I'm not chain pulling.

In a raid, if I am the only Paladin I always judge Light unless people find their mana is tight (no replenishment for example). The extra healing is usually far more useful than spare mana (again - assuming no one struggles).
sanguineraven

Postby Makaijin » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:50 am

Like those mentioned above already, just use 1 depending on the situation. Either of them doesn't really affect your threat output. Generally I judge wisdom as most mana based DPSers appreciate the mana returns more. Light is prefered when the extra healing is needed for the extra push, but not for yourself, but rather for raid healing. The healers will thank you for judging light for bosses like Steelbreaker and Hodir because of their raid wide DoT and constant steady unavoidable raid damage.
Makaijin

Postby kanst » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:07 am

Currently, light heals for more if a ret puts it up. So the ret should do light, your the only other pally who can guarantee 100% uptime so judge wis. If you dont have a ret pally judge light. Judgement of light is retardedly OP on live atm. On fights like thorim hard, our ret pally judging light can end up as the 2nd or 3rd highest healer, its just a ridiculous amount of healing
kanst

Postby DisRuptive1 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:02 pm

I heard that the best guilds in the world make sure to always keep up wisdom on the boss. If you're the only paladin that isn't holy, then judge wisdom. If wisdom is covered by another prot/ret paladin, then go ahead and judge light for the health bonuses.

It is true that the judgement debuff no longer gets overwritten anymore, only the judgement itself. When you apply the judgement to a mob/boss, you'll see the debuff pop up shortly afterwards, but not at the same time you judged.
DisRuptive1

Postby theckhd » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:27 am

DisRuptive1 wrote:I heard that the best guilds in the world make sure to always keep up wisdom on the boss. If you're the only paladin that isn't holy, then judge wisdom. If wisdom is covered by another prot/ret paladin, then go ahead and judge light for the health bonuses.

It is true that the judgement debuff no longer gets overwritten anymore, only the judgement itself. When you apply the judgement to a mob/boss, you'll see the debuff pop up shortly afterwards, but not at the same time you judged.

It should be noted that this advice is situational as well. Wisdom is a powerful debuff to keep up, but it's not always the best choice if you're the only paladin in a raid. Certain fights that have lots of AoE damage would be better-served with Light, as it can out-heal some of the healers. XT and Hodir are prime examples of this. Vezax as well, since Wisdom is useless there and the extra healing will help conserve the healers' mana.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Worldie » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:30 pm

Now that who judges what doesnt matter, i had some chat about this with our Paladin officer (which plays retri).

We came to the conclusion that the Holys can judge wtf they like, i'll take Light and he will take Wisdom.

Light is generally a more powerful debuff than Wisdom, because WotLK is basically an AoEfeast and it produces fairly huge HPS even after the "nerf". Wisdom, while needed for a few classes, is less required, so it's not a problem if the retri dies / has to move from fire / has to target switch and can't provide JoW.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby bub64882 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:20 pm

This may be discussed elsewhere, but since 3.2, are you able to keep two judgements up on a mob? I was the only paladin in H TOC 5 man last night, judged wisdom on a boss, then 9 seconds later judged Light. Both Debuff icons appeared on the boss.

I have Judgement of the Just and that ret talent that increases crit chance on mob.

Maybe just a graphical glitch?
bub64882

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:52 pm

Judgements of the Just uses the JoL debuff icon.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby bub64882 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:26 pm

Doh! Thanks.
bub64882

Return to Basic Training & Talents