Heroic Mana Tombs last boss. How the f*** do you kill him??

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Heroic Mana Tombs last boss. How the f*** do you kill him??

Postby Nathanniel » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:10 pm

I must be the unluckiest guy on earth. At least when I'm trying to complete Heroic Mana Tombs. I can easily do the instance until the trash before the final boss, but the fact is people start getting out of the run because they have other things to do, or something came up, or they have a raid, etc etc etc.

It ALWAYS happens when I'm doing this instance and this instance in particular. Unfortunetely, for me, I've stuck up the idea that I want the Fel Barrier from the last boss.

Then, on some few, rare ocasions I do get to Shaffar and I wipe. A lot.

So, to those of you who have done the instance successfuly before I wanna ask: how do you kill this guy on heroic?
Nathanniel

Postby Araveni » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:19 pm

I've only done it once and the group looked like this:

Me(tank of course), Undergeared shaman healer, retri pala,boomkin and feral druid.

Not ideal setup like you can see. We tried once,everyone on the adds. Wiped at like 50%. Then i tell the DPS to go ALL out on the boss and i will tank adds + him. I just ran around taunting adds and stunning them and gather them up. Also used LoH, bubble and Pots on him.

At last we actually got him down after som crazy DPS from those 3 O.o
Araveni

Postby Invisusira » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:22 pm

F heroic MT.

I've never really had a problem with killing Shaf unless it's a pug that doesn't know how to kill the ads. Kill ALL and ANY sparks -> then mans that have spawned -> then boss. He doesn't hit that hard so you can stay up with minimal heals.
Invisusira

Postby Worldie » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:38 pm

For last boss, i usually war my threat set and tell the party to ignore the mobs and nuke him. I spend the time aggroing the adds.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Mortehl » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:07 pm

Keys to beating Shaffar in order of importance:

1) Ignore the adds
2) See 1
3) Use Blessing of Freedom whenever its off cooldown
4) Dispell frost nova when BoF is down.
5) Have someone who is capable and if available in the group AOE fear the adds away from your healer. They're casters so BoP isn't going to help.
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Postby Nathanniel » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:51 pm

Well, I've tried wearing fire and frost resistance gear and still managed to be around 13k hp. Ironically even though I resisted his fire damage his frost went all through.

I already use blessing of freedom on frost novas, so nothing new there. I guess my biggest problem is the adds. I gotta start working harder on taunting them all to me.
Nathanniel

Postby Invisusira » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:12 pm

If you're having problems with ads, you might want to just kill them. Looks like I'm in the minority here, but I always kill ads when I do H MT. No need for BoF - you have cleanse. My 2 key is a self-cleanse macro, I don't think I could live without it ^^

I just focus on the boss and the group zergs down the ads. They die fast, and as long as you kill the sparks quickly you won't get any of the guys spawning.
Invisusira

Postby Merise » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:34 pm

I used to have a lot of trouble with this fight as well. Lately have been using the ae tanking the adds and zerging the boss strat, with one dps helping kill a few adds. No more.

If you have a lock just ignore the adds altogether AE tank them and have the lock cast seed of corruption on shaffar. I'd call the fight a dps race. Tell everyone to blow their cooldowns ASAP. Don't hold back. Do the same for max threat. I go in with AW blazing cast AS and judge righteousness before I'm in melee and never let up.

I use Frost aura. If you have a shaman use frost and have them drop a fire resist totem. If the adds are out of control or the healer is in trouble fear. but it can mess with aggro on the adds. I also have about 450 spell damage for this fight.

Personally I find the fight very similar to the black stalker. An early zerg blowing all your cooldowns seems to work very well. Just be sure you frontload your threat very fast. Because telling a boomkin or elemental shaman to not hold back can be very interesting at times lol :D
Merise

Postby Jadlak » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:33 pm

When we do it (and yes done it a few times - it's one of our farm badges run) we just have the mage of the party deal with the adds. And everyone else nukes the boss *hard*. The sooner he's down the less over-run the mage is.

Basically the strat we use is...

Pull, kill one beacon, go to boss. sheep 2nd beacon, 3rd beacon (and onwards) is nuked by mage (also had a hunter do this)
Jadlak

Postby Aarek » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:14 am

Yeah, I've been doing Heroic Mana Tombs a lot lately and I find nuking one beacon and then burning the boss down the best strategy from the groups I've done em with. Like other posters, I just front load threat on the boss and then spam the heck outta consecration, while all the dps is on the boss, using taunt to pull the adds that get outta to far away from me back to me.

We also just recently got the thing to open and kill Yor, which by the way, is the easiest boss in the instance, so hurray for 4 badge Mana Tomb runs, not to mention the rings he drops are about equivalent to Headless Horsemen rings. Got my Fel Barrier two nights ago and now all I need is those tanking bracers.

Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'.
Aarek

Postby Vanifae » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:17 am

Invisusira wrote:If you're having problems with ads, you might want to just kill them. Looks like I'm in the minority here, but I always kill ads when I do H MT. No need for BoF - you have cleanse. My 2 key is a self-cleanse macro, I don't think I could live without it ^^

I just focus on the boss and the group zergs down the ads. They die fast, and as long as you kill the sparks quickly you won't get any of the guys spawning.

That is the strategy I use.

It works well.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Stylaan » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:19 am

Invisusira wrote:If you're having problems with ads, you might want to just kill them. Looks like I'm in the minority here, but I always kill ads when I do H MT. No need for BoF - you have cleanse. My 2 key is a self-cleanse macro, I don't think I could live without it ^^

I kill adds too, but the beacons typically spawn into ethereals before my groups can fully kill one so I tell them to wait until the little men have come out before killing them.

I've done the AoE tank/fear/burn strategy too, it's alright if you have a strong healer, idealy a paladin with conc aura and decent stamina to heal himself when the adds will invariably turn against him but I always found killing the adds safer.
Stylaan

Postby Zaffira » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:39 pm

Did this today and got the Fel Barrier too--nice!

Our group was: Holy Priest, Lock, Rogue, Hunter and Me.

Our strategy was to kill the first two beacons that flank him when you start the fight, then just burn him down while I pick up adds with consecrate. Worked fairly well although a few adds slipped away I couldn't get back when taunt was on cooldown.

At the very end it was just the hunter, priest and myself left. The adds were getting very overwhelming--I was tanking about 20 adds at this point.

The Priest was oom so I waited until the last second and blew a LOH. We got the boss down to about 1500k when the hunter went down. Blew my last pots then I went down. Priest managed to down him solo with about 800k hp left. Priest then died due to adds. Complete group wipe, but we got him, lol!

It was fun coming back and aoe burning down the adds. I realized how quick they really do go down when the group is focused so I would probably have the group try burning down the adds first next time I try him (though I don't know if I will because I got the Shield). :-D
Zaffira

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics