Remove Advertisements

New to protection spec

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

New to protection spec

Postby Heso » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:58 am

Hey first time poster here and I had a quick question regarding mana. I am dual specced ret and prot, finally I tried out protection over the past few days. I pulled three undead mobs and ran out of mana by the time the first mob went down. I have read all about AoE grinding with prot but was wondering how you manage your mana? Potions? Drinks? Do I need gear with Int on it?

Also, I am under the impression that if/when I tank for a group the heals will raise my mana, is that accurate?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions/comments!
Heso

Re: New to protection spec

Postby Mert » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:41 am

Assuming you're level 80, you want to use Divine Plea before the pull (make sure you have 2/2 Guarded by the Light as this will give you 100% chance to refresh its duration for each melee swing), be using Blessing of Sanctuary (returns mana for each attack you avoid) and, if you're in an instance, you'll get mana back from Spiritual Attunement if you have points in it (1/2 is enough for most tanks, though ymmv depending on your gear).

You certainly don't need +Int, +mp5, +Spi or anything like it on your gear at all - if you're soloing, Blessing of Sanctuary will be your primary source of mana return so always have it up and if you're dropping low then simply pull more mobs and cut Consecration from your rotation for a bit until it goes back up again. Judge Wisdom outside of raids unless you have another Paladin with you and you should be fine.

In a raid, you get mana from BoSanc for each hit you avoid and you get mana from SA from healers topping you up from hits you don't avoid so it's very rare to go oom in a raid unless you massively outgear the content.
Mert

Postby Isetnefret » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:04 am

Mert wrote:unless you massively outgear the content.

Which can always be remedied by pulling more.
Isetnefret . . - . . Gavoryn

Those of you on the port side of the plane can look out and see the Grand Canyon. Those of you on the starboard can look out and see a cloud shaped like a horsey.
Isetnefret

Postby Wrathy » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:42 am

The other thing you may be doing that is not necessary is using consecrate. Consecrate is the biggest mana hog on your action bar. If you find yourself soloing less than 5 mobs and you are running out of mana, just stop using consecrate and you should be fine.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby kanst » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:14 am

You said undead so I will first say don't use holy wrath, it costs a lot of mana.

3 mobs isnt gonna be easy mana wise since its not that many. If you have mana issues judge wisdom and use seal of wisdom. Both cons and avengers shield are big mana drains so I would use them sparingly.

What was your goal did you just wanna try some aoe grinding?
kanst

Postby Heso » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:06 am

I am level 77 currently and my plan was to become a tank that my guild could/would rely on for raiding, etc.

Here are my builds:
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... tervention

I will apply all of the feedback everyone has provided and will come back to let you know how I am doing!

Thanks again!
Heso

Postby Argali » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:54 pm

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21933#p404163

Go read. Much details within.
Argali

Postby Mert » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:01 am

Isetnefret wrote:Which can always be remedied by pulling more.

My friend thought I was crazy when I told him to go stand in the Whelp egg part when soloing Onyxia. Gief manas, little dragons :D
Mert

Postby Heso » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:32 am

Thank you for providing the link!
Heso

Postby Isetnefret » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:58 am

Mert wrote:My friend thought I was crazy when I told him to go stand in the Whelp egg part when soloing Onyxia. Gief manas, little dragons :D

Ahaha. I had a friend who started around 2.3, so had never seen the old world content. I went to show him Onyxia and he died right off the bat. He freaked out when I intentionally ran deep into the whelp cave lol.
Isetnefret . . - . . Gavoryn

Those of you on the port side of the plane can look out and see the Grand Canyon. Those of you on the starboard can look out and see a cloud shaped like a horsey.
Isetnefret

Postby galefrae » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:27 am

I am new to prot. I would like to try out some grinding, and would like some input. Also what can I do to maximize my threat on multiple mobs. I know that these are noob questions, but I don't want to make prot pally's look bad, by doing something crazy, by making a group wipe in 5 man Heroics. Here is my armory link: ( http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n=Galefrae )

What are some good addons to use?
galefrae

Return to Basic Training & Talents