Remove Advertisements

[25] Yogg-0 in 3.2

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[25] Yogg-0 in 3.2

Postby Drae » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:23 am

Is it possible to make an addon that will give different raid marks to the 3 adds that get Shadow Beacon in the last phase?

If you read the 3.2 patch notes you can see that their names get changed from "Immortal Guardian" to "Marked Immortal Guardian" when they gain the buff, if that helps.

This is why I ask: we have 2 tanks, and 3 people taunting/distracting shotting the 3 beacon'd mobs away from Yogg and the other mobs. The issue is that even though these people are marking the add they're going to take, there's a high probability they might try and mark or taunt out the same mob, and this leads to confusion and likely a mistake, which means a wipe and another wasted attempt (frustrating considering you have to go through phase 1 and 2 every time). An addon or even some sort of macro that marked them automatically so we can simply assign a mark to each person would simplify things greatly.

If not, is there an alternate strat that would make this last phase easier :)? Has anyone on Maintankadin done or been attempting this fight since 3.2 hit?
Drae

Re: [25] Yogg-0 in 3.2

Postby Belloc » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:20 am

Set up a rotation on picking up adds. Tank 1 picks up first add, tank 2 second add, tank 1 third add, and so on. 5 seconds or so before beacons go out, spread the mobs into two groups (or 3 if you have a third tank). Hunter on the right taunts the rightmost add, hunter on the left taunts the leftmost add, and someone in the middle taunts the middlemost add. No marking required.

Now your hunters'/taunters' chances of taunting the same mob has dropped by a large amount. In fact, the only reason it should ever happen at this point is because of mis-click, which is far less likely than mis-identification.

If you want a backup, you could even have a paladin/warrior/druid DPS run out and be prepared to taunt in case someone screws up, but that shouldn't really be necessary.
Belloc

Postby Joanadark » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:15 am

My guild has a mod that can basically instantly mark all the beaconed adds with raid icons. Unfortunately, I'm not at liberty to share it until we actually defeat the encounter. I'm sure you can understand why. =-/
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Belloc » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:06 pm

I'm not sure if MagicMarker allows marking while in combat, but check it out. You should be able to configure it to mark only those that you want marked. It'll take some work, though, and it might not be completely updated yet.

And, again, I don't know if it works in combat.
Belloc

Postby Cakes » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:58 pm

I think one of my guildies modified Failbot to do the marking for them both pre and post 3.2. Let me see if I can get the modifications and I'll post them.
Former GM and Raid Leader of Midwinter - US PVE Ysera
Cakes

Postby Drae » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:31 am

Someone in the guild found a little something - if it works tonight I'll let you know :P

Belloc: The tanks obviously alternate picking up mobs, that's a given, but separating them a bit before the mark makes sense: I don't know if our tanks were already attempting to do that or not, but as you probably know things get pretty hectic in that phase.
Drae

Postby Joanadark » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:04 am

Finally killed it tonite. Ill get you a link to our mod.

http://cid-3a9204b9511cff92.skydrive.li ... Beacon.zip

person with the mod needs raid assist and just needs to run their mouse over all the adds when beacons go out.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby moduspwnens » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:20 am

Joanadark wrote:Finally killed it tonite. Ill get you a link to our mod.

http://cid-3a9204b9511cff92.skydrive.li ... Beacon.zip

person with the mod needs raid assist and just needs to run their mouse over all the adds when beacons go out.

To test it, change the spell ID it's looking for (should be very easy to find) to Greater Blessing of Kings (25898) and mouse over your raid. Pretty symbols!
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Joanadark » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:35 am

By the way we'll have a movie out in a few days. Holy Pally/Feral Druid tank perspective.
Joanadark

Postby Splug » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:33 am

Still a rough fight, even if drastically simplified from the previous version. We're making decent progress, but about 50% of last night's raid was lost to disconnects and swap time. Our big problem is just killing him in any reasonable timeframe - by the fourth beacon, Yogg's still at close to 10%. We've located several issues, so hopefully tonight's connections are more stable and we can finish this as well.

The annoying part is that my framerate falls apart in P3 already, and it gets worse if I try to record. I can't do the fight on my system if I'm trying to record... and the other guy who does it in our raids is out of town.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Psykewne » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:41 am

we were wiping at best around 12% at or shortly after the third beacon, seems mostly our issue was spending too much time to get adds back down on health. Having 2 rogues tonight rather than 1 should hopefully help a bit in that respec.

wipes in phase 3 mostly came with a missed beacon taunt or from one or two people going insane at a bad moment. There's really not much more complexity to this fight than in 10 man now, it's just reliant on solid dps and healing with a good attempt and it should drop.

Funnily we have yet to kill algalon 25 yet, although a 10% enrage last week makes us feel he will die this week anyway.
Celestial Defender Psykewne, Death's Demise - Talnivarr EU
Psykewne

Postby moduspwnens » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:20 am

I have a question. Since Yogg is limited to three beacons now and they change names, macros should make it fairly simple to pick out the beaconed mobs.

We plan to use a positioning like so:

EDIT: Meh, not showing up correctly. Trying with code brackets.
Code: Select all
A----------XXZXXZXX------------B
              |
              |
              C

Where A, B, and C are our taunters, Z are the two or three tanks, and X are the Guardians.. They'll each have a macro that /targets a marked add and taunts it. Since /target automatically targets the closest mob in frontal vision, as soon as the Beacons go out, A and B should hit their macros. This will taunt the two that are the closest to each of them, which are whichever ones are the furthest to the sides. A few seconds later, C will hit his macro, which should taunt the remaining one because by then, the marked ones for A and B will be on their way to them and C's will be the closest one.

That seems fairly foolproof, especially if C has a backup taunt (and he does, DK). The only thing that has me worried now is: What if the Beacon is put on a Guardian who has recently spawned, and thus is near full health? Noone but a tank will be able to survive a melee hit from him, and it would take some pretty amazing timing to have the taunt go off, explosion, then taunt back before the taunter is gibbed.
Last edited by moduspwnens on Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Joanadark » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:22 am

Splug wrote:Still a rough fight, even if drastically simplified from the previous version. We're making decent progress, but about 50% of last night's raid was lost to disconnects and swap time. Our big problem is just killing him in any reasonable timeframe - by the fourth beacon, Yogg's still at close to 10%. We've located several issues, so hopefully tonight's connections are more stable and we can finish this as well.

The annoying part is that my framerate falls apart in P3 already, and it gets worse if I try to record. I can't do the fight on my system if I'm trying to record... and the other guy who does it in our raids is out of town.

-Splug

How many people do you have AOEing adds during ESs? We only used Rogues and Shadow Priests and the Living Bombs the mages were already putting up on adds for extra hot streak procs.
Joanadark

Postby Splug » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:45 am

Yeah, that's what we were looking at- we also had the ret paladin trying to help with consecrate/divine storm, as well as the mages running a frostfire spec for full-time AE. We'd talked about pulling more to the boss.

Also, we had a couple adds that weren't getting pulled out consistently, so yogg picked up some healing he should not have.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Joanadark » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:09 pm

What if the Beacon is put on a Guardian who has recently spawned, and thus is near full health? Noone but a tank will be able to survive a melee hit from him, and it would take some pretty amazing timing to have the taunt go off, explosion, then taunt back before the taunter is gibbed.

This should never happen. Beacon prefers lower hp guardians. This is why the first ES will ALWAYS have the 3 beacons be on the first three adds that spawned. Thats garenteed. I beleive the specific mechanic is that there is a certain hp threshold that beacons will be randomly distributed among all mobs below.

Yeah, that's what we were looking at- we also had the ret paladin trying to help with consecrate/divine storm, as well as the mages running a frostfire spec for full-time AE. We'd talked about pulling more to the boss.

Also, we had a couple adds that weren't getting pulled out consistently, so yogg picked up some healing he should not have.

-Splug

yeah thats way too much AOE. Mages are one of your higher sources of boss DPS. They should be Fire, and on Yog full time except for Living Bombs on the adds, which is only to give them hot streak procs when they explode and also hit yog.

And a heal going on Yog is pretty much a certain wipe. We had a heartbreaking 400k wipe because a heal went on the boss a few attempts before out actual kill. It made the difference between killing it on the 8th and the 9th due to the extra 40 minutes taking us past midnight.
Joanadark

Next

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon