Question: % block.

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Question: % block.

Postby Failuhdin » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:24 pm

Okay:

So I was observing a guild conversation in /g and I noticed something by a high-ranking officer Holy Paladin (off-specs Prot) saying that % block was . . . desirable. I stated that yes, it is, but after 102.4%, Parry and Dodge are much better because, well, you're not being damaged. He tells me that more block % (even after 102.4%) makes tankadins easier to heal, and that it's worth stacking as a means of threat. Stacking block rating after 102.4% makes NO SENSE TO ME. Shouldn't you want to MINIMIZE %block while staying 102.4? What the hell is he talking about?! Also, his tanking spec is fail, and i only tankadin on my alt, but he's confusing me.

Thanks,
A concerned rogue that also likes to tankadin!
Failuhdin

Re: Question: % block.

Postby Kalakaua » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:48 pm

He's wrong.
Kalakaua

Postby Failuhdin » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:45 pm

Kalakaua wrote:He's wrong.

Thought so. He actually recommends maintaining 20% block on the paladin pre-app. Pisses me off when people speak so "matter of fact"ly when it's obvious they haven't done more than a minute of research. *sigh*.
Failuhdin

Postby Zeianna » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:40 am

It appears to me that he is confusing (or maybe combining) block rating and block value. Block rating is useless after 102.4%, and you should minimize it while staying reasonably close to that total (take raid buffs into account). Block value however is a very useful stat for a threat set, and it technically provides a small level of survivability, but dodge and parry should always be valued over it (again, outside of a specific threat set).
My blog: Avenger's Shield
theckhd wrote:Don't worry, they'll screw something else up so we can have Deathwing Radiance.
Zeianna

Postby Isetnefret » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:04 am

Firstly, as long as you hit 102.4%, I couldn't give a shit how you got there. 0 block rating? fantastic!

It doesn't matter. The end result is always the same, you will not take an unmitigated (by block value) hit. Best case scenario is that you will hardly get hit at all.

However, not getting hit ever is completely unrealistic. It's GOING to happen. Enter: block value.

For all the people decrying its usefulness, I LOVE block value. I stack the living shit out of block value and armor.

I have much better trinkets, but I go with defender's code and seal of the pantheon just because...why not? Nothing better that I can think of.

I have your traditional 60% dodge/parry/miss set, but I never wear it, unless I'm tanking IC or something. Otherwise, it's pretty much what you see in my armory right now.

I've actually been laughed at when joining PuG raids, but here's what I do know, no tank in them generates anywhere NEAR as much threat as me.

So, we can fall asleep waiting for the 40k health warrior to pull 2-3 mobs at a time, or we can finish Nax in a couple hours with me pulling half an entire wing at once, and surviving with undergeared healers.

People have their priorities all F'ed up. I completely understand the purpose behind having a progression set of gear, but why would you ever wear it on non-progression content?

It becomes even more evident on fights like Kel'Thuzzad. Hunters don't have to FD? Win.

I laugh at Vigilance....and the fact that we don't need it.....if you gear properly.
Isetnefret . . - . . Gavoryn

Those of you on the port side of the plane can look out and see the Grand Canyon. Those of you on the starboard can look out and see a cloud shaped like a horsey.
Isetnefret

Return to Basic Training & Talents