3.2 Ardent Defender: worthless cooldown but completely OP

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Re: 3.2 Ardent Defender: worthless cooldown but completely OP

Postby Avengeance » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:52 pm

FYI, AD doesnt save u if you fall to death, I tried :P Has to be attacks.
Avengeance of Boulderfist-EU
Guild Master of High Tempest
Avengeance

Postby Zeratuel » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:39 pm

One of my healers saw this proc during the raid tonight and said that he thought I went up to 8% hp (with 42k hp).... He suggested the idea that the 30% might be BASE hitpoints.... ok, i have to say.. this would kinda suck... So, has anyone started collecting actual numbers? I've not been getting accurate enough logs to prove valuable to me yet.
Zeratuel

Postby Nadir » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:41 pm

I died, but didn't die in phase 3 of a Yogg 0 kill. The cooldown is certainly worth something. :P
Nadir

Postby Noradin » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:54 am

Thels wrote:
Knaughty wrote:Grats, flat 10.5% EH boost, provided by universal mitigation, which is more powerful than a health boost.

65% / 1 = 65%
35% / 0.7 = 50%

Total EH is 115%.

That's best case scenario on live (which is why we never count it as such, unreliable).

It would be worst case scenario on the ptr right after being introduced (still, since only this part would not be leapfroggable, it always counts).

With the fix to AD (only the damage below 35% being mitigated), it's exactly what happens, regardless of luck.

In addition, we require somewhat less healing when pushed below 35%, but this can only be up to 15% less, and that is when we're actually knocked down to 1%.

Healing is more powerfull when below 35%, but block is less effective in that range since it is applied before AD. If we count block to our EH due to 100% blockchance it will be only be 65% as effective if we end up under 35% after the hit.
ImageImage
Noradin

Postby Argali » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:25 am

Zeratuel wrote:One of my healers saw this proc during the raid tonight and said that he thought I went up to 8% hp (with 42k hp).... He suggested the idea that the 30% might be BASE hitpoints.... ok, i have to say.. this would kinda suck... So, has anyone started collecting actual numbers? I've not been getting accurate enough logs to prove valuable to me yet.

No, the ardent defender heals you for 30% of your hp, minus the overkill damage you took.
Argali

Postby Kriskringle » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:22 am

Argali wrote:
Zeratuel wrote:One of my healers saw this proc during the raid tonight and said that he thought I went up to 8% hp (with 42k hp).... He suggested the idea that the 30% might be BASE hitpoints.... ok, i have to say.. this would kinda suck... So, has anyone started collecting actual numbers? I've not been getting accurate enough logs to prove valuable to me yet.

No, the ardent defender heals you for 30% of your hp, minus the overkill damage you took.

Zeratuel - Do you have a log of the fight? I think it's more likely that you got hit quickly after the AD proc, or the healer was just mistaken.

Argali - I have been following the threads on this, and I'm not convinced that what you're saying is right. What the available logs seem to indicate is that on a killing blow, the character's HP never drops to 0. Instead, they either get healed to 30%, take damage down to 30%, or stay at exactly 30%, and the rest of the damage from the attack is listed as (Absorbed). For instance, in Zeratuel's post on the last page, I imagine that he was exactly 3707 HP below the 30% mark when he took the hit that procced AD.
Kriskringle - 80 - Duskwood
Greatfather Winter is a sham.
Kriskringle

Postby Argali » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:11 am

My information was correct like last time I checked when it was on the PTR, so it's probably not correct anymore.
Argali

Postby Noradin » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:09 pm

Argali wrote:

You mean "minus some seemingly random number related to overkill damage via some convoluted equation that is most likely not working as intended"?
ImageImage
Noradin

Postby Fetzie » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:39 pm

I tested the AD on sapphiron's frost bomb the other day, from full health (about 44k at the time) the combat log said approximatly this(verbatim, numbers from memory, should have logged the combat but I forgot):

Sapphirons frost breath hits you for 27000 damage (34000 resisted) (70000 absorbed)
You get ardent defender debuff

I was at about 16k life after the rezz+heal animation, and did not take any noticeable damage for 3+ seconds after the bomb hit me.

NB: I could not find any entry that stated that I was healed.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Noradin » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:09 am

It seems like AD completely absorbs killingblows and heals you for the difference between 30% of your maxhp and those hp you had bevore you took the averted killingblow and thus setting you back to 30% of your maxhp.

(The other possibility to implement this would hab been to absorb overkilldamage and heal you for 30% of your maxhp.)
ImageImage
Noradin

Previous

Return to Basic Training & Talents