Looking for a good spec to use for healing AND dps

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Looking for a good spec to use for healing AND dps

Postby Marrus » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:58 am

My main spec is prot and until recently, I had a secondary prot spec as well that I rarely used.

Since it seems we'll be doing daily dungeons again for the triumph emblems, I'd like to be able to fulfill a dps or healer role for heroics if I have to.

I know I can heal or dps in heroics without even bothering to change specs, but since I do have a spec slot that I'm not really doing anything with, I was wondering if anyone had a good talent/glyph spec that I could use for both healing *and* dps (in heroics) that would perform both roles better than simply putting on my holy or ret gear while still in prot spec?
Marrus

Re: Looking for a good spec to use for healing AND dps

Postby Magnusharkov » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:06 am

I would go for something like http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?paladin ... sion=10192

should be good enough to heal heroics and you pretty much have full ret dps talents.
Magnusharkov

Postby andx » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:20 am

Marrus wrote:My main spec is prot and until recently, I had a secondary prot spec as well that I rarely used.

Since it seems we'll be doing daily dungeons again for the triumph emblems, I'd like to be able to fulfill a dps or healer role for heroics if I have to.

I know I can heal or dps in heroics without even bothering to change specs, but since I do have a spec slot that I'm not really doing anything with, I was wondering if anyone had a good talent/glyph spec that I could use for both healing *and* dps (in heroics) that would perform both roles better than simply putting on my holy or ret gear while still in prot spec?

haha when I'm asked to heal heroics i just use my ret spec throw on my healing gear and go for it. Sheath Of Light HoTs on the tank while you get the rest of the group up is nice. I dont think, assuming you still need to build those gear sets, there is a spec that will be good for both because for good Ret dps you really need to be in that tree balls deep. You can't spec into both trees and expect to do anything well. Pallys are built on going deep into a tree and shallow into others. In my opinion the best way to do both is to go ret and build a good healing set and then just heal in ret when needed. For that you just need to judge often for mana and be smart about your heals. Possibly keep a stack of Glyph of Holy Light to pop in sometimes.

Short answer: IMO you can't hybrid a holy/ret pally and expect to do both extremely well.

Andx
Maybe I just have a disease or an addiction to tanking, my gf says I'm a masochist I say I like it rough, either way I'm a tank and I can't escape it.
andx

Postby Marrus » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:03 am

Short answer: IMO you can't hybrid a holy/ret pally and expect to do both extremely well.

I'm not looking for "extremely well". I'm just looking for "better than healing/dpsing while in prot spec".

My off spec gear is fairly good for both holy and ret... mostly naxx25 or better...

I do take the point that deep ret/shallow holy seems to be the best choice for a dps/healing "hybrid" spec. That said, I'm thinking about this talent/glyph spec. It starts off with Magnusharkov's suggested spec, drops PoJ, Aura Mastery and 3 points of Divine Strength in order to pick up 5 points of illumination and 1 more point of Swift Retribution. That way, I get holy style mana-regen-on-crit at the cost of a bit of dps and a bit of utility.

I'm unsure about the glyph choices though...
Marrus

Postby Shoju » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:55 am

Honestly, just go full on normal ret, and toss on your heal gear.

remember to keep SS on tank at all times.

FoL as much as possible

Judge the mob with light if possible

remember that wings gives you + healing too.
Shoju

Postby Jasari » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:23 pm

Spec ret.

It's easier to heal in holy gear with ret spec than to DPS in holy spec with ret gear.
Jasari

Postby Corpsicle » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:14 pm

I've dual specced holy and prot and I would never consider holy a 'viable' tree for even loldps in heroics in. Its great for healing, but with a well geared group it is a bit over kill. :) If you did go holy spec / prot spec, I'd put your best bv gear on, click off RFury, and loldps in that.

For a spec that will do good dps and still heal, go full ret. Healing in ret spec with good gear is similar to healing in TBC. Just keep judging on cooldown for some mana regen, and melee with seal of wisdom up as much as you can.
Corpsicle

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes