Remove Advertisements

Coloseum Tactics...at least abit

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Coloseum Tactics...at least abit

Postby Goodheart » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:37 pm

I went through some movies and the abilities of each boss and made these tactics for my guild.
Thought I'd share them here ^^
It's stil lvery much Work In Progress though.

Since there are no tactics available yet from the usual sources, only boss abilities and kill movies, I've tried to compile some tactics of my own.
I've made these by checking the known abilities and movies, so they are most definitly not 100% correct or complete, but every bit of knowledge helps.
All the links point to the abilities and their tooltips, so click it ^^
Anyway without further ado the first bosses:
Last edited by Goodheart on Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Goodheart

Re: Coloseum Tactics...at least abit

Postby Goodheart » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:37 pm

Northrend Beasts
The first boss are actually 4 bosses in a row. You will not always go out of combat between them, so ressing is not always possible.

First up is Gormok.
He interrupts casts within 15 yards, so casters stay away.
There is also a damage ability with a nasty stackable dot.
A tank switch is needed at 2-3 stacks of the debuff.
Snobolds jump out of his fur, onto the players back, which will randomly Crowd Control him until the snobold is killed. Ranged should take care of them.
Finally, the boss will throw around a bomb that will leave a patch of fire, naturally, bad fire is baaad!

After he is dead, the next two bosses come:
the Twin Yormungar: Acidmaw and Dreadscale
One of the wurms will be mobile, while the other is dug halfway into the ground.
They switch their "roles" by burrowing into the ground during the fight.
Each of them have a cone attack so always keep them faced away from the raid.
There will also be a Poison Cloud (like Grobbulus) at the mobile wurm, therefore it should be kited slightly.
When Dreadmaw is mobile he will place a burning debuff on the tank. Acidmaw will place a poison debuff on a random raid member that will slowly reduce your movement speed. If you move close to the tank with the burning debuff, the poison will be removed.
While Acidmaw is mobile, this is essentially reverser, a random raid member gets burned, and must move to the kiting tank to dispel him.
Some of their abilities hit nearby allies, so spread out.

Once you're done with those two, the final beast Icehowl comes.
Tanks get stunned by a headbutt and need to be rotated.
The raid should spread out around him, since he freezes everyone in a random direction.
Melee watch out for his whirl, and move out if you're low on health.
When everyone get's knocked back and stunned, be ready to run to the side the moment the stun ends. Simply watch in what direction he is facing and move out of his rather wide path. There will also be a raidwarning about who is being targeted. He will be stunned if he misses his target, and enraged when he kills it.
Last edited by Goodheart on Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:15 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Goodheart

Postby Goodheart » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:38 pm

Lord Jaraxxus
Jeraxxas himself has alot of damage abilities at his disposal;
A single target fireball with DoT.
A debuff that hurts allies within 15 yards.
A chain lightning.
A shadow debuff that spreads to nearby allies.
These should be healed through, and damage can be minimised by spreading out.
There are two abilities that are a bit different;
The first is a debuff that causes you to leave fire patches on the ground.
If you get that, you should run to the wall and start running circles to place the fire patches out of the way.
The second is another debuff, but it absorbs healing. It will absorb a heavy ammount of healing, after which is will be cleansed. if not cleansed in this way within 15 seconds, it will cause a massive explosion. Obviously healers should focus on this.
There will also be two different adds.
If a Nether Portal appear, a Mistress of Pain will spawn.
She has a whirlwind, a random leap, and an interrupt, and she should be nuked down.
If a vulcano appear, 3 infernals will spawn. These must be focussed on by all dps immidiatly, because soon after they spawn, they will fly to a random player, and start casting a hellfire effect (like prince).
It looks like this will be a very healing intensive fight.
Goodheart

Faction Champions
NO INFO AVAILABLE
If anyone finds even a shred of info on these guys, that'll be a great help.
It looks like a arena style fight, just like magister terrace.
Goodheart

Twin Valkyrs
Under construction
At the start half the raid clicks a black portal, and the other a white portal.
Black attacks Lightbane, white attacks Darkbane.
Absorb the orbs of your color, avoid those of the opposite.
Change color by clicking the portal when your mob is casting vortex.
Burst bubble when it appears and interrupt heal, like kaelthas.
Goodheart

Postby Goodheart » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:39 pm

Anub'arak
Under construction
Crowd Control (Shackle Undead) the adds that appear.
When the boss burrows, kill the adds.
While burrowed, he will chase random players. The chased player should run to a frosted area.
Frosted area spawn from a certain type of mob.
Not sure about this, but the boss seem to be unable to burrow while on ice.
At the end will use leeching swarm, health leeched is a % of current hp, so keep the raid low on health(!?!?) to lower the ammount he heals.
Goodheart

Postby Markoh » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:29 pm

Heres the tactic we used to one shot it.

Zone in 25 ppl start pull, someone yell oh shit its starting. Tank the boss away from raid, collect loots.

I wasn't expecting it to be "hard" but this boss is like maybe naxx level, very sad.
Markoh

Postby Belloc » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:57 pm

Markoh wrote:Heres the tactic we used to one shot it.

Zone in 25 ppl start pull, someone yell oh shit its starting. Tank the boss away from raid, collect loots.

I wasn't expecting it to be "hard" but this boss is like maybe naxx level, very sad.

So, how many people did you lose to the aoe dot in phase 2? How long did it take before you got an attempt where the last boss didn't enrage and wipe you?

Or did you really just one-shot it, because I have trouble believing that. This boss is hardly naxx level. Yes, it's easy, but it's also normal mode. Beasts are easily more difficult than Razorscale and Ignis. Probably even harder than XT, not that that is saying much.
Belloc

Postby Wulfhere » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:46 pm

Some notes I gleaned from our normal mode 10-man kill of the beasts event. Note that we are in Naxx25/Uld10 gear for the most part.

For the Implaer, ranged spread out and move out of fire (you knew that though)

We did tank swaps at 2 stacks of impale. The 2nd tank's stack will not wear off until about 5 seconds into the 2nd stack on the current tank, if you taunt as it falls off, you can continuously rotate 2 stacks. Three stacks certainly wasn't fatal however.

We mostly ignored the adds unless they were on a healer or tank and then cleaned them up in during the transition to the worms.

Dual Worm bosses gave us the most trouble. We dps'd the non-rooted worm exclusively while its tank kited him.

It seemed the majority of the time that the kiting tank got the Burning Bile debuff.

Sometimes during root / non-root swaps, a healer or dps got the debuff.

Those that get the Paralyzing Spray must move within 5-10 yds of the person with the Burning Bile debuff to remove it.

If the kiting tank gets it, whoever has it has to run to him to remove it.

When one worm dies, the other enrages, but it didn't seem to be too bad.

The Yeti was the easiest for us, once we got to him, we killed him. Basically a tank and spank, he does the stun / charge, but only a couple of people died from it.

I think we got lucky, in that, the tank was chosen for the first 3 or 4 charges.
Wulfhere

Postby Goodheart » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:29 pm

Thanks for the response wulfhere, as I'm on a EU server I can't yet test my own tactics so the input is very much apreciated :P

Wulfhere wrote:We did tank swaps at 2 stacks of impale.

Sounds like a threat based ability, instead of random like I thought myself.

Wulfhere wrote:We dps'd the non-rooted worm exclusively while its tank kited him.

Kiting? Is that needed in this fight? None of his abilities seem to suggest that, neither was it done in the movie.
EDIT: nvm, the poison cloud offcourse, just like ol'grob ><

Wulfhere wrote:I think we got lucky, in that, the tank was chosen for the first 3 or 4 charges.

Isn't the charge avoidable? Again in the movie they managed to avoid him after messing up the first, stunning the boss in the progress.

Ow and the movie I keep referring to is this one.
Goodheart

Postby ehly » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:02 pm

Goodheart wrote:
Wulfhere wrote:We did tank swaps at 2 stacks of impale.

Sounds like a threat based ability, instead of random like I thought myself.

He places it on the current tank.

Wulfhere wrote:We dps'd the non-rooted worm exclusively while its tank kited him.

Kiting? Is that needed in this fight? None of his abilities seem to suggest that, neither was it done in the movie.
EDIT: nvm, the poison cloud offcourse, just like ol'grob ><

One of the worms drops a cloud at its current spot.

Wulfhere wrote:I think we got lucky, in that, the tank was chosen for the first 3 or 4 charges.

Isn't the charge avoidable? Again in the movie they managed to avoid him after messing up the first, stunning the boss in the progress.

Ow and the movie I keep referring to is this one.

Heck..here is a full write up I did for my guild:

-=-=-=-

10-man btw (we do 25 later in the week)

It is all 3 beast encounters with no real rest period between.

This is how we did it:

Phase1 - The Impaler

Once you understand the mechanics this is very cut and dry fight. We used two tanks. The first tank picks up the boss, after two debuffs the second tank taunts the boss. The first tank might have to auto attack so as not to over threat the second tank. The first tank waits until the moment their impale debuff falls off and taunts the boss back. The second tank then does the same. This prevent any one tank from ever receiving more than 3 debuffs, which is a pain to heal especially in 10man.

The rest of the raid dps's the boss, and moves out of fires. Ocassionally the boss will sic a kobold on a person. We had ALL dps (both melee and ranged) go to that person and kill the kobold. It is killable with ignoring them, but we found this kept the damage down for the healers.

This is the easiest of the three encounters.

Phase 2 - Two Worms

This fight I feel it is best to understand in multiple phases:

Phase A - The Fire Worm walks in, and the Acid Worm digs out of the ground. At this point the acid worm goes to ranged spit attacks, and will not be move-able in any way. The second Fire worm will be moveable, but must be faced away from the raid as he does a fire breath, and also will drop a green cloud at his feet from time to time that expands like the Grobbulus clouds. So the tank on the fire worm must move the worm from time to time.

During this encounter phase the acid worm will spit a paralyzing poison on random members of the raid. The only way to remove this is be a debuff that the fire worm puts on a person. We found that in this phase he will almost always do it on the fire worm tank. So members of the raid with the poison must start running towards that tank asap.

Both worms should be faced away from the raid. We had most the raid spread out in the middle, and all dps focused on the acid worm.

After some time both worms will dig into the ground and reappear in a random spot in the arena and reset aggro. This marks the phase A&B change.

Phase B - The Acid worm will now be movable and will drop green clouds at its feet. The Fire Worm will also switch to full ranged attacks and will not be movable. During this time the player who receives the fire debuff will be random. Its important not to stand near this player as you will take damage from them. We found many times that this player must run to the acid tank as soon as they get the debuff; as the tank tends to get the paralyzing poison around this phase change.

The two worms will cycle between these two states until you kill one. We always killed the Acid first. Once one of the worms is dead the remaining worm will soft enrage.

Phase C - The now enraged worm will pretty much stay in melee mode and thus drop clouds at its feet repeatedly. We just kited the worm around the outer ring with the healers and ranged staying in the middle.

Phase 3 - "Did you get the name of that Semi Truck"

In the last phase you fight a giant Yeti. This is perhaps the hardest of the three. But in hind sight once you understand it, again its really not so bad. Its all about the reflex of how to run away.

We decide to tank him against the wall, right under the Horde shield. this worked very well for us. The boss will do various knock back attacks, and freezing breaths. So it is important the raid is spread out so as to keep many players from being frozen.

From time to time he we leap to the very middle of the Arena doing a stunning knockdown. He will then focus his gaze on one player. Anyone in front of him...in his path..in the general area in front of him...will be killed. Luck for us they buff you with a speed buff.

The trick is look where the boss is facing, and then point yourself away from that area; and hold down whatever key/mouse button you use to move. The second the stun wears off you will then run away from his path.

He will then smack his head into the wall and be vulnerable. This is the ideal time to use bloodlust for maximum damage.

Rinse and repeat and this is a win.
ehly

Postby Meloree » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:11 am

Belloc wrote:Or did you really just one-shot it, because I have trouble believing that. This boss is hardly naxx level. Yes, it's easy, but it's also normal mode. Beasts are easily more difficult than Razorscale and Ignis. Probably even harder than XT, not that that is saying much.

I believe it, we one-shot it as well. It really is dirt-easy-zergable, and I'm pretty certain Markoh's guild is a better guild than mine.

--
Meloree, <Edge>, Garona
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby baleogthefierce » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:25 am

Yeah these fights were disappointingly easy. Combine that with the buffs to pally tanking and it was a "fun" night of free 245 lewts before our server went down for the night. We went into these fights without reading anything about them or testing on the PTR just to have a bit of fun learning them, and ended up 2-pulling the encounter :/

Gormok
Other than the 15yd interrupt, there's really not much to worry about here. Nuke the boss, heal people who get an add stuck to them, AoE the adds while the worms come out.

Initially we were tank switching on 3-4 stacks of Impale, then on the second pull we decided to see if you could remove the DoT with immunity effects. DS and HoP both remove the effect, and because of the minimal raid healing you can stack it to 7-8 before your healers start having mini heart attacks whenever the DoT ticks. Just spam your bubbletaunt macro to clear it and you can proceed to tank for another 7-8 stacks.

NOT ONE, BUT TWO JORMUNGARS
The easiest way to do this fight is to get the achievement. If you do decide to kill one and then the other, take out Acidmaw first or you won't have any way to clear the toxin from your raid once Dreadscale dies. Pretty simple fight, just face them away from the raid, reposition out of poison clouds, and send your folks with burning bile to cleanse the people with toxin (we just had the tank do it while the worms submerged or have DPS run to the tank before they get paralyzed).

Icehowl
Spread out around the room. Nuke him down. Pop hero when he smashes into the wall. We failed on this once when no one moved out of the way of his charge after the jump to the center, but once you realize that he's going to charge the direction he is facing when the emote displays (plus you get a nice movement speed boost) it's cake.
baleogthefierce

Postby Markoh » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:03 pm

Um I don't know how to convince you we one shot it. It's not just easy its SEVERELY undertuned. We had like 4 ppl die, one in phase 1 for some reason I don't know (its ok he was a shaman so hes allowed to make one mistake lol) and 3 ppl in p2 b/c we killed the non acid worm first and ended up having to use 3 tanks (me twice b/c you can bubble out of it) to kill him, and no one in p3 b/c well I don't see how you can die in that phase.

As for the enrage, I just tanked through it. It was nothing special, my ad didn't even go off; kind of disappointing b/c I made this amazingly annoying macro that I was going to spam when ad went off but I didn't get a chance to use it. :(

My favorite part of the fight was the speech b/c we made fun of Tirion and had a discussion about how could Thrall just sit there and watch us die. Other than that, snoozefest. WTB next boss and hardmodes.
Markoh

Postby Vrimmel » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:12 pm

Yep, pugged the 25 man boss on my server. 2-shot him, but had a pretty good group.
Vrimmel

Return to General Strats