Remove Advertisements

3.2 Reck/SotP or crusade?

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

3.2 Reck/SotP or crusade?

Postby Arnock » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:32 pm

So with the increases to SoV damage, and the 30% weapon damage on every swing, Would a crusade build still provide the most TPS in 3.2? Or would you get more out of a build with Reckoning and Seals of the Pure?

I remember seeing some napkin math a month or two ago that had SoB/Reckoning not too far below SoV/crusade with fair amounts of expertise/hit and a slow weapon. Seeing as the old seal of blood damage is essentially being tacked on to SoV, I was wondering if it could be more worthwhile. We'll still have the 10 expertise from the SoV glyph, there isn't as much of a concern of a parry gib. So I was wondering if anyone has run some numbers or done actual testing on this theory?

Just a few thoughts

-Best TPS with slow 1hander, but there is only one 2.0+speed tanking weapon atm that I know of, and blizz probably isn't likely to implement more, so there could be some scaling issues.
-SoV glyph reduces chance of parry gibbing, but still can be a small concern.
-TPS is more RNG oriented with reliance on reckoning procs
-reckoning procs early on can help stack the DoT faster
-Greatly increased Dps/Tps with fast hitting bosses or adds on you
-Lose 5% crit, Vindication, and 3% raid crit from ret, and this could be problematic if the SoV weapon damage can crit.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Re: 3.2 Reck/SotP or crusade?

Postby majiben » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:34 pm

Look at the recent discussion in viewtopic.php?f=6&t=20823
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby knaughty » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:14 pm

If Theck's thread is "TL;DR"

• Crusade > SotP if you're still in Naxx or going to do Coliseum. SotP is better for Ulduar.
• Reckoning is now OK threat, but SotP/Conviction/etc are better

My view on Reckoning is: "Now decent, but you should get DS/DG instead for your 3 floater points in Prot"

With SotP being quite good, there are now more TPS talents than we can actually collect, especially if you're picking up utility/debuff talents (which you should be).
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Nadir » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:42 pm

I'd argue that DS/ 2 HOJ would provide more utility in certain AC encounters. For example, being able to stun the Anub'arak adds every 20 seconds fairly powerful in terms of avoided damage. You'll also decrease the speed at which the adds apply the stacking +physical damage % taken debuff.
Nadir

Postby Arnock » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:34 pm

Knaughty wrote:If Theck's thread is "TL;DR"

• Crusade > SotP if you're still in Naxx or going to do Coliseum. SotP is better for Ulduar.

My view on Reckoning is: "Now decent, but you should get DS/DG instead for your 3 floater points in Prot"

With SotP being quite good, there are now more TPS talents than we can actually collect, especially if you're picking up utility/debuff talents (which you should be).

Kinda curious as to why SotP would be better for ulduar, but less valuable for naxx or coliseum

does it have anything to do with the t8 2 piece bonus?
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Selinaria » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:44 pm

It's not less valuable in naxx/coliseum Arnock, but Crusade is more valuable (in those areas) than SotP because most mobs in naxx and the coliseum fall under the extra 3% of Crusade for certain mobs.
Selinaria was suddenly surrounded by a gang of sharks, a cracked bat as her only protection!
Selinaria

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:44 pm

Arnock wrote:
Knaughty wrote:If Theck's thread is "TL;DR"

Kinda curious as to why SotP would be better for ulduar, but less valuable for naxx or coliseum

does it have anything to do with the t8 2 piece bonus?

Has to do with nothing in Ulduar being a Demon, Humanoid, or Undead.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Nadir » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:30 am

SotP will be superior for most Ulduar encounters, however Crusade will be superior for Yogg-Saron (humanoid adds), General Vezax (humanoid), and Algalon (elemental). Given that many guilds will be progressing on Yogg 0 and Algalon even in 3.2, 53/18 is probably going to remain the most popular tank spec.
Nadir

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations